Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2010, 10:42 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajjam View Post
I have never heard this argument when I lived in Atlanta. But now that I live here in Charlotte I hear it all the time. Honestly there is NO COMPARISON!!! Atlanta is a top world performer with cities like Houston, Chicago, San Francisco, New York etc.

Here are actual statistics as of today (June 23, 2010)

Atlanta:

Population: 5.8 million (7th largest Metro)

Home to some of the best culture in the country Atlanta Symphony Orchestra, Atlanta Ballet, Atlanta Opera, Fox Theater, High Museum of Art to name a FEW

Over 37 million visitors annually. An array of attractions including Stone Mountain, World of Coca Cola, GA Aquarium (the largest in the WOLRD), Martin Luther King Jr. Center, including festivals EVERY WEEKEND from the end of April until early September

A presence in ALL FOUR MAJOR SPORTS..... Atlanta Hawks, Thrashers, Braves and Falcons....also WNBA THe Dream, Silverbacks (Mens Soccer) Beat (Womens Soccer) and other minor league teams.

One of 8 US cities considered a Beta World City...fourth for Fortune 500 Companies after NYC, Houston and Dallas. District headquarters for the Federal Reserve. Home of Biotechnology. CDC. Home to many WORLD HEADQUARTERS.

30 colleges/institutions Including heavyweights Georgia State, Georgia Tech, Emory, Morehouse, Spelman.

World's BUSIEST airport. Home of Delta and AirTran. A COMPLETED "beltway" with at least 4 lanes all around. Up to 8 lanes in more dense areas. (IE Perimeter area). 7th busiest transit system in America.

Multiple choices between select radio styles, a MAJOR newspaper w/ a Sunday circulation of just under 1,000,000. A MAJOR MUSIC INDUSTRY. Currently 6 of the top 10 songs in America have ATLANTA production ties. A BOOMING FILM INDUSTRY third after only the obvious first two.

Some of the best nightlife, shopping (lenox sq, phipps, atlantic station, northpoint, buckhead, midtown, little 5 etc) and restaurants in the country.

Now let's take a look at NC's Jewel CIty.....no not Raleigh, but Charlotte

Charlotte, NC:

Population: 2.3 million (23 largest metro and what Atlanta was at in 1980)

No cultural identity unless you like NASCAR.

No statistics for tourism b/c Charlotte isn't a known DESTINATION but a pass thru. No notable MAJOR TOURIST attractions except NASCAR Hall of Fame and Discovery Museum.

A local presence in ONE professional team Charlotte Bobcats and a REGIONAL presence in ONE professional team Carolina Panthers. Home to other minor leagues such as Rugby, Baseball, ICE HOCKEY, and Soccer.

9th busiest airport in the WORLD. Charlotte's beltway isn't completed and for 76% only has two lanes. LYNX light rail....couldn't even compare to the lightrail run by Atlanta's airport alone.

Economy is ONLY driven by Banking and NASCAR...no WORLD HEADQUARTERS for any international company. Major hub for trucking and freight.

Notable colleges include UNC-Charlotte, Johnson & Wales, Johnson C. Smith and Davidson College.

Very limited radio selections. Charlotte Observer is comparable to UNC-Charlottes newspaper. No major movie productions or music production companies.

Nightlife does exist but will get stale after a month. Nothing exciting or innovative about any of the venues. Except for Butter...but where is the variety. Not a party town (Ie can't party ever night if you'd like).

Atlanta is a major city and it is an insult to compare Charlotte to this great city. Atlanta is WAY more advanced and light years ahead of Charlotte. Charlotte is a great city don't get me wrong, but a MAJOR DESTINATION it is not. Charlotte is better compared to NC's other regions and Richmond, VA and Nashville, TN.

Charlotte does have a lot going for it but after a year of living here you would have done everything there is to do. Atlanta is ALWAYS emerging and has something different to do every weekend of the year.
It's not people in NC doing the comparison, it's people in Charlotte.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 10:43 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,857,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
Well im through, i tried to help Charlotte.
No you didn't; your entire purpose was to trash Atlanta. We Charlotteans don't have to do that in order to stand up for our city. Maybe that's something you'll understand as you mature.

Quote:
Take note though, while you think some new yorkers maybe over the top and through the roof...we have pride in our city.
Why is that even relevant, seeing as though this discussion has absolutely NOTHING to do with New York whatsoever?

Quote:
I've seen nothing but weakness from the charlotte posters, not just on this thread but other atl/charlotte threads aswell. Stand up for yourself a little better in the future.
What the hell is this, a karate competition or something? You're taking this waaaaayyyyy too seriously dude. And I'm sorry that you mistake objectivity and realism for "weakness."

Quote:
If your not going up against chi,nyc or la than every city is fair game thats the mentality your supposed to go in with.
That's the stupidest thing I ever heard before in my life. I don't even know how to respond to such nonsense.

Quote:
But oh well im not going to defend any city past a couple post besides nyc anyway so im out. Good luck getting nailed by a SMEDIUM sized city
Charlotte is doing quite well without your "luck" or your "help." Do us all a favor and stay in the NY threads, ok? Your rabid boosterism isn't helping AT ALL here.

Old 08-18-2010, 10:51 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,088,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
No you didn't; your entire purpose was to trash Atlanta. We Charlotteans don't have to do that in order to stand up for our city. Maybe that's something you'll understand as you mature.

Why is that even relevant, seeing as though this discussion has absolutely NOTHING to do with New York whatsoever?

What the hell is this, a karate competition or something? You're taking this waaaaayyyyy too seriously dude. And I'm sorry that you mistake objectivity and realism for "weakness."

That's the stupidest thing I ever heard before in my life. I don't even know how to respond to such nonsense.

Charlotte is doing quite well without your "luck" or your "help." Do us all a favor and stay in the NY threads, ok? Your rabid boosterism isn't helping AT ALL here.
Aight man u dont get it. Maybe charlotte does need THIRTY years to catch up to Atlanta. Atl s..ts on charlotte every time on this site and charlotte posters are to dumb to see it and deserve it. Ya dont have pride in ya city. Charlotte does need fourty years just to catch up

Old 08-18-2010, 11:00 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,857,597 times
Quote:
Aight man u dont get it. Maybe charlotte does need THIRTY years to catch up to Atlanta. Atl s..ts on charlotte every time on this site and charlotte posters are to dumb to see it and deserve it. Ya dont have pride in ya city. Charlotte does need fourty years just to catch up
OK dude, whatever. We defend our city when necessary and have done so many times throughout this thread, but I suppose you only see what you want to see since your only objective is to take shots at Atlanta whenever you can.

Old 08-18-2010, 11:07 PM

123 posts, read 157,506 times
[quote=K.O.N.Y;15534113]Well im through, i tried to help Charlotte. Take note though, while you think some new yorkers maybe over the top and through the roof...we have pride in our city. I've seen nothing but weakness from the charlotte posters, not just on this thread but other atl/charlotte threads aswell. Stand up for yourself a little better in the future. If your not going up against chi,nyc or la than every city is fair game thats the mentality your supposed to go in with.

But oh well im not going to defend any city past a couple post besides nyc anyway so im out. Good luck getting nailed by a SMEDIUM sized city[/quote

LOL go one K.O.N.Y its 1 am, Go on and get you a good nights rest in your living room/bedroom

Old 08-18-2010, 11:17 PM

123 posts, read 157,506 times
Quote:
Are u a stand up comedian? Those three city's are leagues,oceans and dimensions better than the ATL lol. Atlanta is a medium city that tries too hard to be a major city(los angelos of the east NYC of the south lol). Atlanta is big in the south and the south only. Not a global player like those three. Dont make me laugh.

There are only three hardbody cities in this country and atl aint one of them

LOl your the comedian... Go to bed your attitude is starting to stink on here and your remarks are outdated boring late and tired and your starting to show your real age..

Old 08-19-2010, 12:03 AM

3,717 posts, read 8,180,281 times
What was the point of this thread?

Old 08-19-2010, 12:06 AM

23,447 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clean_polo View Post
What was the point of this thread?
It started with the rather false premise that Charlotteans are comparing their city to Atlanta, which was news to me.

Old 08-19-2010, 12:07 AM

331 posts, read 903,573 times
Charlotte is like a baby ATL

Old 08-19-2010, 12:10 AM

3,717 posts, read 8,180,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
It started with the rather false premise that Charlotteans are comparing their city to Atlanta, which was news to me.
It turned into an all out war, like most of these threads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City