Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2009, 09:47 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,198,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deguire View Post
As a fellow Caribbean national, this is just a sad commentary you have here. Realy, really, really, really take a good look at what you wrote, think about it and really ponder the magnitude of what you are saying. I'm willing to wager that even some of your Christian brothers and sisters who are on here who are white would NEVER utter such words or view.
Out of respect for the commentary between you and Fundy, I believe he has a perspective on history that is not possible while the sting of events is still present. I pray that God - yes, Him - ministers to you in such a way that you no longer see Him as tyrannical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 09:50 AM

4,309 posts, read 6,448,633 times
Deguire, I have a question for you. With all that intelligence you seem to have, why have you decided "switch" sides? Call me a cat................I'm curious.

Old 02-12-2009, 09:58 AM

605 posts, read 1,108,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Do you actually think it was a bet?
Uh...yeah. That is what it essentially was despite the story being nothing more than a literary device to teach patience in suffering and NOT true. It only leaves out the opening line, "Once upon a time there was..."

Quote:
God knew what the outcome would be.
And since he knew this, the suffering he allowed Job to go through was to prove what then? Who was God trying to prove a point to?

Quote:
If anything one could see that God was being unfair FOR Job. God protected Job, everything was good family, health, riches beyond belief, I believed he owned like 50,000 camels but since God has every right to do whatever He wants because He is sovereign and none of us deserve anything.
You really love this angle, huh? I understand it can create a sense of humility and gratitude but also a pathetic type of groveling. Not I, breddrin...not I.

Quote:
God simply took His protection off Job....
Why? To prove what to whom?

Quote:
The Book of Job teaches us to trust God under all circumstances. We must trust God, not only WHEN we do not understand, but BECAUSE we do not understand.
I agree with this. That is indeed the purpose of the story and it serves its purpose in that respect. The story is probably not factual at all but if we believe it is (as I am sure many Christians do), then it is rather disturbing, to say the least.

Quote:
If you think God was being unfair to Job I can guarantee you it was nothing to the unfairness that Jesus received on the cross-God sent His son to die for us, He was born a perfect man without sin, God Himself gave up his glory to come down here as one of us to die for us sinful, ungrateful, disgusting, undeserving wretches when He had every right not to. He took all our sin upon Him a man who had never known sin- He was God yet allowed us to jeer at Him, spit on Him, beat Him. He suffered a physical and spiritual death. How was that fair for Jesus?
That's their problem. I'm not the all-wise God who dreamed up this mess (following Christian logic here).

Quote:
I beg of you soften your heart and reach out, don't just read the bible study it without any preconceived ideas. You think you have valid questions that stump Christianity but you don't. You just don't understand.
If you think so, sir. If you think so.

Old 02-12-2009, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
Out of respect for the commentary between you and Fundy, I believe he has a perspective on history that is not possible while the sting of events is still present. I pray that God - yes, Him - ministers to you in such a way that you no longer see Him as tyrannical.
Huh???

Old 02-12-2009, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
Deguire, I have a question for you. With all that intelligence you seem to have, why have you decided "switch" sides? Call me a cat................I'm curious.

You haven't been paying attention in class, huh? Seek and you shall find.

In fact, my replies here actually gives some reasons why. Read them carefully.

Old 02-12-2009, 10:08 AM

3,196 posts, read 5,404,462 times
How come if god is not a tyrant that enjoys torturing his creation, his holy word, the "truth" given to us for all eternity, is expressed in 1 Thess 3:10? What kind of "father" would do that? What kind of "father" would even threaten to do that? In this country those kinds of parents get their kids taken away by the county child protective services....are Americans just more moral than god?

Old 02-12-2009, 10:10 AM

10 posts, read 12,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Wow! that is a deep question and that delves deep into many areas. First I gotta say, God had a preordained plan and that plan was to give the gospel to the Jews which in turn became His chosen people, that's it. It's not as simple as you think. First the Covenant with the Jews was a tough covenant, if the Jews followed they were blessed and if they didn't well then they were cursed. The land belonged to the Jews and God had made a promise to the Jews that they will have a home. Didn't you find it strange that even though the Jews were outnumbered yet they won their battles. Doesn't matter how chosen you think you are doesn't mean you will win. The people that God ordered the Jews to kill were wicked because they were pagans, practicing all kinds of wicked acts like human sacrifice.
I could write a book on your question but in a nutshell, all of it gives God the glory. We are all wicked in His sight, that is why we deserve death. When God kills people He has every right. We don't deserve the right to live.
No the European conquistadors way was more out of selfishness and greed but that doesn't mean God didn't use them to spread the gospel. God's way is perfect, man corrupts it.

Maybe I missed that part of history class. The conquistadors were not concerned with spreading Christianity, in fact it was used to demonized the native population of the Caribbean; South America; Central America, justification to exploit their resources, and to finally practically exterminate the population.

I am going to ask you a tough question from one black to another. Africa is one screwed up continent, the violence, the corruption has taken its toll on her people. If the slave traders did not come then you and I would be born in Africa probably facing the same horror many Africans face today so are you glad where you are born? are you glad you weren't born in Africa? Isn't God good for leading our people out of Africa so one day we can go back and show them the right way?
Your lack of knowledge about the slave trade and African History is really ridiculous. My family is from the US Virgin Islands, the former Danish West Indies and many of the slave in the DWI were taken from Ghana. Most of the Africans shipped out of Ghana, were undesirables...much like the Cuban Mariel boat lift, that dumped Cuba's undesirables on the shores of the US. At the same time that the United States were fighting to form their union, the Ashanti were developing the Asante Confederacy. Most of the slaves taken from that region were from nations/ethnic groups, that did not want to be part of the confederacy. The Asante were expanding because the understood the importance of developing a city-state in the region, which allowed each ethnic group in the confederacy a certain amount of autonomy. In addition, the Asante realized that the Europeans, particularly the British had their eyes on the prize, so to speak. My ancestors were Akwamu and many Akwamu were shipped out of Ghana because they were causing problems in the region- interrupting trade, not respecting a certain level of diplomacy, etc. It is a very complicated and interesting history.

And no!! It would not matter to me whether i was born in Ghana or the Caribbean.

Last edited by Jada515; 02-12-2009 at 10:18 AM..

Old 02-12-2009, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcashley View Post
How come if god is not a tyrant that enjoys torturing his creation, his holy word, the "truth" given to us for all eternity, is expressed in 1 Thess 3:10? What kind of "father" would do that? What kind of "father" would even threaten to do that? In this country those kinds of parents get their kids taken away by the county child protective services....are Americans just more moral than god?
I think we need to put god on trial but first, we need to send him for a psychiatric evaluation.

Old 02-12-2009, 10:18 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,198,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deguire View Post
Huh???
You sound bitter.

Old 02-12-2009, 10:21 AM

3,196 posts, read 5,404,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcashley View Post
Oops, I meant 2 Thesss....sorry for the mistake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity