Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 03:00 PM

3,969 posts, read 8,502,714 times

Advertisements

Different strokes for different folks!

Old 04-19-2012, 03:23 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,476,450 times
If the airport was in Ohio there would be less job growth because the taxes are much higher than in other states. My sister and her husband own a house in Independence KY that is worth $190,000. My future in laws own a house in Springfield township that is worth $60,000. Sis and husband pay LESS property taxes per year!! They're also in a better public school district and have better infrastructure.

If the airport wasn't in low tax Kentucky there would be no way the Cincy Metro could eek out it's lousy 5% growth rate per census. Indiana is the only Midwestern state with Southern tax rates... that's why it's population is growing 5X faster than Illinois, Ohio, or Michigan.

Old 04-19-2012, 03:27 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtechno View Post
Different strokes for different folks!
That is definitely true. But some think their approach is the way everybody should live. Living in a crowded urban environment was something I didn't want to do 60 years ago and I still don't want to do. Those who like that, fine have a great time at it. But to think it is everybody's cup of tea, baloney.

Old 04-19-2012, 04:24 PM

I can't remember when you were more than 5 minutes from Fountain Square and could walk to 20+ restaurants in 5 minutes for lunch. I don't think you could actually do it at Fountain Square. At least the concrete parking lots in Blue Ash give people the option to live in Blue Ash, Mason, Montgomery, Simms Township, Loveland, Reading, Sharonville, and the rest of the family friendly areas close by. Yes, I will continue to throw-down when people cannot recognize why people want to live there compared to a crime ridden downtown area which is in transition. Just love that term - transition.

If you didn't throw such a big dish at the suburbs who mostly are perfectly content with their lifestyle, maybe you would receive more support for what you are trying to accomplish. But when you try to push your ideas down other peoples throats they will tell you to shove off.

Old 04-19-2012, 04:41 PM

865 posts, read 1,472,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
If you didn't throw such a big dish at the suburbs who mostly are perfectly content with their lifestyle, maybe you would receive more support for what you are trying to accomplish. But when you try to push your ideas down other peoples throats they will tell you to shove off.
Honestly I don't think anyone arguing on here gives a crap for getting support from suburbanites, especially when you yourself are so quick to "throw such a big dish" at the city every opportunity you get. It's a two way street.

Old 04-19-2012, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinciFan View Post
Honestly I don't think anyone arguing on here gives a crap for getting support from suburbanites, especially when you yourself are so quick to "throw such a big dish" at the city every opportunity you get. It's a two way street.
You are very quick to ridicule the suburbs, but exhibit about zero tolerance for anything in return.

So pursue everything on your own and with animosity and see how far you get. Like it or not, the concentration of the income to make things happen is in the suburbs.

Old 04-19-2012, 04:58 PM

2,491 posts, read 4,469,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post

>The people of Blue Ash enjoy a standard of living and amenities Cincinnati can only dream about. Just ask any of the many people who live there.

You are absolutely delusional. Blue Ash is a throwaway suburb. There are hundreds of Blue Ashes around the US, there are only about 15 cities with real downtowns and real city neighborhoods, Cincinnati being one of them.
Good grief.
To say that Blue Ash enjoys amenities and a SOL over Cincinnati is just ridiculous. It barely warrants a response.

Never mind the fact that Blue Ash is completely dependent on Cincinnati for its own survival. The sooner people in these dozens of far-flung municipalities start realizing that this is one region centered around the alpha male city of Cincinnati, the sooner we can get about the real business of taking it to another level.

Old 04-19-2012, 05:53 PM

When the population of Cincinnati compared to the Metro Area is about 14%, just who is the Alpha Male? Dream on people.

I have said several times the CBD will definitely survive because the big companies want it to. But to be the industructible force behind Cincinnati as a whole, no way. You can claim the suburrbs cannot survive without Cincinnati, but the fact is it is the other way around.

Old 04-19-2012, 06:06 PM

2,491 posts, read 4,469,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
When the population of Cincinnati compared to the Metro Area is about 14%, just who is the Alpha Male? Dream on people.

I have said several times the CBD will definitely survive because the big companies want it to. But to be the industructible force behind Cincinnati as a whole, no way. You can claim the suburrbs cannot survive without Cincinnati, but the fact is it is the other way around.
Then who is the alpha male in this region, kjbrill? Mason? West Chester? Monroe? Perhaps it's Lawrenceburg? Or even Wilder?

Where are the Fortune 500 companies located? What is the major university here called? What is the name on the jersey of the baseball team? What does the symphony call itself? Where do the Broadway plays take place? Where are the TV stations located? What is the name of the dominant newspaper? What do the monitors say at airports for flights here?

One word answer to all: Cincinnati. The CBD is doing more than "surviving," in case you haven't noticed in your multitude trips to Applebee's on Fields Ertel. Comparing Blue Ash or Mason to Cincinnati is like comparing a paper airplane to a 747.

The rest of the satellite bedroom communities are the pawns in this local game of chess. God, suburbs really are full of themselves sometime.

P.S. ... What is the percentage of the LA metro area is the City of Los Angeles?

Old 04-19-2012, 06:33 PM

abr7rmj...

Call it like you will. But the fact is the majority of the disposable income in Cincinnati is concentrated in the suburbs. I did not claim either one of them is the alpha male in Cincinnati, because you see they really don't have to be. It is their collective purchasing power which controls the region. They can live their indiividual lives in their own individuals areas and be very content, knowing the City of Cincinnati is virtually powerless to stop them.

The major university is called the University of Cincinnati, but it is no longer the municipal supported university it was whan I went there. Why is that? It is now just another State of Ohio institution which happens to be located in Cincinnati.

As far as the Fortune 500 companies, yes several of the headquarters are downtown. But where are their local business operations, if they even have any.

You see, this whole argument is rediculous, since until Cincinnati can rebuild its population to something close to the 1950s, the fact is the decision makers and the money reside in the suburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati