Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 11:43 AM

465 posts, read 659,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Please clarify for me just what the mixed-use designation applies to, as you lost me. On the one hand we have a bike trail, which obviously walkers, runners, and joggers can use. But that is true of any bike trail. One the other hand we have a reserved rail corridor which has no active component nor a schedule to establish one. So what is the mixed-use?
The mix of uses in these plans is bike/pedestrian and rail. So while the bike use can be completed soon, the rail part has no timetable, but the designs are in place that it could still happen at some point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2014, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Why can't such things as the Wasson Way project be streetcar all the way? I thought Cincy was buying one of the most advanced streetcar designs available. Why is it not suitable for the Wasson Way line? Too Slow? Ask the manufacturer to build us some higher geared trains with greater top speed. Might be a little slow on the takeoff but the top speed should more than make up for it. Run a few express routes. With fewer stops on a rail should still beat car commute times.

The sharing of parts, maintenance training, etc. should more than compensate against a one-off, one-track, rail line still requiring maintenance, service, trained technicians, etc.

I can envision streetcars running as far as Kenwood with no problem. After all, when I was young I rode streetcars from Silverton to downtown.

But even that has to wait until the uptown link gets built. Anyone want to guess how long that is going to take?
Since the Cincy streetcar is also light rail capable, the only real difference in what I was talking about is where the tracks are. In this case it would be separate from the street through the Wasson Way corridor, but physically sharing the streets most of the rest of the way into downtown. Some would probably want longer trains for commuter routes, but given the turning limitations these trains would have downtown, I don't know how possible that is.

Old 07-09-2014, 11:54 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,809,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustBeltOptimist View Post
The mix of uses in these plans is bike/pedestrian and rail. So while the bike use can be completed soon, the rail part has no timetable, but the designs are in place that it could still happen at some point.
So at this point it is a fake. The if-come-maybe of the rail component is just that, if-come-maybe. But they are going to apply for federal money based on mixed-use. And when you say designs, you mean conceptual schetches. How many architectural drawings exist, with detailed station designs, grade levels, ready to build details. No, I didn't think so.

Old 07-09-2014, 12:36 PM

Quote:
So at this point it is a fake. The if-come-maybe of the rail component is just that, if-come-maybe. But they are going to apply for federal money based on mixed-use. And when you say designs, you mean conceptual schetches. How many architectural drawings exist, with detailed station designs, grade levels, ready to build details. No, I didn't think so.
When I say designs, I mean those for the bike trail only, no actual rail designs in the city exist outside the current streetcar route to the best of my knowledge. I wouldn't expect there to be here until a regional rail plan was a lot farther along in the process than it currently is and more funding and political capital was in place.

That doesn't necessarily mean planning for rail is a fake, though. Rail projects almost always take decades to bring to fruition, especially if there are political headwinds.

Old 07-10-2014, 09:36 AM

17,587 posts, read 13,367,588 times
Quote:
A TIGER grant for a bike trail. How interesting. How is the bike trail construed as public transportation? Public recreation yes, but transportation?
I agree fo a change, but isn't that what Cincy City Council got for bike lanes downtown??

Old 07-10-2014, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
I agree fo a change, but isn't that what Cincy City Council got for bike lanes downtown??
I can understand that for bike lanes in a dense downtown neighborhood where a number of people may actually be biking to work, and that is transportation. But a bike trail out in the countryside where few people even have the stamina to consider biking to work? It is a recreational trail.

Old 07-10-2014, 10:11 AM

549 posts, read 849,131 times
Quote:
I can understand that for bike lanes in a dense downtown neighborhood where a number of people may actually be biking to work, and that is transportation. But a bike trail out in the countryside where few people even have the stamina to consider biking to work? It is a recreational trail.
The East Side neighborhoods aren't exactly the country. While I somewhat agree that this trail will probably have more recreational users than commuters, there are a bunch of examples of urban rails-to-trails projects that are being used as commuter links. Look up the Midtown Greenway in Minneapolis or the Oak Leaf Trail in Milwaukee for some good examples. I'd imagine the federal government is using these examples as a rubber stamp on any urban rails-to-trails conversion.

Old 07-10-2014, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProkNo5 View Post
The East Side neighborhoods aren't exactly the country. While I somewhat agree that this trail will probably have more recreational users than commuters, there are a bunch of examples of urban rails-to-trails projects that are being used as commuter links. Look up the Midtown Greenway in Minneapolis or the Oak Leaf Trail in Milwaukee for some good examples. I'd imagine the federal government is using these examples as a rubber stamp on any urban rails-to-trails conversion.
Where this route runs is country, virtually no population density. Now you are trying to tell me someone in Newtown will be looking to bike to work in Oakley? But you are right in one thing, the federal government is looking to rubber stamp things.

Oh, another poster said a separate bike trail only project would cost $36 million while the compromise run the trail over a portion of the rail would only cost $11.2 million. A difference of $25 million? Sounds so me like selling out the long term for the short term. Let's say the rail get's a go ahead, I know a real long shot. But then you have to produce the money to also rebuild that section of the bike trail. Did somebody build a money tree along the trail?

Old 07-10-2014, 11:26 AM

549 posts, read 849,131 times
Quote:
Where this route runs is country, virtually no population density. Now you are trying to tell me someone in Newtown will be looking to bike to work in Oakley? But you are right in one thing, the federal government is looking to rubber stamp things.

Oh, another poster said a separate bike trail only project would cost $36 million while the compromise run the trail over a portion of the rail would only cost $11.2 million. A difference of $25 million? Sounds so me like selling out the long term for the short term. Let's say the rail get's a go ahead, I know a real long shot. But then you have to produce the money to also rebuild that section of the bike trail. Did somebody build a money tree along the trail?
Are you looking at the same trail we are? It's going through Norwood, Evanston, Oakley, Hyde Park, Fairfax, and Mariemont. It's also connecting a few relatively large shopping areas. I'm not arguing that someone will commute from Newtown to Oakley, but I am arguing that people will commute from Xavier to Hyde Park Plaza, or Fairfax to Rookwood.

Also, I'm not exactly understanding your issue in the second paragraph. They can either build a trail next to the current rails but use the current bridges until the rail gets built, or they can build new bridges now while letting the current bridges sit there empty. Seems like a wise and frugal compromise to me.

Old 07-10-2014, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProkNo5 View Post
Also, I'm not exactly understanding your issue in the second paragraph. They can either build a trail next to the current rails but use the current bridges until the rail gets built, or they can build new bridges now while letting the current bridges sit there empty. Seems like a wise and frugal compromise to me.
No, it is not a frugal compromise, it is called taking advantage of the circumstances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati