Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2019, 09:20 AM

8,669 posts, read 4,808,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
The same happened in the Episcopal Church, Warden, or rather in The Anglican Communion, the global organization of which the US Episcopal Church is a part. The Anglicans in Africa and other areas do not like our acceptance of gays, including marrying and ordaining them, and so we are under some sort of sanction by the wider church. Whatevs.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/15/w...marriages.html
three yrs seems fairly generous.
Better to enter the kingdom injured than not at all.

Old 03-02-2019, 01:47 AM

3,536 posts, read 1,709,991 times
Quote:
To me, the real church is found in the woods, or the ocean, or a lake or river, but people go to church for community or to satisfy a need for ritual.
I feel closer to God while out in nature than I ever have sitting in a church pew.

Old 03-02-2019, 07:24 AM

20,442 posts, read 12,793,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMusic View Post
I don't understand how anyone can go to any church, quite honestly. I simply cannot play church with pews and pulpits, etc... Also, with the Baptists being exposed for wide spread pedophilia along with the Catholics, I don't think church is a safe place for children.
I don’t understand why any Christian would not want to fellowship, worship and serve with other Christians. I love and appreciate my fellow church members. They have enriched my life. I know they would be at my side immediately if I was sick or in trouble. I have learned much from them. When we combine our talents and resources, we can do much to share the love of Christ.

As far as children are concerned, we need to do more to ensure their safety and well-being, at church, school, little league, scouts, etc.

Old 03-02-2019, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
I don’t understand why any Christian would not want to fellowship, worship and serve with other Christians. I love and appreciate my fellow church members. They have enriched my life. I know they would be at my side immediately if I was sick or in trouble. I have learned much from them. When we combine our talents and resources, we can do much to share the love of Christ.

As far as children are concerned, we need to do more to ensure their safety and well-being, at church, school, little league, scouts, etc.
The truth is, I can't worship with a group who teaches eternal torment for some or most and the vast majority of churches teach and believe it. I do not want to join myself with people who, as an organization preach division and are actually deeply politically right wing and turn a blind eye to corruption at the highest levels. Also, many denominations internalize the notion that because of grace, the believer will never be judged in the same way as the unbeliever and can sin with impunity. I realize you will deny this, but any objective person knows it is true.

I'm happy that you find comfort and friendship in your church.

Old 03-02-2019, 01:37 PM

Quote:
The truth is, I can't worship with a group who teaches eternal torment for some or most and the vast majority of churches teach and believe it. I do not want to join myself with people who, as an organization preach division and are actually deeply politically right wing and turn a blind eye to corruption at the highest levels. Also, many denominations internalize the notion that because of grace, the believer will never be judged in the same way as the unbeliever and can sin with impunity. I realize you will deny this, but any objective person knows it is true.

There are churches that would fit your liberal viewpoint.

Old 03-02-2019, 01:40 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,365,848 times
Quote:
I don't understand how anyone can go to any church, quite honestly. I simply cannot play church with pews and pulpits, etc... Also, with the Baptists being exposed for wide spread pedophilia along with the Catholics, I don't think church is a safe place for children.
Quote:
To me, the real church is found in the woods, or the ocean, or a lake or river, but people go to church for community or to satisfy a need for ritual.
Quote:
I feel closer to God while out in nature than I ever have sitting in a church pew.
Quote:

I agree that more needs to be done to protect children; and single mothers without passing out judgment. Please, let us know, if you ever become sick or in trouble, as I am curious as to how much they will or won't do to help you?

Quote:

I don't know how anyone who calls themselves "Christian" could accept the false doctrine of eternal damnation.

Old 03-02-2019, 01:43 PM

Quote:
There are churches that would fit your liberal viewpoint.
You have attended these churches? Regardless, I am not seeking a church because I am part of THE church. It is not about a man-made organization or sitting inside a building on Sundays and Wednesdays. It's about my heart and my walk with God and the way I interact with all people, not just people who agree with me. I was not called to God to condemn the world's people. I see judgement coming down everyday and I do not have to lift a finger or point a finger - it simply comes.

Old 03-02-2019, 01:47 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,365,848 times
Quote:
You have attended these churches? Regardless, I am not seeking a church because I am part of THE church. It is not about a man-made organization or sitting inside a building on Sundays and Wednesdays. It's about my heart and my walk with God and the way I interact with all people, not just people who agree with me. I was not called to God to condemn the world's people. I see judgement coming down everyday and I do not have to lift a finger or point a finger - it simply comes.
Yep.

Old 03-02-2019, 01:55 PM

Quote:
All Christians are part of THE church.

I think God created us for community and I can’t understand “Lone Ranger” Christians. Jesus sent out the 72 in pairs. If people didn’t band together, we wouldn’t have schools, hospitals, food banks, etc.

Old 03-02-2019, 02:12 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Conservative Christians Just Retook the United Methodist Church
It is never a bad idea to to turn back to God after dabbling with things which do not honor God. God will accept them back like the prodigal son.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity