Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 06:43 AM

2,255 posts, read 5,398,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn_2828 View Post
I for one don't feel the need to defend what I believe in. People will choose to believe in God or not. The cartoon really has nothing to do with the subject.
And the Trinity has nothing to do with the bible other than ancient politics to satisfy power ambitions of religious Hierarchy of the times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2009, 07:26 AM

14,885 posts, read 17,164,304 times
Quote:
I believe that God the Father is the originator of all and that all that Jesus was and is came from the Father.
I forgot to add that Jesus said that God was greater than He was. God bless.

Old 02-19-2009, 08:04 AM

1,577 posts, read 3,700,589 times
So if someone wrote a religious book today and claimed to be the 2nd coming and pulled off a good enough acting job, you'd all beleive that too? Or call that guy a kook?

I mean this was 2000 years ago in a desert full of uneducated peasants that explained anything they didn't understand as magic or the work of the supernatural. Its an easy way to explain things to a 5-yr old, but not to an educated society like today.

Old 02-19-2009, 08:54 AM

1,534 posts, read 1,991,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
ILNC,

Here is what I'm trying to say. Read these verses from the Bible:

Exodus 24:3 And Moses came and told the people all the words of the LORD, and all the judgments: and all the people answered with one voice, and said, All the words which the LORD hath said will we do.

Acts 4:32 And the multitude of them that believed were of one heart and of one soul: neither said any of them that ought of the things which he possessed was his own; but they had all things common.

1 Peter 3:8 Finally, be ye all of one mind, having compassion one of another, love as brethren, be pitiful, be courteous...

I'm sure you can recognize that, in every one of these examples, the word "one" is used to describe a noun (voice, heart, soul, mind). "All the people" can't literally have "one voice." "A multitude" can't have "one heart" or "one soul." A group of people can't have just "one mind." In every one of these instances, the implication is perfect and absolute unity of will and purpose. But when Jesus says that He and His Father are "one," most Christians insist that it's referring to a number and that the two of them are really only one.

Quote:
In every one of these instances, the implication is perfect and absolute unity of will and purposeBut when Jesus says that He and His Father are "one," most Christians insist that it's referring to a number and that the two of them are really only one.
While you are correct in the defintion of the word 'one'...it's "hen" and is Neut. and means 'one in essence not in person' (it would be 'heis' masc.) that doesn't prove the Jesus wasn't God in the flesh. I hear so many say, "Jesus never claimed He was God." To which I say, "He didn't?"

Let's look at some relevant Scriptures:

Jn. 10:17 Therefore doth my Father love me, because I lay down my life, that I might take it again

18 No man taketh it from me, but I lay it down of myself. I have power to lay it down, and *I have power to take it again. This commandment have I received of my Father.

Could anyone but God in the flesh raise Himself from the dead?

Jn. 10:25 Jesus answered them, I told you, and ye believed not: the works that I do in my Father’s name, *they bear witness of me.

*I'll get back to this in a minute...

Jn. 10:28 And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.

Could anyone other than God in the flesh give someone eternal life?

Jn. 10:29 My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father’s hand.

Jn. 10:38 But if I do, though ye believe not me, believe the *works: that ye may know, and believe, that the Father is in me, and I in him.

Jn. 14:11 Believe me that I am in the Father, and the Father in me: or else believe me for the very *works’ sake.

Jn. 5: 36 But I have greater witness than that of John: for the *works which the Father hath given me to finish, the same works that I do, bear witness of me, that the Father hath sent me.

Jn.7:31 And many of the people believed on him, and said, When Christ cometh, will he do more miracles than these which this man hath done?

Jn. 9:32 Since the world began was it not heard that any man opened the eyes of one that was born blind.

Jn. 15:24 If I had not done among them the *works which none other man did, they had not had sin: but now have they both seen and hated both me and my Father.

Joh 11:14 Then said Jesus unto them plainly, Lazarus is dead.
Joh 11:43 And when he thus had spoken, he cried with a loud voice, Lazarus, come forth.

Again I ask...Could anyone other than God call someone to come out of the 'grave' and back to life?

So we see that Christ's works bear witness the He was indeed God come in the flesh. So I say to those of you who insist He was only 'the son' ...open your Bible and read of His marvelous works and believe.

Last edited by mshipmate; 02-19-2009 at 09:04 AM..

Old 02-19-2009, 09:11 AM

23,017 posts, read 34,387,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Can someone PLEASE explain to me how verses from the Bible prove that Jesus is God?

I'm not trying to be confrontational - Perhaps I have a different definition of "proof". There's ample evidence from texts found since Biblical times that Yahweh was very different than he is portrayed. So, why are some texts proof and others are dismissable?
It depends on if you believe the Bible is true and if you believe it is the Word of God, and I do.

Old 02-19-2009, 10:51 AM

3,580 posts, read 6,305,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepacific View Post
And the Trinity has nothing to do with the bible other than ancient politics to satisfy power ambitions of religious Hierarchy of the times.
The Father, The Son, and The Holy Spirit are all the way through scripture.

Old 02-19-2009, 10:52 AM

3,580 posts, read 6,305,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshipmate View Post
While you are correct in the defintion of the word 'one'...it's "hen" and is Neut. and means 'one in essence not in person' (it would be 'heis' masc.) that doesn't prove the Jesus wasn't God in the flesh. I hear so many say, "Jesus never claimed He was God." To which I say, "He didn't?"

Let's look at some relevant Scriptures:

Jn. 10:17 Therefore doth my Father love me, because I lay down my life, that I might take it again

18 No man taketh it from me, but I lay it down of myself. I have power to lay it down, and *I have power to take it again. This commandment have I received of my Father.

Jn. 10:25 Jesus answered them, I told you, and ye believed not: the works that I do in my Father’s name, *they bear witness of me.

*I'll get back to this in a minute...

Jn. 10:28 And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.

Could anyone other than God in the flesh give someone eternal life?

Jn. 10:29 My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father’s hand.

Jn. 10:38 But if I do, though ye believe not me, believe the *works: that ye may know, and believe, that the Father is in me, and I in him.

Jn. 14:11 Believe me that I am in the Father, and the Father in me: or else believe me for the very *works’ sake.

Jn. 5: 36 But I have greater witness than that of John: for the *works which the Father hath given me to finish, the same works that I do, bear witness of me, that the Father hath sent me.

Jn.7:31 And many of the people believed on him, and said, When Christ cometh, will he do more miracles than these which this man hath done?

Jn. 9:32 Since the world began was it not heard that any man opened the eyes of one that was born blind.

Jn. 15:24 If I had not done among them the *works which none other man did, they had not had sin: but now have they both seen and hated both me and my Father.

Joh 11:14 Then said Jesus unto them plainly, Lazarus is dead.
Joh 11:43 And when he thus had spoken, he cried with a loud voice, Lazarus, come forth.

Again I ask...Could anyone other than God call someone to come out of the 'grave' and back to life?

So we see that Christ's works bear witness the He was indeed God come in the flesh. So I say to those of you who insist He was only 'the son' ...open your Bible and read of His marvelous works and believe.
Jesus is more than a Son.

Old 02-19-2009, 11:00 AM

2,255 posts, read 5,398,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshipmate View Post
If this were true, then the ransom Sacrifice was a hoax and Satan wins the challenge and argument he gave God in the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshipmate

By your definition here, Moses would have been God for performing all those miracles. The Prophets Elijah and Elisha should both be considered God on Earth because both resurrected people long before Jesus ever got here. Elisha also resurrected someone long after he was dead. Marauding bands of Moabites buried a man where Ilisha was and the man's body touched Elisha's bones and the man lived again. Were those dead bones God almighty as well ???

I guess the apostles Peter and Paul both were also God almighty since they resurrected the dead as well. By your own definition ONLY God in the flesh could have done such a thing and all of them were in the flesh.

Old 02-19-2009, 12:33 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,708,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
It depends on if you believe the Bible is true and if you believe it is the Word of God, and I do.
How, then, do you respond to those who just as passionately believe the Qur'an is the Word of God and cite passages from that book as "proof" of their beliefs?

Is your belief in one book right and their belief in another book wrong? If so, on what grounds of assessment?

I'm just trying to figure out how all this belief is proof situation works. I don't get it.

Old 02-19-2009, 12:36 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,708,272 times
Quote:

Yes, humans are capable of doing this. It requires a mastery of consciousness, but enlightened masters walking this earth today are capable.

Before you dismiss that notion - consider how much more incredible it is that God gave us the ability to walk as Gods rather than just be subservient to powers we falsely imagine to be beyond us.

It's truly quite beautiful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity