Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state has the best lakes
Minnesota 105 26.38%
Michigan 122 30.65%
Wisconsin 35 8.79%
Maine 5 1.26%
New York 42 10.55%
New Hampshire 4 1.01%
Washington 14 3.52%
Vermont 1 0.25%
Idaho 8 2.01%
California 21 5.28%
Florida 14 3.52%
Texas 13 3.27%
Ohio 8 2.01%
Arizona 3 0.75%
Nevada 3 0.75%
Voters: 398. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 10:16 PM

12,082 posts, read 38,728,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLABoyJ View Post
Oh yeah, Arkansas has better lakes than any of the great lakes.
Give your hatred of the Great Lakes a rest. You have no clue what you are talking about kid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2010, 10:21 PM

1,416 posts, read 3,198,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Give your hatred of the Great Lakes a rest. You have no clue what you are talking about kid.
Ok that was a stretch. But by gosh there are more lakes in this country than the great lakes. Maybe not more significant but sure are more exciting ones. Yall are all down the russian dudes back geeesh. Its all a matter of Opinion.

Old 06-18-2010, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Ok that was a stretch. But by gosh there are more lakes in this country than the great lakes. Maybe not more significant but sure are more exciting ones. Yall are all down the russian dudes back geeesh. Its all a matter of Opinion.
The area around the Great Lakes consist of tens of thousands of lakes. Hardly anyone here is saying the MN, MI or WI has the best lakes because of the Great Lakes. Yes they play a part, but most are basing their choice on the multitude of smaller lakes that are also available. Very few lakes in AR can come close to most of the lakes in this region on clarity, cleanliness, variety of fish, boating, etc....

As for more exciting, how so? Boating, raft-up parties, water skiing, fishing, SCUBA?

Old 06-18-2010, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
The area around the Great Lakes consist of tens of thousands of lakes. Hardly anyone here is saying the MN, MI or WI has the best lakes because of the Great Lakes. Yes they play a part, but most are basing their choice on the multitude of smaller lakes that are also available. Very few lakes in AR can come close to most of the lakes in this region on clarity, cleanliness, variety of fish, boating, etc....

As for more exciting, how so? Boating, raft-up parties, water skiing, fishing, SCUBA?
I understand this. My thing is what if someone wants to do that in warmer waters?

Scuba in Key West Year Round
YouTube - scuba diving in key West reef

YouTube - Water Skiing Fun with 7 Mile Watersports in the Florida Keys

We have some Lakes we can scuba in as well though the Keys and their Lagoons, and bays are more well known for it. I will admit great Lakes has sea like qualities which make them fantastic lakes. I just wouldn't do the water temperature but if one feels they are the best then so be it.

Old 06-18-2010, 10:48 PM

9,111 posts, read 13,132,097 times
^ Florida has some warm beautiful freshwater springs that include deep underwater caves that you scuba into. I believe they are common in North Central Florida (north of Orlando) but I am not sure where exactly.

Old 06-18-2010, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
^ Florida has some warm beautiful freshwater springs that include deep underwater caves that you scuba into. I believe they are common in North Central Florida (north of Orlando) but I am not sure where exactly.
Some of those freshwater springs are awesome!

Wreck diving in the Great Lakes is hard to beat anywhere. The cold freshwater isn't home to wood boring marine worms so the wrecks stay in remarkable shape. You can "stand" on the deck of a wooden ship that sunk 100+ years ago at the wheel, with the main masts still standing.

Old 06-18-2010, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Marion County, and Alachua County, Seminole County and Nothern orange County are the ones i know and hard to believe some of those are cool waters. I think Silver Springs is cold water as well being the aquifer has something to do with it. I guess Im more about Variety.

Old 06-18-2010, 11:13 PM

15,966 posts, read 20,939,817 times
Quote:
Yall are all down the russian dudes back geeesh. Its all a matter of Opinion.
It's not so much his opinions, after all if he likes NY lakes best that's fine. It's spouting his misconceptions as facts that brings posters to jump on him. He may not like MI or MN, great, that's his opinion, but to state as fact that they are flat or swampy states is just wrong, and people are going to call him out on that.
I'm also going to point out that the guy is doing his credibility no favors. If he makes totally uninformed, unbelievable comments about MN and MI why would anyone take him seriously about his comments on NY, or anything else?
You just can't trust someone who keeps insisting that MI is flat to know what he's talking about, at all.

FLABoyJ-
there is no comparison between diving in salt water and fresh, salt water wins hands down IMO. But you don't get salt water diving in FL lakes either. We were just talking about lakes in this thread weren't we?
(and diving/swimming in some of those FL springs can be just as cold as some of the northern lakes too)

Old 06-18-2010, 11:17 PM

9,111 posts, read 13,132,097 times
^ & ^^ Come to think of it, the pictures I was looking at Florida springs had people with wet suits on. Maybe some of the springs are not quite so warm after all, lol. Still they are nice to have nearby if scuba diving is your thing.

Old 06-18-2010, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
It's not so much his opinions, after all if he likes NY lakes best that's fine. It's spouting his misconceptions as facts that brings posters to jump on him. He may not like MI or MN, great, that's his opinion, but to state as fact that they are flat or swampy states is just wrong, and people are going to call him out on that.
I'm also going to point out that the guy is doing his credibility no favors. If he makes totally uninformed, unbelievable comments about MN and MI why would anyone take him seriously about his comments on NY, or anything else?
You just can't trust someone who keeps insisting that MI is flat to know what he's talking about, at all.

Well I mean I guess so.
I think the lakes are great but I really wanted to see what makes them great which one poster proved why they were whiich was my argument. I most certainly will not go to the extent he did about them

FLABoyJ-
there is no comparison between diving in salt water and fresh, salt water wins hands down IMO. But you don't get salt water diving in FL lakes either. We were just talking about lakes in this thread weren't we?
(and diving/swimming in some of those FL springs can be just as cold as some of the northern lakes too)

I did make the point if you consider the lakes seas that is different. I consider them lakes but mind you i never been so I'm simply stating my opinion about them. yes I just said that some of those springs are quite cold in my last post. That went into my variety thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City