Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2018, 08:57 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,394,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
For the umpteenth time, love IS the nature of God, and so all other attributes of God flow from that foundation. Otherwise, you are saying that the love of God is at war with the rest of what God is; a house divided cannot stand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Except that it is NOT. God is also holy, just, righteous and wrathful. They're attributes.
All of God's attributes flow from what God IS: love (a noun, not a descriptive adjective). If your understanding of some of the adjectives that people in the bible used to describe God/love are at war with what God IS then, if you're a thinking person, you'll want to double check your understanding or theirs.

Or simply acknowledge that you don't really believe your bible when it says that God is love.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2018, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
No, they're honest. You can believe them. It's easy to tell when somebody is lying. They preface a lot of their statements by saying: "Honestly," or "In all honesty" or "To tell you the truth."

There was a fake preacher here for several years who did it all the time. It was amusing.

Funny, I was JUST thinking about him a second ago.

Old 03-28-2018, 09:06 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,024,835 times
Quote:
All of God's attributes flow from what God IS: love (a noun, not a descriptive adjective). If your understanding of some of the adjectives that people in the bible used to describe God/love are at war with what God IS then, if you're a thinking person, you'll want to double check your understanding or theirs.

Or simply acknowledge that you don't really believe your bible when it says that God is love.
You are making theological statements about God. You reference the Bible, but you ignore the fact that the Bible gives some very clear teachings on the attributes of God that contradict what you're stating.

Old 03-28-2018, 09:07 AM

1,196 posts, read 754,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Acting like Christ got him mocked, falsely accused and executed. The truth about the cross is offensive to some, and Jesus said it would be so.
true, many don't want to here about Jesus. but what's even sadder, MANY "Christians" refuse to acknowledge the fact that Jesus HAS a Father. even when Jesus words clearly shows he does ,(John 16:28 I came forth from the Father, and am come into the world: again, I leave the world, and go to the Father). God gave us a name to use for a reason (English-JEHOVAH Exo. 6:3). yet MANY refuse to get to know this God. a Christian MUST get to know Jehovah as well as Jesus. who Jesus acknowledges as... the "ONLY TRUE GOD", (John 17:3 And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent). peace

Old 03-28-2018, 09:08 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times
Quote:
Right. Everyone but you is lying. Just ask you!
Don't be absurd. Of course not everybody lies.

But a decade of moderating a very busy forum honed my ability to spot frauds.

And I'm very, very good at it.

Old 03-28-2018, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Don't be absurd. Of course not everybody lies.

But a decade of moderating a very busy forum honed my ability to spot frauds.

And I'm very, very good at it.
Ah...the irony!

Old 03-28-2018, 09:15 AM

Quote:
You are making theological statements about God. You reference the Bible, but you ignore the fact that the Bible gives some very clear teachings on the attributes of God that contradict what you're stating.
Like I said, if you think some things in the bible contradict the clear statement that God IS love, that's your clue to double check your understanding or theirs.

Old 03-28-2018, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Like I said, if you think some things in the bible contradict the clear statement that God IS love, that's your clue to double check your understanding or theirs.
I would suggest you ought to believe all the Bible, not just the parts you find happy and cheerful.

Just answer this for me: What makes you believe that the one verse you actually believe is the one correct one? Why is IT the authoritative verse on God and all the rest is wrong?

Old 03-28-2018, 09:28 AM

20,442 posts, read 12,793,000 times
Quote:

Do you believe this?

Isaiah 6:3

3 And one called to another and said:
“Holy, holy, holy is the Lord of hosts;
the whole earth is full of his glory!”

Old 03-28-2018, 09:30 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Ah...the irony!
He has a solid method. If you say 'honestly', and are not in his 'tribe', then you are lying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity