Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2010, 09:33 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,573,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by herefornow View Post
I'm sorry. I just had to. Seemed the perfect thread for it. (I don't know how to say it any better. I just hope this helps somebody out there)

From the web-page L. Ray Smith - Letter to John Hagee

I apologize for highly understating my feelings on this despicable teaching.

Picture yourself being burned and tortured without relief and without any hope for trillions of centuries. Well, of course, we humanly cannot imagine such torture or such a long period of time-our minds and our emotions are incapable of it. If any sane Christian could witness, even for a few hours or a few days, the kind of hideous torture presented by Christian doctrine, I believe he would seriously reconsider whether a loving God is capable of such sadistic punishment. But consider a trillion centuries of such torture? For WHAT? Who is appreciating or benefiting from the specter of such a hell hole of misery, pain, sorrow, and total despair? God the Father? Christ Jesus? The Saints? The heavenly Host?

Next, try to imagine this torture for most of the human race, continuing for trillions upon trillions of centuries. Try this: A grain of sand contains millions and millions of atoms. Imagine that every atom in the known physical universe represents a trillion centuries of torture in Hell. It would thus take billions of trillions of centuries just to complete the atoms in a single grain of sand. Now imagine going to the second grain of sand, the third, the seven hundred and eighty ninth billion grain of sand, then all the atoms in the Earth, our Milky Way Galaxy, the next closest galaxy, the next billion closest galaxies, etc., etc., ONE ATOM (a trillion centuries) AT A TIME! Why don't you put down this paper and think about that length of torture. I'm sorry if it interferes with your afternoon cookies and tea, DO IT ANYWAY!

How far into eternity do you suppose such a mind-warping number of centuries would take us? It would take us NOWHERE into eternity! Victims of such a heretical teaching as "eternal torment" would be NO closer to the end of their ordeal after all these trillions upon trillions of centuries than when they began. They would not be ONE SECOND closer to the end of their suffering.
NO AMOUNT OF TIME CONCEIVABLE CAN DIMINISH AUGHT FROM ETERNITY!
Yet, the world of Christendom is teaching all nations, that this is the God of the Holy Scriptures. Dr. Kennedy says: "Hell is fair." You say: "Hell is justice."
I say, "you can't recognize THE DEPTH OF SATAN when it's staring you in the face"!
herefornow...thank you for sharing this. It is mind boggling that we as Christians cannot see it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2010, 10:03 PM

3,448 posts, read 3,134,063 times
The concept of "Hell" is an entirely human concept in its nature to
exercise punishment per mistake in "human behavior"
This suggested punishment is a suggested form of revenge that has been
imposed on our comprehension of a God of Creation.
Revenge of course represents one of life's smaller initiatives and how we can continue to impart the lowly act on a God represents the unfortunate role of revenge engaged in those who choose to believe in such a concept.
Yes if revenge is necessary in your life then perhaps the belief in Hell will
help console , although its worth rethinking per those who are willing to
understand the value of self patience. It is through the impatience of ourselves that we impose like with others in an effort to control something.
Control...if I can control others in what they believe and think then I may have a chance in controlling myself , said the sub-conscious to its self.
Fear in self realization and self control extends a need to impart these
behavior codes on others , thus indirectly "convincing ourselves" that indeed it must be so. This is a weakness, easily detected and very popular.
My friends, do you want God to be a "person" ? With an unspeakable need for a hell? Of course not Thats not the God we know ........................................... Please Note,
The "passage to hell" of a tyrant will cause the contemplation to continue to be "mindful" of the tyrant and the deeds before him in the realm of the hell experience itself.
Since the existence of hell "requires contemplation" of the infractions that are deserving of its accommodation by God himself and is bereft the goodness that a God is composed of, we cannot attribute the lack of goodness to a God
Contemplation of deserving infractions is bereft of "Goodness " . Void of the perfection we understand God to be for certain , as we would have our God contemplating the behaviors deserving of a hell to "sustain hell itself ".

Therefore I deduce and submit logically "proof of the falsity of hell or at least the highly improbable existence" of this very pronounced and vengeful location in our tireless efforts to understand the creation of all.

Last edited by stargazzer; 03-28-2010 at 10:54 PM..

Old 03-28-2010, 10:17 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,196,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazzer View Post
The concept of "Hell" is an entirely human concept in its nature to
excersize punishment per mistake in "human behaviour"
This suggested punishment is a suggested form of revenge that has been
imposed on our comprehension of a God of Creation.
Revenge of course represents one of lifes smaller initiatives and how we can continue to impart the lowly act on a God only represents the unfortuanate role of revenge engaged in those who choose to believe in such a concept.
Yes if revenge is neccesary in your life then perhaps the belief in Hell will
help console , although its worth rethinking per those who are willing to
understand the value of self patience. It is through the impatience of ourselves that we impose like with others in an effort to control something.
Control...if I can control others in what they believe and think then I may have a chance in controlling myself , said the sub-conscious to its self.
Fear in self realization and self control extends a need to impart these
behaviour codes on others , thus indirectly "convincing ourselves" that indeed it must be so. This is a weakness, easily detected and very popular.
My friends, do you want God to be a "person" ? With a need for Hell ?
How ridiculous........................................ ... Please Note,
"All experience the upsets of life and the "passage to hell" of a tirant will cause the contemplation to continue to be "mindful" of the tirant and the deeds before him.
Therefore as mentioned on the outset....Hell is Illogical as it requires contemplation of the infractions that are deserving of its accomodation.
Contemplation of deserving infractions is bereft of "Goodness"

Therefore I mathematically and logically submitt "proof of the falsity of hell. Thankyou , This is True.
The argument for me isn't whether people are actually set on fire for eternity, since I do not believe this to be the case. But I, as a Christian, do believe in divine punishment.

It is fair and just to be punished for doing things that you know to be wrong and for going against your conscience.

We certainly punish criminals and even children when they repeatedly go against the rules that have been set down in society and in our own households, else there would be lawlessness.

Old 03-28-2010, 11:09 PM

Quote:
The argument for me isn't whether people are actually set on fire for eternity, since I do not believe this to be the case. But I, as a Christian, do believe in divine punishment.

It is fair and just to be punished for doing things that you know to be wrong and for going against your conscience.

We certainly punish criminals and even children when they repeatedly go against the rules that have been set down in society and in our own households, else there would be lawlessness.
Very nicely put forward. I agree with the responsibility of consequence to be inseparable to all order including the order of creation .
With this equation , fairness is obliged.
The , (in my opinion) fairness attached in the after life may simply be a
doorway to correction. This doorway would be much like a loving parent
who with good temperance See's the consequence of correction to be
one of repair not retaliation . Always yearning for the finest and true role
of the child as the hopeful outcome. A child knows when he or she has been punished with impatience or ill will and so the child's ill will and patience follows as that finds its way to be the lesson itself.
With this reasoning , we find it hard to understand a God to be any less than a caring creator who's "will" is the true role and manifestation of each and all of our beings. Hope that makes sense and thanks for reply

Old 03-28-2010, 11:26 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,626,646 times
Quote:
I'm sorry. I just had to. Seemed the perfect thread for it. (I don't know how to say it any better. I just hope this helps somebody out there)

From the web-page L. Ray Smith - Letter to John Hagee

I apologize for highly understating my feelings on this despicable teaching.

Picture yourself being burned and tortured without relief and without any hope for trillions of centuries. Well, of course, we humanly cannot imagine such torture or such a long period of time-our minds and our emotions are incapable of it. If any sane Christian could witness, even for a few hours or a few days, the kind of hideous torture presented by Christian doctrine, I believe he would seriously reconsider whether a loving God is capable of such sadistic punishment. But consider a trillion centuries of such torture? For WHAT? Who is appreciating or benefiting from the specter of such a hell hole of misery, pain, sorrow, and total despair? God the Father? Christ Jesus? The Saints? The heavenly Host?

Next, try to imagine this torture for most of the human race, continuing for trillions upon trillions of centuries. Try this: A grain of sand contains millions and millions of atoms. Imagine that every atom in the known physical universe represents a trillion centuries of torture in Hell. It would thus take billions of trillions of centuries just to complete the atoms in a single grain of sand. Now imagine going to the second grain of sand, the third, the seven hundred and eighty ninth billion grain of sand, then all the atoms in the Earth, our Milky Way Galaxy, the next closest galaxy, the next billion closest galaxies, etc., etc., ONE ATOM (a trillion centuries) AT A TIME! Why don't you put down this paper and think about that length of torture. I'm sorry if it interferes with your afternoon cookies and tea, DO IT ANYWAY!

How far into eternity do you suppose such a mind-warping number of centuries would take us? It would take us NOWHERE into eternity! Victims of such a heretical teaching as eternal torment would be NO closer to the end of their ordeal after all these trillions upon trillions of centuries than when they began. They would not be ONE SECOND closer to the end of their suffering.
NO AMOUNT OF TIME CONCEIVABLE CAN DIMINISH AUGHT FROM ETERNITY!
Yet, the world of Christendom is teaching all nations, that this is the God of the Holy Scriptures. Dr. Kennedy says: "Hell is fair." You say: "Hell is justice."
I say, "you can't recognize THE DEPTH OF SATAN when it's staring you in the face"!
This is such a ridiculous letter. He is lamely pleading with a man of God to go against God's Word just because He doesn't like what God's Word says. I can't believe people have fallen for this cult guru's garbage.

Old 03-28-2010, 11:32 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,533,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
This is such a ridiculous letter. He is lamely pleading with a man of God to go against God's Word just because He doesn't like what God's Word says. I can't believe people have fallen for this cult guru's garbage.
If a God would send people to hell... he could send ANYONE to hell... is your God so fickle that one wrong move destines you to suffer without relief? Ever? How do you know YOU are not missing something?

Old 03-28-2010, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
If a God would send people to hell... he could send ANYONE to hell... is your God so fickle that one wrong move destines you to suffer without relief? Ever? How do you know YOU are not missing something?
Ah, so you admit you don't serve GOD, just some god you've created for yourself. Hmmpf, all makes sense now.

Old 03-29-2010, 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by katjonjj
Quote:
Ah, so you admit you don't serve GOD, just some god you've created for yourself. Hmmpf, all makes sense now.
Stargazzer says:
A very fair query Katjonjj, I will try to address in my opinion your observation with respect as we should respect each others quest for truth.
Of course if one wrong move destines you to suffer in hell with no relief we in our interpretation of the good God would all be missing just about everything since the first day humanity came into existence. I might add in my opinion that your overview of the infraction as being a "wrong move" is very much noble and highly qualitive in the interior life of self understanding . Possibly all, we have recourse to in our imperfection through the "struggle to do the best we can"
A benevolence of charity , good will and perfection is the assumed
identity of all deity's characteristics that assemble the notion and understanding of who or how a great creator would be. In my earlier post my opinion noted that the existence of Hell is virtually illogical or at least in deduction very unlikely in its primitive discription. The existence of hell requires the contemplation of wrong doings to employ the existence of hell itself. This contemplation of unspeakable wrong doings together with active eternal execution through hell is bereft of goodness . Not possible for a God of perfection ,goodness and benevolence as it stains the very existence of God through its "demand of contemplation by actuality" by God himself, or herself.
We all "serve" God from the moment we take our first breath and look like little darlings until the end of our earthly days. Even in wickedness and its of course " unavoidable corrective deployment" we
strive through our existence. As we learn , grow and weed out the imperfections lying within our mortal conscious and accompanying body's
we tirelessly strive to fulfill our true role in creation. These unfolding seasons throughout our lives are not always obvious to others at hasty glance and quite often not terribly obvious to even ourselves. Its with this condition that we as people have found good attention and reason to the virtue of charity and try to judge not with severity with cruelty to ourselves and others. Peace and charity to others and to ourselves through time and patience
gives room for structure. Structure is required in an environment to learn and grow.. This is Gods will I believe just as its Gods will for a nice flower to bloom in the Spring. I enjoyed your post and in my opinion the direct view you apply to these deeper thoughts of conscious is a qualitative treasure in good sound thinking !

Last edited by stargazzer; 03-29-2010 at 02:26 AM..

Old 03-29-2010, 01:56 AM

No we don't "all serve God from the time we take our first breath"........we are born evil because of sin and the only cure for that is the acceptance of Jesus Christ as Savior. I think Mike555 explained it pretty well in another thread........

Quote:
God doesn't create evil. People are born by way of procreation. The body is biologically produced in the womb. The old sin nature, which is biological, is passed to the fetus from the male via the sperm. Jesus had to be virgin born in order to avoid being born with a sin nature. Now while the body is the result of biological processes, the soul is directly created by God. The soul as it comes from God is perfect. But when the fetus emerges from the womb and takes it's first breath, at that point, God places the soul into the body of that infant. However, God also imutes Adam's original sin to the old sin nature of that infant which results in spiritual death which is separation from God in time. The soul at the point of contact with the body becomes tainted.

Therefore man is born physically alive and at the same time spiritually dead. God selected everyone who is born to be born. And from that moment on, the issue is, will you believe in Christ or not?

The Bible is clear on the issue of salvation. But people arrogantly try to apply human logic in an attempt to explain away the requirement of believing in Christ for salvation because they don't want to face the reality of hell for the unbeliever.

Like it or not, God has decreed that this is the way things are. Man comes into the world without a relationship with God. And apart from receiving the free gift of salvation through faith in Christ, man will depart from this world without a relationship with God, and will spend all eternty in that status.

Here are some pertinent links.

What is spiritual death?

Ye Must Be Born Again!

There are no

http://www.mygraceway.org/userFiles/..._of_nature.pdf

Old 03-29-2010, 04:38 AM

Quote:
No we don't "all serve God from the time we take our first breath"........we are born evil because of sin and the only cure for that is the acceptance of Jesus Christ as Savior. I think Mike555 explained it pretty well in another thread........
I believe we serve God as we take are first breath although will rephrase that definately in wickedness one obviously does not serve God.

Now, If acceptance of Jesus is the only way to salvation and I am not in any way an unbeliever in Chrisatianity, then it would place all born prior
in non-acceptance. These are your words seen above
The list of individuals you digress is mind boggleing, Moses all the
relatives of Jesus who were born before him, all of mankind ect ect.
This is the highest form of anti-christianity imaginable . Almost Nazi like in puffed up gropping born out of insecurity , ignorance and selected interpetation of readings. If you need to interpet in a prejudice to allow for self importance that is your loss. Reading all the books in the world is a waste of time if you only learn the ill will you have in your heart for mankind since its inception. Peace is what your supposed to learn ...not
a ridiculus notion that God is some kind of clown that sells tickets and
the ticket must be purchased for some at a time not available.
You've insulted the creator with idiotic assertions.
Again, if this is what you enjoy to believe your hiding behind something and encourage you to let go whatever "hatred" is in your heart This
ill-will is being reflected by your shallow philosophy....Let your buried
hatred out and live in peace.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity