Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 06:29 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,963,052 times

Advertisements

Paul, in Romans 4, brings up Abraham and how he believed God and that belief was accounted to Abraham for righteousness. And Paul used Abraham as an example for those who want to get saved. It is really simple. God does not ask you to go to theology school to figure everything out. He just asks one simple thing: Do you believe Me?

Abraham believed God and it was accounted to him for righteousness. You too can be accounted righteous by believing God. But what are you to believe?

When Abraham and Sarah were about 100 years old God told him he would have a son and be the father of many nations. Abraham believed God. God did not require Abraham to go to med school to figure out how it would be possible for this to happen. He just believed God.

And now God is asking you to believe Him.

Romans 4:22-25 CLV Wherefore, also, it is reckoned to him [Abraham] for righteousness." (23) Now it was not written because of him only, that it is reckoned to him, (24) but because of us also, to whom it is about to be reckoned, who are believing on Him Who rouses Jesus our Lord from among the dead." (25) Who was given up because of our offenses, and was roused because of our justifying." 5:1-2 Being, then, justified by faith, we may be having peace toward God, through our Lord, Jesus Christ, (2) through Whom we have the access also, by faith, into this grace in which we stand, and we may be glorying in expectation of the glory of God."

Did you see it? In verse 24 if you just believe God Who rouses Jesus our Lord from among the dead, Who was given up because of our offenses and was roused because of our justifying then you are justified or considered righteous.

Paul also stated this:

1 Corinthians 15:1-4 CLV (1) Now I am making known to you, brethren, the evangel which I bring to you, which also you accepted, in which also you stand, (2) through which also you are saved, if you are retaining what I said in bringing the evangel to you, outside and except you believe feignedly." (3) For I give over to you among the first what also I accepted, that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures, (4) and that He was entombed, and that He has been roused the third day according to the scriptures,

Just believe. God doesn't require you to figure it all out as to what actually took place concerning Christ dying for us all. He just asks for simple faith, faith in Him, faith in what He has declared to be. Is God believable? Can you just go to God and say: "God, I can't figure it all out but if You say Christ died for all my sins, all my sins past, present and future, I believe you." If you can tell that to God, and really mean it, then you are saved. Don't expect goose bumps or a fiery charriot coming down out of the sky welcoming you into God's family. Just believe and rejoice in what God has done through His Son for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2009, 07:33 AM

4,655 posts, read 5,067,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post

Just believe. God doesn't require you to figure it all out as to what actually took place concerning Christ dying for us all. He just asks for simple faith, faith in Him, faith in what He has declared to be. Is God believable? Can you just go to God and say: "God, I can't figure it all out but if You say Christ died for all my sins, all my sins past, present and future, I believe you." If you can tell that to God, and really mean it, then you are saved. Don't expect goose bumps or a fiery charriot coming down out of the sky welcoming you into God's family. Just believe and rejoice in what God has done through His Son for you.

It takes a bit more than belief--it takes a real trust--a life-changing trust that causes you to give up your sins and repent. Abraham wasn't saved by what he did--but his belief did cause him to act. Likewise, nothing we do can save us, or contribute in any way--but our faith needs to be real trust that produces those good works in our life--or it's not real.

Old 05-21-2009, 07:33 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,562,395 times
Many things we say is now cliche in today's world. What exactly does "believe" entail?

Old 05-21-2009, 07:37 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,694,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
It takes a bit more than belief--it takes a real trust--a life-changing trust that causes you to give up your sins and repent. Abraham wasn't saved by what he did--but his belief did cause him to act. Likewise, nothing we do can save us, or contribute in any way--but our faith needs to be real trust that produces those good works in our life--or it's not real.
It's not what we know....but whom we know!!!

Old 05-21-2009, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Many things we say is now cliche in today's world. What exactly does "believe" entail?
Keep it simple.

God just wants us to trust that what He has said is true.

God does not expect the sinner to have to go to theology school to try to figure out what "believe" entails.

Trusting that what God has said that Christ died for our sins is what saves us.

If one trusts God that this is so then they are saved. It is just that simple.

Old 05-21-2009, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Keep it simple.

God just wants us to trust that what He has said is true.

God does not expect the sinner to have to go to theology school to try to figure out what "believe" entails.

Trusting that what God has said that Christ died for our sins is what saves us.

If one trusts God that this is so then they are saved. It is just that simple.
I beg to differ, when one delves deeper in theology than one can really grow. Too many Christians listen to the "me" gospel. Most Christians can't answer simple questions, like who are the epistles, many believe they are the wives of the apostles. Most Christians have not a clue what are the attributes of God? I beg to differ. Theology is highly important rather than the nonsense taught on most Sunday mornings. "Sex God" etc......

Old 05-21-2009, 08:41 AM

This thread, Fundamentalist, is approaching someone on the street that never heard or never attended church.

Paul the apostle never went and preached to someone on the street and had to get into deep word studies and theological research and the like which one does AFTER one is saved.

In approaching someone on the street you just want them to trust God that what He said in Christ dying for that one's sins is believable. Gheesh, don't make it so hard that the unbeliever can't be saved unless they graduate from seminary!

Old 05-21-2009, 08:44 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,694,526 times
Quote:
This thread, Fundamentalist, is approaching someone on the street that never heard or never attended church.

Paul the apostle never went and preached to someone on the street and had to get into deep word studies and theological research and the like which one does AFTER one is saved.

In approaching someone on the street you just want them to trust God that what He said in Christ dying for that one's sins is believable. Gheesh, don't make it so hard that the unbeliever can't be saved unless they graduate from seminary!
Amen......!!!!

Old 05-21-2009, 08:44 AM

Quote:

I never said that, please no exaggerations

Well then my friend, if it's that easy then over 80% of the U.S. population is saved.

Old 05-21-2009, 08:46 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,175,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
I beg to differ, when one delves deeper in theology than one can really grow. Too many Christians listen to the "me" gospel. Most Christians can't answer simple questions, like who are the epistles, many believe they are the wives of the apostles. Most Christians have not a clue what are the attributes of God? I beg to differ. Theology is highly important rather than the nonsense taught on most Sunday mornings. "Sex God" etc......
It's true that hungering and thirsting will get you filled, but "becoming as a little child" is not exactly attending seminary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity