Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 09:52 PM

3,067 posts, read 4,103,480 times

Advertisements

The future church...

as I have posted, I believe we are watching the death of the American traditional Christian denomination.
I believe this death is directly connected to the rise of liberalism within the different church leaderships.
I think you would have to be blind not to see the connection between the rise of the pro-Gay agenda in the church and the way the church is getting more and more empty as people just simply stop going.

The future?
The future is that in an effort to maintain their memberships we may see a bunch of split offs of different denominations.
I know my own Lutheran church is headed to a nasty split off of up to 1/3 of the denomination from the main body leadership.

Another thing we will see is that church attendance will become rare.
Christians will toss up their hands in frustration and simply not go to church anymore.
Christian baptisms will become rare
Christian gatherings will end
The ability of one Christian to list the real names of his Christian brothers and sisters, will end.

A few Christians will try to go on in their faith by use of the computer, or by reading alone, but that will only serve to farther isolate them from others who might have gained from knowing them.

and soon, the word "Christian" is only spoken of in an embarrassed whisper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2009, 09:53 PM

5,925 posts, read 6,946,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanMolstad View Post
I cant speak for everyone or every church, but I have been to about every type of church you can list, and I have come to one finding over and over.

Liberal churches are dieing, conservative churches are growing.

The most liberal church I have been a member of, turns out to be the Episcopal church.
Back when I was a member (The 60s) they were a stiff, and very conservative church , but they had a growing membership and were a strong voice in the city.

Then slowly they adopted the pro-gay agenda, and slowly they watched the church empty out.

Right now, my old Episcopal church has trouble keeping the lights on in the winter because they are so few members left.
But they have a openly gay minster, so they have ended up where they were headed I guess, (pro-Gay and very much dead)

I went to a very Conservative church in Washington, their membership is still growing , and they have had to split off and start 12 smaller churches due to their not being enough room for everyone.
The reason?
They teach fire and brimstone, and that is what people are seeking....

I see a lot of people seeking fire and brimstone because it is the carnal nature that leads a person to take on a view point that will elevate themselves above other and those they hate.

Simple carnal reasoning says that the churches that are growing are further from the truth and are seeking more of themselves no matter how righteous a life they may appear to be living.

I can attend one of the largest churches in town here and it's membership has risen and there is one central core message I find there.

You believe the message contained with in and your special and others who don't see it your way are the devils children. Sure can make someone think highly of themselves. Oh but they sure do love everyone, but those poor souls that don't see it there way.

Quite pathetic actually.

Old 10-10-2009, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
I can attend one of the largest churches in town here and it's membership has risen .
The name?

My whole point is that the traditional American Christian church is dieing and that this death is the result of the growing liberalism within the leadership.

If you are a member of a traditional church that is actually growing?. then I am getting bad information from the websites that are tracking church attendance among traditional churches.

As far as I can see from the data, the more liberal the denomination has gotten over the last generation, the more the church is dieing today.

I know of NO traditional denomination that has adopted a pro-gay platform that has not also seen a drop in membership as well.

so what church is that?

Old 10-10-2009, 10:16 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,491,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
How dare you assume the mantle of Christ and suggest vicket is opposing Jesus by opposing YOUR beliefs about Him. You have no idea whether or not anyone was "former" who associated with Jesus . . . only Jesus's admonishment to them.Count yourself among those who take things too far . . . to so presumptuously and self-righteously assume the mantle of Christ to charge ANYONE with being part of a "brood of vipers" etc.
What can I say, other than your enlightenment isn't showing very well.

Jesus speaking to the Pharisee's and Teachers of the Law:

Matthew 23:33
"You snakes! You brood of vipers! How will you escape being condemned to hell?

Matthew 12:34
You brood of vipers, how can you who are evil say anything good? For out of the overflow of the heart the mouth speaks.

John the baptist call's them the same thing:

Matthew 3:7
But when he saw many of the Pharisees and Sadducees coming to where he was baptizing, he said to them: "You brood of vipers! Who warned you to flee from the coming wrath?

Old 10-10-2009, 11:13 PM

5,925 posts, read 6,946,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanMolstad View Post
The name?

My whole point is that the traditional American Christian church is dieing and that this death is the result of the growing liberalism within the leadership.

If you are a member of a traditional church that is actually growing?. then I am getting bad information from the websites that are tracking church attendance among traditional churches.

As far as I can see from the data, the more liberal the denomination has gotten over the last generation, the more the church is dieing today.

I know of NO traditional denomination that has adopted a pro-gay platform that has not also seen a drop in membership as well.

so what church is that?

Of course not, people don't like the truth, they want to tickle their egos.

Old 10-10-2009, 11:34 PM

2,886 posts, read 8,282,340 times
Right Here!!
Praise God!!
Weary, most are just plain ole weary in well doing, looking at all of the wickedness in this present age, the rest need prayer, for the wolves are out to tear them up to shreds...
every one that is a man and woman of God need to remember that this is the turn around time (VICTORY) that is why the devil and his imps are waging an all out war, because the promises
are getting ready to fully manifest themselves, if you can't see that, watch CNN, Headline News for three days straight, you should be able to see the news in the scriptures
Spiritual Warfare time, and I mean now..
Keep in mind the promises of God and I will hopefully address some of your questions in the original post
God Bless You All

“Daily Confession of Faith”

In Christ I am anointed and a powerful person of God.
I am a joint-heir with Jesus and more than a conqueror.
I am a doer of the Word of God and a channel for His blessings.
If God be for me, who can be against me?
I am blessed coming in and I am blessed
Going out. My enemies are fleeing before me. God has commanded
His blessing on my storehouses. He has opened His
Good treasures and I shall lend and not borrow.
I am the head and not the tail.
He has given me power to make wealth.
I dwell in the secret place I have
His protection and provision. God is my refuge, my fortress
I am not afraid of the snare of the fowler. No
Evil shall befall me and no plague shall come nigh
My dwelling. God has given his angels
Charge over me and they are bearing me up in their hands lest
I dash my foot against a stone, as declared in Psalms 91.
I Peter 2:9 establishes I am a chosen generation,
A royal priesthood, a holy nation.
I am a peculiar person called out of darkness
Into His marvelous light.
I Peter 2:24 states, I have been healed by the stripes of Jesus.
Cancer, sugar diabetes, heart disease, sickness,
Afflictions, infections, or any other disease can not enter my body.
I am without spot or blemish,
An intercessor, the righteousness of God, saved, and washed in the
Blood of Jesus.
“No weapon formed against me shall prosper, and every tongue
Which rises against me in judgment You shall condemn.
This is the heritage of the servants of the LORD, and their
Righteousness is from Me," Says the LORD.
I am saved from wrath by Him and justified
by the Blood of the Lamb.

Lord I pray that those may prosper that love Jerusalem and that peace will be within them and prosperity in their houses according to Psalms 122:6-9.

Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Hallelujah!

Old 10-11-2009, 08:37 AM

1,544 posts, read 3,599,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justamere10 View Post
I guess I was thinking more along the lines of keeping to ourselves all the diversity of conflicting beliefs and understandings that come with the concepts "God" and "salvation" and just focussing for a while on communications about developing and maintaining an individual relationship with Jesus Christ, and a working acquaintance with the things he asks us to physically DO in this lifetime. (Random acts of kindness for example.)

Would that be viable? Would that help move Christians on this board in the direction of a more harmonious relationship with each other? Any other suggestions to show doubters that it is possible for Christians of many denominations to present themselves in a more loving Christlike manner?

Or is constant conflict the vital fuel that feeds discussion boards and all is well, with the help of a few good moderators?
It takes devotion to God, putting into practice the word of God and God touching the heart of those on these threads to begin peaceful interaction and true (not random) act of kindness. There must be a desire to grow in the Lord; he doesn't force himself on anyone here. What you are looking for very few find...many are called BUT few are (have) chosen.

I do believe the Lord is calling his flock out of the mainstream church because there is more "song and dance " than true worship and teaching/training the Body. I have met too many with the same complaint about the church so some are starting home churches or bible studies and I have even met someone who the Lord was teaching directly...all things are possible through the Lord.

I always wondered about the phrase in the bible "they listen to things taught by demons". I am getting an understanding about that and God does not want his people to be polluted by these teachings so he is drawing them nearer to Himself by his Spirit.

For me personally, the Lord is drawing me away from these threads. Don't get me wrong, there are some good people here but I have noticed some of those are not here like they used to be...God is moving once again; moving us to where he wants us to be.

Old 10-11-2009, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyewrist View Post
For me personally, the Lord is drawing me away from these threads..
you show a calm heart....
hate to see that fade from here....

Old 10-11-2009, 09:19 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,507,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyewrist View Post
For me personally, the Lord is drawing me away from these threads. Don't get me wrong, there are some good people here but I have noticed some of those are not here like they used to be...God is moving once again; moving us to where he wants us to be.
I can relate to this eyewrist..I truly believe that He places us where He wants us to be for reasons beyond our understanding at times..

As for myself I have tried to leave several times, but am always drawn back

Old 10-11-2009, 10:17 AM

63,809 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
What can I say, other than your enlightenment isn't showing very well.

Jesus speaking to the Pharisee's and Teachers of the Law:

Matthew 23:33
"You snakes! You brood of vipers! How will you escape being condemned to hell?

Matthew 12:34
You brood of vipers, how can you who are evil say anything good? For out of the overflow of the heart the mouth speaks.

John the baptist call's them the same thing:

Matthew 3:7
But when he saw many of the Pharisees and Sadducees coming to where he was baptizing, he said to them: "You brood of vipers! Who warned you to flee from the coming wrath?

Originally Posted by twin.spin
Do you realize you are what you're calling yourself?
o
Read what Jesus thought of those who opposed him.... "brood of vipers", "hyprocrates". With a little more careful reading, Jesus was in the company of prostitutes who were "former"...those who left their sinful life style.

Vicket did not oppose Jesus, twin . . . she opposed YOUR interpretations. The only way your accusation makes any sense is if YOU think you can speak for Jesus about who opposes Him. That seems a bit on the presumptuous and dangerous side to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity