Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 02:53 PM

1,417 posts, read 2,180,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanMolstad View Post
I think there is a clear connection between the rise of Liberalism in the church leadership and the fall of church membership.

Has any denomination that has opened the door to the Gays being in church leadership had the church membership grow as a result?

Notice also, the denominations that allow for an easy divorce, tend to also see their numbers slide.
I can't answer for everyone- but I don't feel comfortable in my home church (baptist) because of THIS^^. How on earth can loving and welcoming gays not be scriptural? Jesus welcomed the company of prostitutes (even though fornication is strongly rebuked in the bible.)
For myself- I don't think that most churches search for God anymore...rather people search for the church that hates the same people they do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2009, 03:03 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,289,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicket View Post
I can't answer for everyone- but I don't feel comfortable in my home church (baptist) because of THIS^^. How on earth can loving and welcoming gays not be scriptural? Jesus welcomed the company of prostitutes (even though fornication is strongly rebuked in the bible.)
For myself- I don't think that most churches search for God anymore...rather people search for the church that hates the same people they do.
Very good and valid question vicket , and very good point to.

Old 10-10-2009, 03:03 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,491,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justamere10 View Post
There you go again spin, pretending that you speak for "Christianity" when you know there are 38,000 different versions.

This was in my opinion an enjoyable thread until you, like just a very few others on this board often do, manifested your intolerance and bigotry towards other followers of Jesus Christ who don't believe exactly as you do.
Proclaiming that you should believe in Jesus of the Bible is intolerance bigotry now?

FYI...I don't pretend anything. I don't pretend to think you speak for Mormonism either.

Old 10-10-2009, 03:08 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,374,689 times
Quote:
But Jesus also said to the prostitute after accepting her repentent attitude: "go, and sin no more."

It is good to love all but addressing moral issues is the proper business of churches as I see it. Serious unrepented sin such as sexual sin (regardless of the genders involved) is not likely tolerated for long in most congregations that are serious about helping people come unto Christ and stay there.

As someone wrote above, watered down Christianity, preachers preaching only what itching ears are eager to hear, is probably not conducive to leading people to Christ.

Old 10-10-2009, 03:10 PM

7,996 posts, read 12,273,833 times
Quote:

I guess I was thinking more along the lines of keeping to ourselves all the diversity of conflicting beliefs and understandings that come with the concepts "God" and "salvation" and just focussing for a while on communications about developing and maintaining an individual relationship with Jesus Christ, and a working acquaintance with the things he asks us to physically DO in this lifetime. (Random acts of kindness for example.)

Would that be viable? Would that help move Christians on this board in the direction of a more harmonious relationship with each other? Any other suggestions to show doubters that it is possible for Christians of many denominations to present themselves in a more loving Christlike manner?

^ ^ WOW!!!

...June just fainted.

Old 10-10-2009, 03:12 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Proclaiming that you should believe in Jesus of the Bible is intolerance bigotry now?
There is no Jesus "of the bible" . . . only Bibleans and Bible worshipers have such a limited belief about Jesus . . . NOT Christians. THERE WAS NO BIBLE when He walked the earth as a human. We Christians believe in Jesus the Son of God.

Old 10-10-2009, 03:23 PM

Quote:
It is good to love all but addressing moral issues is the proper business of churches as I see it. Serious unrepented sin such as sexual sin (regardless of the genders involved) is not likely tolerated for long in most congregations that are serious about helping people come unto Christ and stay there.
Interesting point of view. Kick them out of the company of believers so they might eventually learn to believe PROPERLY . . . is that "helping them to come unto Christ?"I'm curious . . . does the congregation single you out and discuss your specific sins publicly or spend entire sermons publicly excoriating you about them? If so . . . is this kind of public humiliation effective in encouraging attendance and "helping people come unto Christ and stay there?"

Old 10-10-2009, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Do you realize you are what you're calling yourself?

Read what Jesus thought of those who opposed him.... "brood of vipers", "hyprocrates". With a little more careful reading, Jesus was in the company of prostitutes who were "former"...those who left their sinful life style.

Some do take it too far, but that isn't near the majority

Old 10-10-2009, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
There is no Jesus "of the bible" . . . only Bibleans and Bible worshipers have such a limited belief about Jesus . . . NOT Christians. THERE WAS NO BIBLE when He walked the earth as a human. We Christians believe in Jesus the Son of God.
There was a "bible" when Jesus walked the earth, Jesus often read from the "scriptures". He refered to "the scriptures". The "bible" was called scriptures and were in scroll form.
It consisted of the 5 books of Moses, the prophets, and the Psalms.

Christians who believe in Jesus, the Son of God, find him in the "scriptures", the OT and the NT...a.k.a the Bible.
Nowhere else.

Old 10-10-2009, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Do you realize you are what you're calling yourself?

Read what Jesus thought of those who opposed him.... "brood of vipers", "hyprocrates". With a little more careful reading, Jesus was in the company of prostitutes who were "former"...those who left their sinful life style.
How dare you assume the mantle of Christ and suggest vicket is opposing Jesus by opposing YOUR beliefs about Him. You have no idea whether or not anyone was "former" who associated with Jesus . . . only Jesus's admonishment to them.
Quote:
Some do take it too far, but that isn't near the majority
Count yourself among those who take things too far . . . to so presumptuously and self-righteously assume the mantle of Christ to charge ANYONE with being part of a "brood of vipers" etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity