Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe Jesus is THE way or A way?
I fully believe salvation is found in no other name but Jesus 84 84.00%
I believe Jesus is one way of many. 7 7.00%
I believe Jesus is probably the 'best' way, but certainly not the 'only way. 5 5.00%
I have no idea, but I still consider myself a Christian 4 4.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 03:19 PM

33,224 posts, read 26,422,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 Why do you keep insisting that philosophy and religion are mutually exclusive?
Philosophy and religion are both a part of Satans cosmic system (cosmos diabolicus). The system by which Satan tries to control the world that he is the ruler of until the time that Christ returns.

Christianity is not a religion. Christianity is a relationship with God through the work of Christ on the Cross. Christianity is God inviting man to have an eternal relationship with Him through Christ.

Quote:
Jesus' only way is through realising that only love can conquer hate & evil.
I'm sure there are philosophies before those of Jesus who have said the exact same thing.

Jesus taught and communicated Doctrine, the absolute truth of God. He did not teach philosophy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2013, 04:18 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,884,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
Amen, Curly!!! I could not have said it better.

But apparently, everyone already KNOWS what I believe so I guess I don't need to elaborate. (in reference to Dm's I've received)

But guess what!!! It still won't shut me up!!!

I LOVE JESUS!!! I LOVE JESUS!!! HE'S THE ONLY WAY!!!!!

CAUSE HE SAID SO.
That's right!

Old 02-23-2013, 05:06 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,488,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
Amen, Curly!!! I could not have said it better.

But apparently, everyone already KNOWS what I believe so I guess I don't need to elaborate. (in reference to Dm's I've received)

But guess what!!! It still won't shut me up!!!

I LOVE JESUS!!! I LOVE JESUS!!! HE'S THE ONLY WAY!!!!!

CAUSE HE SAID SO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
That's right!

John 20:31 But these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name.

Romans 15:4 For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope.

1 Corinthians 15:2-4
By this gospel you are saved, if you hold firmly to the word I preached to you. Otherwise, you have believed in vain. For what I received I passed on to you as of first importance: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures,

Old 02-23-2013, 08:53 PM

63,785 posts, read 40,053,123 times
Default Do you believe salvation is found in Christ and Christ alone?

Of course . . . but apparently a large number of Christians do NOT because they think THEY have something to do with it. They do NOT. Christ alone saved us ALL, period. But we ARE responsible for our sanctification under His love by becoming His disciples . . . through following His commands to "love God and each other" daily and repent when we don't.

Old 02-24-2013, 03:51 PM

20,439 posts, read 12,779,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Of course . . . but apparently a large number of Christians do NOT because they think THEY have something to do with it. They do NOT. Christ alone saved us ALL, period. But we ARE responsible for our sanctification under His love by becoming His disciples . . . through following His commands to "love God and each other" daily and repent when we don't.
You are incorrect.

John 3

36 "Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life, but whoever rejects the Son will not see life, for God’s wrath remains on him.â€

To gain salvation, one must believe, by faith, in Christ's redemptive work on the cross.

Old 02-24-2013, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
You are incorrect.

John 3

36 "Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life, but whoever rejects the Son will not see life, for God’s wrath remains on him.”

To gain salvation, one must believe, by faith, in Christ's redemptive work on the cross.
Incorrect. We are to believe ON Christ AND follow His commands.

John 3:36 King James Version (KJV)

36 He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him

The two bold phrases are misunderstood . . . which leads to your "easy believer" Faith . . . which is far easier even than the "lazy man theology" of Twin, btw.

Moderator cut: deleted

Last edited by june 7th; 02-25-2013 at 04:07 AM.. Reason: Is not addressing the OP.

Old 02-24-2013, 07:24 PM

Quote:
36 He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him

The two bold phrases are misunderstood . . . which leads to your "easy believer" Faith . . . which is far easier even than the "lazy man theology" of Twin, btw..
Really .... you believe "we ARE responsible for our sanctification" ?
And....... you believe it is contingent on "follow His commands." (presumably only to love God and your neighbor... that's all)

Well, why not read what that entails.
How about un-summerizing what Jesus said about "love God and your neighbor".
Since you are requiring yourself to be responsible for your sanctification, you'd better be perfect while doing it. Otherwise if not, the wrath of God abideth.

Btw Mystic, "lazy man theology" has nothing to do with your false conception of the scriptural teaching "easy believer" Faith of John 3:36.

Old 02-24-2013, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Don't put words in my mouth. I never said that. I'm talking about salvation, not sanctification.
I know you are and yet WE have nothing to do with that. Christ already DID that. It is finished. We are responsible for our sanctification because we are already "saved as by fire."
Our concern should be with reaping what we sow.

Old 02-24-2013, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Really .... you believe "we ARE responsible for our sanctification" ?
And....... you believe it is contingent on "follow His commands." (presumably only to love God and your neighbor... that's all)

Well, why not read what that entails.
How about un-summerizing what Jesus said about "love God and your neighbor".
Since you are requiring yourself to be responsible for your sanctification, you'd better be perfect while doing it. Otherwise if not, the wrath of God abideth.
You are the one who is confused, Twin . . . because Christ was perfect so we would not need to be. His perfection covers our imperfections. We just need to be sanctified under His perfection through "love of God and each other." Technically, that means we need to acquire some harmonic resonance with Christ's love for us all . . . that means be in harmony with His love . . . (for those in Rio Linda).
Quote:
Btw Mystic, "lazy man theology" has nothing to do with your false conception of the scriptural teaching "easy believer" Faith of John 3:36.
Nothing seems easier than simply saying "I believe X, Y, Z, etc." ABOUT Christ, Twin. I will put my Faith in Christ and His commands to be His disciple, thank you.

John 13:34-35 King James Version (KJV)

34 A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.

35 “By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another.”

1 John 2 King James Version (KJV)

2 My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:

2 And He is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.

3 And hereby we do know that we know Him, if we keep His commandments.

4 He that saith, I know Him, and keepeth not His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

5 But whoso keepeth His word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in Him.

6 He that saith he abideth in Him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.

Last edited by MysticPhD; 02-24-2013 at 08:00 PM..

Old 02-24-2013, 09:31 PM

Quote:
You are the one who is confused, Twin . . . because Christ was perfect so we would not need to be. His perfection covers our imperfections. We just need to be sanctified under His perfection through "love of God and each other." Technically, that means we need to acquire some harmonic resonance with Christ's love for us all . . . that means be in harmony with His love . . . (for those in Rio Linda).
Nothing seems easier than simply saying "I believe X, Y, Z, etc." ABOUT Christ, Twin. I will put my Faith in Christ and His commands to be His disciple, thank you..
No Mystic, I can assure you that I'm not confused. You seemingly want it both ways; for instance:

[1] "I don't reject scriptures" .. then say... "It boggles the mind how anyone can adhere to the simplistic inerrancy doctrine and simple reading of the English text as though it were really God's words "

or

[2] "we ARE responsible for our sanctification" .. then say ... Of course but apparently a large number of Christians do NOT because they think THEY have something to do with it. They do NOT.
One CAN NOT responsible for our sanctification if a Christian believes in salvation is found in Christ and Christ alone.
Sanctification is the process of being made holy \ perfect in Christ and Christ alone.
By placing your faith in being responsible for your sanctification is to place your faith in yourself.

Such a faith makes one not a disciple of Christ. And Jesus says so to the man who claimed to have kept the commandments. When you stand before Jesus, he will find that you still lack something and you will have to depart from him. Matthew 25:30-46

One will not stand in front of Jesus justified and sanctified by believing being " responsible for our sanctification" and that "It boggles the mind how anyone can adhere to the simplistic inerrancy doctrine and simple reading of the English text as though it were really God's words "
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity