Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2018, 06:40 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,567,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I am sure the idea of pushing someone off a bridge warms the cockles of your heart.
I actually think pel would jump first to give the person a softer landing. Kinda makes me sick too, I'll never be that good. I am more of a "least we don't have to pay for them now" jerk. its a work in progress.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2018, 07:06 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,347,403 times
Quote:
Why are you pretending you can't comprehend what caused him to react? It makes you look silly.

Do you think would have reacted that way if someone offered him a cigarette? Of course not.

He was offended by what the preacher says: "Jesus loves you".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
He may have been offended by the Preachers hypocrisy which had nothing to do with Jesus.
Quote:
If saying "Jesus loves you" is hypocritical to you, then so be it.
Quote:
Probably, his demeanor!
Quote:
Not according to Nicky.

Wilkerson had a LOT of courage preaching the Gospel in NYC gangland. He was told he was crazy going there, but he went anyway, and helped many troubled gang members find Christ.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROiFr8knqBY

Cruz says he was not scared of knives, guns or anything, but when he was faced with power of God, we was afraid of being exposed, and he lashed out. It is EXACTLY what Jesus was talking about when he said people initially hate the light out of fear of being exposed.
Obviously, there is more to the story. However, I do not believe that being told that someone loves you is offensive, but it does hurt when you have never felt that love. Knowing that someone actually loves you takes more than just being told, "Jesus love you." And the idea that you are loved, after being convinced of the opposite most of your life can cut deeply.

Old 03-27-2018, 07:32 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,277,299 times
Quote:
Not according to Nicky.

Wilkerson had a LOT of courage preaching the Gospel in NYC gangland. He was told he was crazy going there, but he went anyway, and helped many troubled gang members find Christ.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROiFr8knqBY

Cruz says he was not scared of knives, guns or anything, but when he was faced with power of God, we was afraid of being exposed, and he lashed out. It is EXACTLY what Jesus was talking about when he said people initially hate the light out of fear of being exposed.
I do not see him saying he was offended by being loved by Jesus Christ. He met a man who knew he was loved of God and that was the power that rocked him, no man would have gone into that situation without knowing the power of the love of God. I think you are listening to him with biased ears.

If our hearts condemn us, we know that God is greater than our hearts, and he knows everything

The only ones offended in the gospels were not the likes of Nicky Cruz, but those who believed they had the truth when they hadn't, you've guessed it..... the scribes and pharisees(They were offended because Jesus Christ loved those they thought were sinners). If you disagree with this statement prove it otherwise with the scriptures. When Jesus said eat my flesh and many departed, that had nothing to do with those who walked away loving darkness, they walked away because someone they had followed everywhere up to that moment was now asking of them to eat his flesh and drink his blood. Can you blame them?, well can ya?.

If our hearts condemn us, we know that God is greater than our hearts, and he knows everything

In fact i can say without a shadow of doubt that i have never heard anyone who has believed, testify they were offended upon initially hearing Jesus loves you. If there was any truth in it, we would find it in the scriptures.

What Wilko said to him too is exactly what i have said all along about the cross, it his foremost a demonstration of how much we are ALL unconditionally loved of God, Wilko said cut me into 1000 pieces and every piece will say i love you, then how much more is the cross saying to those under the condemnation they feel because they have wrongly believed that God is angry and mad at them, that you are loved in spite of what your condemning heart is saying to you.

I believe you like the pharisees hate the thought that this is true message of Jesus Christ. Love demands nothing. I will say this too, Nicky Cruz believing had a huge impact on myself eventually believing on Jesus Christ

Last edited by pcamps; 03-27-2018 at 08:17 PM..

Old 03-27-2018, 08:01 PM

88,515 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Obviously, there is more to the story. However, I do not believe that being told that someone loves you is offensive, but it does hurt when you have never felt that love. Knowing that someone actually loves you takes more than just being told, "Jesus love you." And the idea that you are loved, after being convinced of the opposite most of your life can cut deeply.
There is more to the story. I read Run, Baby, Run maybe 45 years ago, so I don't remember every detail, but Nicky Cruz being offended by hearing "Jesus loves you" doesn't ring a bell and is certainly not the main theme of the story.

What sticks is the description of the brutality of gang life and the complete turnaround in the man's life. Whatever happened inside of him, he changed.

Old 03-27-2018, 08:07 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
What a wonderful thread for seeing the great divide between Jesus followers and Jehovah fanboys.

Old 03-28-2018, 05:52 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,604,577 times
Quote:
Why don't yo pick up the phone and call him a liar. Of course that would make Jesus a liar too for saying "Light has come into the world, but people loved darkness instead of light because their deeds were evil".

The light touched Nicky, and he hated it.

But God drew him towards Him and enables him to overcome, which he did some days later.

Why are there so many posters so amazed by this story that they say it can't be true.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 03-28-2018 at 06:04 AM..

Old 03-28-2018, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
There is more to the story. I read Run, Baby, Run maybe 45 years ago, so I don't remember every detail, but Nicky Cruz being offended by hearing "Jesus loves you" doesn't ring a bell and is certainly not the main theme of the story.

What sticks is the description of the brutality of gang life and the complete turnaround in the man's life. Whatever happened inside of him, he changed.
It is the main theme, because those words struck him like a lightning bolt, and begun to change him. Soon after that Nicky and many other gang members gave their lives to the Lord, and Nicky dedicated his life to work in the gangland. The gangs listened to him, because he had been there himself.

He heard the words "Jesus loves you" and he felt like someone was looking into his soul and saw everything. It was exactly what Jesus said. He was offended and spit in the preachers face, slapped him and threatened to kill him.

Old 03-28-2018, 06:10 AM

1,146 posts, read 648,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
If we Christians acted more like Christ, and were less hateful and judgmental, and loved like we were supposed to love - there probably wouldn't be anti-Christian bigots.
You forget the lessons taught by the Bible. Anti-god attitudes existed long before there was a church - long before Christ was born into the world.

Jesus was publicly executed by bigots who denied the Kingdom of God.

This is the verdict: Light has come into the world, but people loved darkness instead of light because their deeds were evil. - Jesus as quoted by John 3:19

Sin lies at the heart of all bigotry.

There are two kinds of sinners;
those who ask for forgiveness when confronted with their own sin,
and those who shake their fist in the face of God for revealing it to them.

The first sinner will be forgiven.

The second sinner has condemned himself already.

and that's me, hollering from the choir loft...

Old 03-28-2018, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choir Loft View Post
You forget the lessons taught by the Bible. Anti-god attitudes existed long before there was a church - long before Christ was born into the world.

Jesus was publicly executed by bigots who denied the Kingdom of God.

This is the verdict: Light has come into the world, but people loved darkness instead of light because their deeds were evil. - Jesus as quoted by John 3:19

Sin lies at the heart of all bigotry.
Indeed.

I'm sure the Romans also blamed the Christians for being judgmental when they fed them to the lions.

Old 03-28-2018, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber
I am sure the idea of pushing someone off a bridge warms the cockles of your heart.
Quote:
What an obnoxious thing to say...
Quote:
We have seen on this very forum certain posters who seem to practically salivate in delight at the thought of other people roasting in hell.
Quote:
It's creepy the way those who believe that they are a small minority who will be saved seemed to salivate at the thought of those who they think won't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Data1000 View Post
They salivate at the thought of looking over a rail in heaven down upon people agonizing in hell and being able to say "See? I told you so!".

Anyone up for a shot of hypocrisy and fake outrage to get the day started? Let us celebrate, the day of tribalism has arrived.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 03-28-2018 at 07:00 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity