Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Pokemon appropriate for kids?
Good 56 80.00%
Bad 14 20.00%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 09:37 PM

396 posts, read 838,183 times

Advertisements

Pokemon is just annoying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 09:50 PM

1,139 posts, read 1,776,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morale Officer View Post
That maybe true, but not evil

Old 01-22-2009, 05:52 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,698,675 times
Hello... Hoosier, I don't know about some of these card collecting, games, and so forth. Been out of that loop for some time, as my baby is 34 yrs old. But if I'm feeling uncomfortable with something, I like to believe God is protecting against something that is not good and beneficial for our lives and will come away from it.

Doing your research is a very good thing... that I believe is how God will give us a good direction in wisdom and insight to something.
If you and your son have been discussing and learning in how we make our choices and decision, maybe have your son sit and do the research with you... this I believe would go along with what you have been teaching him and will help him to understand and why you make certain decision as you do!

I know it is difficult for parents with young children. There are so many fads out there and children do things for that reason because everybody else is doing it and really don't understand what may be behind something.

The Lord God is wonderful and He will bless you and your son I believe with all my heart, with a peace and understanding about this situation. Bringing you both together in an agreement in what decision that should be made.

Blessings

Old 01-22-2009, 06:09 AM

706 posts, read 1,241,857 times
I personally don't see anything wrong with them, but I don't know that much about them either. I thought Pokemon died out about 5 years ago. What is it about Pokemon that disturbs you?

Old 01-22-2009, 06:19 AM

8,346 posts, read 7,045,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethetruth View Post
I personally don't see anything wrong with them, but I don't know that much about them either. I thought Pokemon died out about 5 years ago. What is it about Pokemon that disturbs you?
Pokemon is still going strong. I'm not that much in the loop for the card game anymore, haven't been since I got into Magic the Gathering, and I'm not even into that anymore, but I do know that the videogames are still widely popular.

Old 01-22-2009, 06:23 AM

706 posts, read 1,241,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langlen View Post
Pokemon is still going strong. I'm not that much in the loop for the card game anymore, haven't been since I got into Magic the Gathering, and I'm not even into that anymore, but I do know that the videogames are still widely popular.
Well I just figured it was one of those fads that died out back in the early 2000's.

Do you see anything wrong in it, that would make a born again christian type person find it objectionable?

I just thought it was a silly game myself and never got into it.

I can see where a Christian might be concerned over Dungeons and Dragons, but Pokemon, not really.

Old 01-22-2009, 07:47 AM

8,346 posts, read 7,045,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethetruth View Post
Well I just figured it was one of those fads that died out back in the early 2000's.

Do you see anything wrong in it, that would make a born again christian type person find it objectionable?

I just thought it was a silly game myself and never got into it.

I can see where a Christian might be concerned over Dungeons and Dragons, but Pokemon, not really.
I'm not Christian, merely following the thread after seeing it last night when Kuharai posted on it. (She's my wife.)

It all depends on the person. If the person has strong objections to evolution and other religous beliefs such as shintoism or buddhism, then yes,I can see objections against Pokemon. If not, then no, there is no real objections.

Old 01-22-2009, 08:05 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,231,957 times
This reminds me of when my whacko fundie uncle freaked out when my mom's cat walked into the room with a little troll doll in his mouth that he liked to play with. He kept saying it was satanic!

I'm more worried about the fast pace and flashing of some of these cartoons. There are studies that say this is bad for babies/young children and may lead to A.D.D. by getting their minds used to constant change. The old cartoons (Tom $ Jerry, Hanna Barbara, etc.) were of a slower pace. My children are only 9 mo., but I've been putting the tv on satellite music more and more to avoid having them see the fast-paced commercials.

Old 01-22-2009, 08:06 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,231,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morale Officer View Post
Most certainly! I can't stand it.

Old 01-22-2009, 08:12 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,630,992 times
Incredibly tedious maybe and not particularly educational but hardly evil. I have yet to see a video game of interest to me but I would have thought there are far worse things to worry about than Pokemon.

Just about anything on TV non specifically religious could be considered evil.

Tom and Jerry constantly have fights and Jerry could be considered a terrible bully ( Same with Bugs and Daffy) . Fairy Tales are full of magic and supernatural characters, most Disney films will also have certain aspects which some could find offensive if they really looked for it. Snow White has a bad witch and Puss in Boots is a Magical cat...

I would worry more about how long a child spends in front of a computer screen or a TV. It's bad for their eyes and their brain as well as their social skills. And what they eat ( or refuse to eat), whether they are exposed to bigotry and intolerance ( a form of child abuse IMO), whether they are socially adept , whether they are bullied etc....

I would personally not encourage my kids if I had any to play video games or watch too much TV but that stems more from preferring them to be active rather than passive and I would prefer a child who read than one who was glued to the TV. Video Games encourage better spatial awareness and manual dexterity but can also numb the mind.

It is a question of balance. It is the same with junk food. A little is just "junk food", a lot becomes a bad way of life and unhealthy.

However that said Pokemon seems fairly harmless in the great scheme of things and "evil" seems a rather extreme word for a term we also use for Hitler, Stalin, War, Rape, the Holocaust, Genocide, Paedophilia etc...

We have to allow children a modicum of independence and to make their own minds up within a safe context of course.

Variety is of the essence and if Pokemon is that much of a concern I am sure there are other video games which might be deemed more suitable.

In my experience ban something from a child/teenager/adult and they want it all the more. It becomes taboo and as such exciting.

Kids have got this unerring ability to fly under theirs parent's radar so I think it is better to have it in the open than as a forbidden thing which will only make the taste sweeter. Ban something and you might just find that you end up with something a lot "stronger" and more objectionable absorbed from other kids whose parents might have a different set of values.

They also get bored easily and move on to other things.

I would personally rather have my eyeballs tattooed than play "Pokemon" but I do not think it is the greatest threat facing Children nowadays.

What they will absorb on TV and from magazines will be far more harmful.

The ideas we project on them about the only worth of a human being being beautiful ,rich and famous is to me the real threat. Creating adults who have no moral compass and are only guided by greed, vapidity and a lack of motivation. Pokemon might not be the Bible ( which has it fair share of horrors, and dubious stories for children too) but it is hardly "Mein Kampf" either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity