Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2018, 09:36 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,397,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Do you believe this?

Isaiah 6:3

3 And one called to another and said:
“Holy, holy, holy is the Lord of hosts;
the whole earth is full of his glory!”
If you think this bible passage contradicts the biblical statement that God IS love, that's a conundrum for you to figure out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2018, 09:37 AM

18,499 posts, read 9,164,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
You are making theological statements about God. You reference the Bible, but you ignore the fact that the Bible gives some very clear teachings on the attributes of God that contradict what you're stating.
Do you accept the book of James, which directly contradicts the Evangelical Christian doctrine of Salvation by Faith Alone?

Liberal Christians aren’t the only ones that cherry-pick from the Bible.

Old 03-28-2018, 09:44 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,024,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Do you accept the book of James, which directly contradicts the Evangelical Christian doctrine of Salvation by Faith Alone?

Liberal Christians aren’t the only ones that cherry-pick from the Bible.
Of course I accept James. And no--it does not contradict it. It lines up perfectly with the idea of salvation by faith alone. The question is "What is faith?" Read James 2 with that basic question, and see what he has to say about it.

Old 03-28-2018, 09:49 AM

20,442 posts, read 12,796,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
If you think this bible passage contradicts the biblical statement that God IS love, that's a conundrum for you to figure out.
It seems to me you are the one in a conundrum. The fact that God is holy presents a problem for your theology.

Old 03-28-2018, 09:54 AM

Quote:
It seems to me you are the one in a conundrum. The fact that God is holy presents a problem for your theology.
Not at all, but you've had this discussion with nate and camps, I believe, on a number of occasions. Your understanding of the what holy means is tripping you up, because you think it is in contradiction with love (which keeps no record of wrongs, and is not holding sin against the world).

Old 03-28-2018, 10:05 AM

20,442 posts, read 12,796,101 times
Quote:
Not at all, but you've had this discussion with nate and camps, I believe, on a number of occasions. Your understanding of the what holy means is tripping you up, because you think it is in contradiction with love (which keeps no record of wrongs, and is not holding sin against the world).
I most certainly do not! You think it conflicts with God is love. This is your issue, not mine.

The wisdom of God devised a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God while not compromising the righteousness of God. -John Piper, author of “Desiring God”

Old 03-28-2018, 10:33 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,651,295 times
Quote:
The point is the opposite: it does not contradict it. God is both.

And he is also Just.

2 Thessalonians 1:7 God is just: He will pay back trouble to those who trouble you, and give relief to you who are troubled, and to us as well.

Old 03-28-2018, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
The point is the opposite: it does not contradict it. God is both.

And he is also Just.

2 Thessalonians 1:7 God is just: He will pay back trouble to those who trouble you, and give relief to you who are troubled, and to us as well.

Hmmm, you think justice is tit for tat then. As opposed to love, which does good to those who do you evil.

Sounds like a contradiction.

Old 03-28-2018, 10:44 AM

Quote:
I most certainly do not! You think it conflicts with God is love. This is your issue, not mine.

The wisdom of God devised a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God while not compromising the righteousness of God. -John Piper, author of “Desiring God”
And yet you believe God will hold the sins of the majority of people against them for eternity.

Sounds like a contradiction with the biblical passage which says that God is not holding the sins of the world against them.

Old 03-28-2018, 10:53 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,304,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Except that it is NOT. God is also holy, just, righteous and wrathful. They're attributes.
Can you explain what God being and holy and righteous is, and an example of Jesus showing the wrath of God. You know that Jesus expressed everything that God is?. You ignored this last time i asked you

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Explain holiness and righteousness and which one of the 2 did Jesus teach to abide in?. That's right neither, only in the love of Gpd can you BE holy as he is holy and BE righteous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity