Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2018, 04:43 PM

16,708 posts, read 15,709,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
There was an 11 minute and 34 second video that emphasized Chastity as a means of controlling SSA.

It's about child-abuse. And, it doesn't matter whether you are heterosexual or homosexual.
And to keep it in perspective, not all heterosexual or homosexual people abuse others.
I'm glad I didn't waste 11:34 watching it. Teaching abstinence instead of providing useful information has never worked. People have tried to do that in schools so they didn't have to honestly teach kids how to avoid STDs. That hasn't worked either.

Old 09-04-2018, 06:26 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,533,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
I'm glad I didn't waste 11:34 watching it. Teaching abstinence instead of providing useful information has never worked. People have tried to do that in schools so they didn't have to honestly teach kids how to avoid STDs. That hasn't worked either.
The bible teaches, not married then stay chaste. Not my rules.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2018, 06:28 PM

Quote:
There was an 11 minute and 34 second video that emphasized Chastity as a means of controlling SSA.

It's about child-abuse. And, it doesn't matter whether you are heterosexual or homosexual.
And to keep it in perspective, not all heterosexual or homosexual people abuse others.
It's also about gay priests abusing straight priests. Turn your head all you want but this is what the Church is fighting now. Listen to the videos or keep your head in the sand, it's up to you.

Old 09-04-2018, 06:54 PM

34,082 posts, read 17,140,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
It's also about gay priests abusing straight priests. Turn your head all you want but this is what the Church is fighting now. Listen to the videos or keep your head in the sand, it's up to you.
and , more than that, both types raping children.

Lets stop using the less truthful terms, and start calling these crimes what they are. Raping children.

Lets stop allowing priests to be dealt with unlike other citizens w/o the criminal justice system and w/o the perp walk any other child rapist is submitted to.

As citizens, they have responsibilities and obeying all laws is one of them.

Old 09-04-2018, 07:07 PM

https://www.catholicnewsagency.com/n...-program-69513

Chicago priest arrested in Miami has ties to shuttered program

Old 09-04-2018, 08:15 PM

6,802 posts, read 2,922,778 times
I was chided before for having called this a witch-hunt but this is certainly what this has become. This is rather reminiscent of the McMartin preschool trial in the 1980's where what started out as one boy having been allegedly sexually abused resulted in mass hysteria where every preschool in the Los Angeles district was under suspicion. Accusations were made in 1983. Arrests and the pretrial investigation ran from 1984 to 1987, and the trial ran from 1987 to 1990. After almost seven years of criminal trials, no convictions were obtained, and all charges were dropped in 1990. When the trial ended in 1990, it had been the longest and most expensive criminal trial in American history.

Children, under pressure to 'please' their interrogators and helped along by 'therapists', made up all kinds of stories THAT WERE BELIEVED by those we may think would know better. Psychologists, the popular media, well-known TV anchor men, and people in general were duped by the stories told by these kids - in many case CLEARLY fabricated - and many lives were destroyed because of it. Witch hunts are scary because they take on a life of their own. People are labeled. The public believes the labels. They create mass hysteria and bring down many innocent people in their wake by a stupid media-influenced society. And, all it takes sometimes is just one person to start the destructive ball rolling.

No one is saying that abuse has not been going in within institutions ...I KNOW it has since I was in one such institution myself. I'm not a Catholic but what has occurred here is that the ENTIRE Catholic Church has become charged with sexual, physical and psychological abuse and its harboring of the abusers. And, we all know how mud sticks once it's been thrown. The majority of human-kind are easily manipulated to believe whatever it is they're fed.

Good one, Bob and Janelle. Keep up your witch-hunt that has now included gay people who, we are finding, thanks to you, are the cause of pretty much all the ills of the world.

Old 09-04-2018, 08:35 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,219,714 times
Quote:

Nope. Not yours. They're the rules of anonymous, primitive men who pooped in holes in the sand. Which you have adopted thousands of years later.

Old 09-04-2018, 09:10 PM

6,802 posts, read 2,922,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy
Quote:
Janelle, do you abide by everything the Bible teaches? Or, just like the rest of Christianity, do you simply claim obedience to the Bible just to come across to others as being a 'true Christian'? I would take an educated guess that the latter is true. I would also guess that no one here knows you - or me for that matter - and so we can flaunt our piety via our anonymity until the cows come home.

There is NO LOGICAL REASON why a gay person should HAVE to stay chaste simply because a book appears to tell them this. And, as far as my biblical knowledge takes me, the Bible states no such thing anyway. This is yet another made up piece of 'scripture' to aim at someone another someone doesn't care for.

I'm always bemused by the number of professed Christians who are married (and presumably have a sex life) who tell others that THEY have to remain chaste ...something that they themselves would not dream of doing based on a belief. Anyway, when are people going to catch on that the Bible is a book and that a book has no divine authority ...?

Old 09-04-2018, 09:19 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,392,832 times
Quote:

Quote:
I highly doubt that an adult (male) is going to abuse another adult (male) without suffering the consequences, if it were not consensual. I can tell you what I would do, so don't be an ostrich and pull your head out of the sand.

Old 09-04-2018, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
I was chided before for having called this a witch-hunt but this is certainly what this has become. This is rather reminiscent of the McMartin preschool trial in the 1980's where what started out as one boy having been allegedly sexually abused resulted in mass hysteria where every preschool in the Los Angeles district was under suspicion. Accusations were made in 1983. Arrests and the pretrial investigation ran from 1984 to 1987, and the trial ran from 1987 to 1990. After almost seven years of criminal trials, no convictions were obtained, and all charges were dropped in 1990. When the trial ended in 1990, it had been the longest and most expensive criminal trial in American history.

Children, under pressure to 'please' their interrogators and helped along by 'therapists', made up all kinds of stories THAT WERE BELIEVED by those we may think would know better. Psychologists, the popular media, well-known TV anchor men, and people in general were duped by the stories told by these kids - in many case CLEARLY fabricated - and many lives were destroyed because of it. Witch hunts are scary because they take on a life of their own. People are labeled. The public believes the labels. They create mass hysteria and bring down many innocent people in their wake by a stupid media-influenced society. And, all it takes sometimes is just one person to start the destructive ball rolling.

No one is saying that abuse has not been going in within institutions ...I KNOW it has since I was in one such institution myself. I'm not a Catholic but what has occurred here is that the ENTIRE Catholic Church has become charged with sexual, physical and psychological abuse and its harboring of the abusers. And, we all know how mud sticks once it's been thrown. The majority of human-kind are easily manipulated to believe whatever it is they're fed.

Good one, Bob and Janelle. Keep up your witch-hunt that has now included gay people who, we are finding, thanks to you, are the cause of pretty much all the ills of the world.
That is why I posted the link to Courage. I remember the daycare witch hunt and we have to be careful not to let it turn into that, the #MeToo movement now as well could become a witch hunt. We have to be careful. I don't think the Church is going to go by he said, he said, in this case but no doubt some has been of that nature in the past with people accusing innocent priests to get the money. It all has to be investigated. I hope the Pope is open to investigating the bishops and higher ups and not just the people who are coming forward now to report how they were abused.

The parishes keep logs on complaints of priests and who was moved along to protect them. Do you want the guilty to be let off scott free? It has been swept under the rug in the past and the laity are now beyond tired of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity