Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 07:55 PM

4,346 posts, read 6,625,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
This would be a problem considering we are commanded to Love the Lord our God with all our heart soul and mind, and our neighbor as ourselves. The problem would be by making such a choice you would be loving your neighbor more than God and that is a little backwards because you are supposed to love God even more than yourself.
How would it not be loving toward God to sacrifice yourself for some one else? "Greater love has no man than this that a man lay down his life for his friends".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2009, 08:05 PM

4,213 posts, read 5,842,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
How would it not be loving toward God to sacrifice yourself for some one else? "Greater love has no man than this that a man lay down his life for his friends".
This is speaking of your earthly life, but we are still to love no one more than God and to ask to go to hell in place of a friend is elevating that friend above God. Yes it would be a great sacrificial thing to want to trade places with a friend in eternal hell but this would mean rejecting God. You are asking for a sacrifice that could not be done because once you reject God for your friend you have nothing to bargain with because you have rejected the only barganing tool, God.

Old 04-06-2009, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
This is speaking of your earthly life, but we are still to love no one more than God and to ask to go to hell in place of a friend is elevating that friend above God. Yes it would be a great sacrificial thing to want to trade places with a friend in eternal hell but this would mean rejecting God. You are asking for a sacrifice that could not be done because once you reject God for your friend you have nothing to bargain with because you have rejected the only barganing tool, God.
In my hypothetical scenario I'm not asking if it's okay with God - I asked "If" God gave you the chance (meaning He okay'd it) - would you do it? That's the question.

Old 04-06-2009, 08:58 PM

305 posts, read 1,235,026 times
maybe..for my daughter...............
but shes only 4......

Old 04-06-2009, 09:02 PM

4,213 posts, read 5,842,958 times
Quote:
In my hypothetical scenario I'm not asking if it's okay with God - I asked "If" God gave you the chance (meaning He okay'd it) - would you do it? That's the question.
Yes.

Old 04-06-2009, 09:16 PM

10,295 posts, read 9,707,929 times
How can this question be asked? Even if it is a hypothetical scenario......
When CU's do not believe that we are given a choice or have the will to make such a decision? Plus they don't even believe in eternal hell?
Just curious to why one would ask something like this!

Blessings....

Old 04-06-2009, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlythecosmo View Post
How can this question be asked? Even if it is a hypothetical scenario......
When CU's do not believe that we are given a choice or have the will to make such a decision?
Just curious to why one would ask something like this!

Blessings....
A 'yes' answer represents a degree of love and sacrifice which is staggering in it's scope.

Most everyone who believes in eternal torment also believes that it doesn't apply to them - which is something I find curious. It's ALWAYS someone else in eternal torment (the bad guys) and even though most believers in it say "I deserve it too" they still believe they won't get it because they have taken the proper steps to avoid it (and who wouldn't take whatever steps were necessary IF they were convinced of it's reality?)

I have asked it in several different forums and have never gotten a 'yes' until a couple of posts ago.

So: Would you? Why or why not?

Do you love anyone that much?

Does Jesus love anyone that much?

Old 04-07-2009, 05:40 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,707,929 times
Sorry for taking so long, I went to bed after I posted my questions...

Quote:
Quote:
A 'yes' answer represents a degree of love and sacrifice which is staggering in it's scope.

Most everyone who believes in eternal torment also believes that it doesn't apply to them - which is something I find curious. It's ALWAYS someone else in eternal torment (the bad guys) and even though most believers in it say "I deserve it too" they still believe they won't get it because they have taken the proper steps to avoid it (and who wouldn't take whatever steps were necessary IF they were convinced of it's reality?)

I have asked it in several different forums and have never gotten a 'yes' until a couple of posts ago.
I believe I lived that hell,( it just had not become eternal)..... before I became a child of God.... my sin thirst and lust constantly striving and never was quenched or satisfied....always seeking to be relieved from the unconscious condemnation within my soul.
That is how deceiving my sin was.... till I was brought from the darkness to the Light!
It was the only life I knew and lived until Christ came into my heart and delivered me from the hell of my sin....

Quote:
So: Would you? Why or why not?
Yes, I would, and have prayed a prayer similar to your quest.

Quote:
Do you love anyone that much?
Yes, I love my Lord that much, if He asked this of me I would do it.... knowing there is a purpose He would have this come to pass in my life for another.... He knows my heart!

Quote:
Does Jesus love anyone that much?
Yes, and I believe He did.... Matt.12:39-40.

Old 04-07-2009, 06:52 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,581,225 times
Quote:
I would like to pose a question to all those who believe in unending eternal punishment for the 'lost'.

If (hypothetically of course) God were to give you the opportunity to trade places in eternity with someone you loved who died without Christ (friend, mother, brother, someone you failed to witness to - whoever) would you do it? That is, given the opportunity, would you trade your place of eternal bliss for their place of eternal torment just out of of sacrificial agape love?

If so: Why?

If not: Why not?
Are you saying, if we were in heaven? if so then that's easy and hard at the same time because they are our loved ones and we so deeply care for them in the fallen state we are but when we are in heaven and see the eternal bliss and glory then we would believe that our loved ones belong where they are and have no one to blame but themselves. Them being there and us being here gives God the glory.

Old 04-07-2009, 07:10 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,581,225 times
Quote:
That is easy, IT IS in this existence but the bible is clear that when we die in our sins it is over, no more chances, and sin must be punished which gives God the glory. If I trade places with someone else to give them salvation or sacrifice my eternal existence of bliss. How does that give God the glory in fact does it not take away God's glory by giving it to me? Do you understand God's nature. God is very clear all through the bible, that it is all for His glory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity