Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 01:27 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,179,752 times

Advertisements

Gotta spread rep before firstborn888 can be receivin' again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2008, 01:27 PM

5,137 posts, read 16,588,833 times
You keep on talking about 'hypocrisy' but yet to point what I have done/said to make it hypocrisy.

Post and quoting should be used in your example. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat2 View Post
Renriq,

Just an observation, I believe that our actions in themselves is not loving it needs to come from the heart - hypocrisy is where you say and/or do something but there is the opposite in your heart it makes your actions an act.

God will be judging by everyones deeds and he will be judging by the intentions of the heart. Everyone will be judged through Christ (this is why As in adam all die so in Christ all will be made alive (nothing will be outside of Christ -but first everything needs to be a) fully obedient - and that is not just saying Lord, lord it is believing from the heart and b) purified, no sin will enter and none will be just covered over - the judgement is for and against for everyone.

Also Jesus says for all who labor and are heavy laden to come to him and he will give rest.

Old 10-13-2008, 01:56 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,579,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renriq02 View Post
There's no point than to argue with someone that doesnt view the word of God as literal.

People love to pick and choose of how they think God is (according to the bible), and almost all the times I have seen this is because of their lifestyle.

This is a touchy subject, and most people dont like to think their deceased 'love ones' are in hell. Then they makeup stuff and believe blindly in what they want to believe.

The bible is was and is still taught today as literal and not 'figuratively' speaking. To believe it 'figuratively' is 'hoping' to something of your own opinion. To believe it that way and be wrong can cost you your eternal salvation.

If I'm wrong about it's literal sense, then I'm sure I'll be corrected by God when I die.
If I'm right then there will be a lot of so called Christians burning for eternity.
I agree about the picking and choosing. Lifestyle does seem to be a reason that people pick and choose what laws of God's are worth obeying or not. But regardless, hell is not biblical and regardless of what you are being taught in church, you don't HAVE to believe it. Isnt that wonderful? That you can get to know God through prayer and reading his word, learn that he's the epitome of love, learn that he has a purpose for us, and ALSO learn that he would never torment someone for eternity? I don't think it's blindness to refuse to believe Him capable of such a thing. I think it's good sense.

It's obvious not everything in the bible is to be taken literally. I don't know a single person who feels those 'bowls of anger' in the book of Revelation are literal.

Old 10-13-2008, 01:59 PM

You're the first person who reads the bible who says hell isn't real.

Do you believe in demons? angels?

The bible DOES teach it...you just think it's a fairy tale.

Old 10-13-2008, 02:20 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,179,752 times
Quote:
My home is real - do you know anything about it?

God's word is true, there's no skipping through the daisies - a place of burning where there is no escaping is still a place where the refined will be brought forth. It's the dross that will not escape.

Old 10-13-2008, 02:31 PM

4,346 posts, read 6,618,224 times
Quote:
There's no point than to argue with someone that doesnt view the word of God as literal.

People love to pick and choose of how they think God is (according to the bible), and almost all the times I have seen this is because of their lifestyle.
This (figurative) sword cuts both ways. Bible literalists pick and choose where to draw the line all day every day.

Do you believe there is a literal well of water which gives eternal life? Do you believe that a literal steel sword will literally come out of Jesus' mouth? Do you believe that the great harlot mentioned in the revelation will literally fornicate with entire nations

Come on, get real (or should I say - "get unreal"?)

Old 10-13-2008, 02:33 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,579,201 times
Quote:

Do you believe in demons? angels?

The bible DOES teach it...you just think it's a fairy tale.
Not the first person, by a long shot. If you research the hellfire doctrine, you'll see that the early Christians did not believe it either...the history of its introduction into the Church theology is very interesting. There are many people worldwide who do not believe in a place of eternal fiery torment. 7 million Jehovah's Witnesses are in agreement about it in addition to many other bible readers that have chosen to seperate themselves from Fundamental Christendom.

Demons and Angels are very real. The bible makes this quite clear and there is no mincing words about it. But do you deny that the bible is replete w/ visions, illustrations, and symbolism? Revelation is full of them.

The scriptures used to qualify the teaching of hellfire truly baffle me. I would love to know why so many people accept it so readily. In my ministry, this doctrine is one of the first things that people confess to having a problem with in their church sermons. It is against every fiber of human morale to justify such a thing. And we were created in God's image.

Old 10-13-2008, 02:36 PM

11,897 posts, read 3,699,863 times
Renriq,

I am not saying you are advocating hypocrisy, what I am saying is that the phrasing of your sentence could be taken that it is on our actions are what we will be judged on and what I believe is that God will judge the intentions behind our actions as well as the actions themselves.

Old 10-13-2008, 02:39 PM

11,897 posts, read 3,699,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
This (figurative) sword cuts both ways. Bible literalists pick and choose where to draw the line all day every day.

Do you believe there is a literal well of water which gives eternal life? Do you believe that a literal steel sword will literally come out of Jesus' mouth? Do you believe that the great harlot mentioned in the revelation will literally fornicate with entire nations

Come on, get real (or should I say - "get unreal"?)
Exactly, well said.

Old 10-13-2008, 02:42 PM

Now I see why you have a different belief.

I was thinking you were baptist/pentecostal etc, but you're JW.

You need really study what you're talking about.
I was born and raised Jewish before becoming a Christian.
Synagogues believe in Hell...and Jesus wasn't teaching something 'new'.

If you want to believe it...then back it up.

If you tell me that the verses are 'figuratively' speaking, then please 'do share' what they are really talking about.

I have posted over 10 verses, and you have not rebutted one, but just said they're imagery or figuratively speaking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicenavada View Post
Not the first person, by a long shot. If you research the hellfire doctrine, you'll see that the early Christians did not believe it either...the history of its introduction into the Church theology is very interesting. There are many people worldwide who do not believe in a place of eternal fiery torment. 7 million Jehovah's Witnesses are in agreement about it in addition to many other bible readers that have chosen to seperate themselves from Fundamental Christendom.

Demons and Angels are very real. The bible makes this quite clear and there is no mincing words about it. But do you deny that the bible is replete w/ visions, illustrations, and symbolism? Revelation is full of them.

The scriptures used to qualify the teaching of hellfire truly baffle me. I would love to know why so many people accept it so readily. In my ministry, this doctrine is one of the first things that people confess to having a problem with in their church sermons. It is against every fiber of human morale to justify such a thing. And we were created in God's image.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity