Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2018, 01:18 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,027,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
A Baptist minister who no doubt you are familiar with John Piper believes it means to be whole. Not sure if he is fundy or calvinist like yourself or he is like me and makes it up as he goes along.

Definition of Holy: Holy Means Whole: According to Dr. John Piper
It's a blog. He wrote an article where he speculates on what it means to us. He is not actually defining it, or doing a translation.

Keep in mind, Piper has an unblemished history of holding to the doctrine of the substitutionary atonement. It's inconceivable that he'd suggest a proper belief is universalism, or that we are to simply bask in God's love rather than to look to his word.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2018, 01:30 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,304,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
It's a blog. He wrote an article where he speculates on what it means to us. He is not actually defining it, or doing a translation.

Keep in mind, Piper has an unblemished history of holding to the doctrine of the substitutionary atonement. It's inconceivable that he'd suggest a proper belief is universalism, or that we are to simply bask in God's love rather than to look to his word.
I never said anything to the contrary about him. Will you put up or shut about explaining what holy is and if Jesus was holy which no doubt in your mind he is according to what you think is holy, then you should have no trouble expounding on it, rather than saying to me you're wrong you're wrong.

Old 03-28-2018, 01:40 PM

Quote:
I never said anything to the contrary about him. Will you put up or shut about explaining what holy is and if Jesus was holy which no doubt in your mind he is according to what you think is holy, then you should have no trouble expounding on it, rather than saying to me you're wrong you're wrong.
I already explained. To be holy means to be of God. To be set aside for his purpose. He is above man, and is not of common substance, like man. God is Holy. Jesus is Holy.

Now, what is your question besides that?

Old 03-28-2018, 01:50 PM

Quote:
I already explained. To be holy means to be of God. To be set aside for his purpose. He is above man, and is not of common substance, like man. God is Holy. Jesus is Holy.

Now, what is your question besides that?
No you have not, how do we recognize what is holy ?. I have asked you 3 times today and numeroius times before to explain it and you can't so how can you say what it isn't if you cannot explain what it is. It is the only question i am waiting for you to answer with explanation.

Old 03-28-2018, 01:56 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,397,293 times
Quote:
No you have not, how do we recognize what is holy ?. I have asked you 3 times today and numeroius times before to explain it and you can't so how can you say what it isn't if you cannot explain what it is. It is the only question i am waiting for you to answer with explanation.
It's not hard to recognize, eh? Look no further than what God IS -- God's very nature, love -- in order to recognize what is holy and wholly of God.

Old 03-28-2018, 01:56 PM

Quote:
If it's of God, it's Holy. Because that's what Holy means -- set aside to be used by God.

I'm sorry you're not understanding this. I don't know how else I can explain it. But the fact that I can't make you grasp it does not mean that I can't say what it is any more than my failing high school algebra meant the teacher was incapable of understanding it.

Old 03-28-2018, 02:04 PM

Quote:
If it's of God, it's Holy. Because that's what Holy means -- set aside to be used by God.

I'm sorry you're not understanding this. I don't know how else I can explain it. But the fact that I can't make you grasp it does not mean that I can't say what it is any more than my failing high school algebra meant the teacher was incapable of understanding it.
I am not understanding "your understanding" of it because you have not explained it.Being holy is not an office it is like any other attrbute of God that was and is manifested/demonstrated/revealed/made known through Jesus Christ. How do you know Jesus Christ was and is holy, why is God holy?. I would go as far to say that being holy is being in complete possession of body, soul and spirit.

When you have answered that question, then you can provide the scripture where it says God is wrath or wrath is an attribute of God.

Last edited by pcamps; 03-28-2018 at 02:17 PM..

Old 03-28-2018, 02:24 PM

20,442 posts, read 12,796,101 times
Quote:

You have set our iniquities before you,our secret sins in the light of your presence. Psalm 90:8

Your eyes are too pure to look on evil; Habakkuk 1:13

If you, LORD, kept a record of sins, Lord, who could stand? Psalm 130:3
And that is why...

2 Corinthians 5

21 He made Him who knew no sin to be sin for us, that we might become the righteousness of God in Him.

Old 03-28-2018, 02:26 PM

20,442 posts, read 12,796,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
I simply know that holiness is a manifestation of what God is: love, and therefore is not in contradiction with love.

But, I see you ignore the clear contradiction of your belief that God will hold the sin of the majority of the world against them forever with the biblical statement that God does not hold the sin of the world against them and love keeps no record of wrongs. Do you think you can explain that away?
Then we agree that God is holy (bolded above). Universalism is a different subject altogether.

Old 03-28-2018, 02:30 PM

13,601 posts, read 4,936,071 times
The point of this Fox News editorial seems to be that the movie did better at the box office than expected, and that is because there are a lot of Christians in this country and therefore the anti-Christians better shut up.

I don't believe in bashing Christianity, but the fact that a majority of Americans are Christians is not a very good argument for silencing the critics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity