Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2010, 01:24 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,794,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
From what i see most regret moving there.

And charlotte could easily see atlanta if it goes through a building boom for the next 15 years or so. Just like 10 years ago people didnt know s..t about a Atlanta. The A is not that serious to where it would take other city's decades upon decades to catch up too
I never said it "was that serious".But you obviously know little about Charlotte or Atlanta because the two are quite different.What city do you know that has gained 3million people in its metro in 15-20 years?It has nothing to do with a "simple building boom"Atlanta has added more people to its core than any other major city except Dallas since 2000.

If most regret moving here then NYC would have more people migrating in,than out.At least I know that's not true for many blacks.
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/03/ny.../03blacks.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2010, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Aight whatever. The only reason why i chimed in is because atlanta was completely downing charlotte. The only cities that can completely belittle city's in the United States is Los Angelos,Chicago and New York. Everything else other than those three are fair game. The A---- is a medium sized city and can be over tooken period.
Still mad because littlle Atlanta took over your precious hip hop scene.lol.People in France know the ATL and T.I.My tenant from Italy(Naples)is an exchange student at Georgia Tech.He noticed places that he saw in the Welcome to Atlanta video.So little or not, the ATL IS HERE TO STAY.So stop hating,its so un-becoming of a gentlemen to show you sweatin !

Old 08-19-2010, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Well im through, i tried to help Charlotte. Take note though, while you think some new yorkers maybe over the top and through the roof...we have pride in our city. I've seen nothing but weakness from the charlotte posters, not just on this thread but other atl/charlotte threads aswell. Stand up for yourself a little better in the future. If your not going up against chi,nyc or la than every city is fair game thats the mentality your supposed to go in with.

But oh well im not going to defend any city past a couple post besides nyc anyway so im out. Good luck getting nailed by a SMEDIUM sized city
The fact that YOU think NYC is the center of the universe is a DELUSIONAL falacy not worth much debate by reasonable well travelled people.You suffer from a NYC complex much like Londoner,Romans,and Parisians suffer.You think that: "if it ain't here then,it ain't worth having".All the while cities collectively are chipping away at the reasons NYC has been so desirable in the past but lesser every day.

Truth is,YOU have noticed it too.Everywhere you go you hear "Atlanta,Atlanta Atlanta"!It drives YOU crazy!!!So YOU lash out because you really have nothing better to say other than ["you can't do this" or "that" in Atlanta.All the while NYC is having to share prominence with other cities that have ambition too.

Its ok.We still look up to NYC.Its just that now we look more in the mirror because we like what we see in ourselves.Hey,THANKS goes to you too for noticing!See you soon!!You think you could bring me a bagel when you come?
ONE MORE TIME!!!

YouTube - Jermaine Dupri;Ludacris - Welcome To Atlanta

Old 08-19-2010, 04:28 AM

3,390 posts, read 4,950,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajjam View Post
I have never heard this argument when I lived in Atlanta. But now that I live here in Charlotte I hear it all the time. Honestly there is NO COMPARISON!!! Atlanta is a top world performer with cities like Houston, Chicago, San Francisco, New York etc.

Here are actual statistics as of today (June 23, 2010)

Atlanta:

Population: 5.8 million (7th largest Metro)

Home to some of the best culture in the country Atlanta Symphony Orchestra, Atlanta Ballet, Atlanta Opera, Fox Theater, High Museum of Art to name a FEW

Over 37 million visitors annually. An array of attractions including Stone Mountain, World of Coca Cola, GA Aquarium (the largest in the WOLRD), Martin Luther King Jr. Center, including festivals EVERY WEEKEND from the end of April until early September

A presence in ALL FOUR MAJOR SPORTS..... Atlanta Hawks, Thrashers, Braves and Falcons....also WNBA THe Dream, Silverbacks (Mens Soccer) Beat (Womens Soccer) and other minor league teams.

One of 8 US cities considered a Beta World City...fourth for Fortune 500 Companies after NYC, Houston and Dallas. District headquarters for the Federal Reserve. Home of Biotechnology. CDC. Home to many WORLD HEADQUARTERS.

30 colleges/institutions Including heavyweights Georgia State, Georgia Tech, Emory, Morehouse, Spelman.

World's BUSIEST airport. Home of Delta and AirTran. A COMPLETED "beltway" with at least 4 lanes all around. Up to 8 lanes in more dense areas. (IE Perimeter area). 7th busiest transit system in America.

Multiple choices between select radio styles, a MAJOR newspaper w/ a Sunday circulation of just under 1,000,000. A MAJOR MUSIC INDUSTRY. Currently 6 of the top 10 songs in America have ATLANTA production ties. A BOOMING FILM INDUSTRY third after only the obvious first two.

Some of the best nightlife, shopping (lenox sq, phipps, atlantic station, northpoint, buckhead, midtown, little 5 etc) and restaurants in the country.

Now let's take a look at NC's Jewel CIty.....no not Raleigh, but Charlotte

Charlotte, NC:

Population: 2.3 million (23 largest metro and what Atlanta was at in 1980)

No cultural identity unless you like NASCAR.

No statistics for tourism b/c Charlotte isn't a known DESTINATION but a pass thru. No notable MAJOR TOURIST attractions except NASCAR Hall of Fame and Discovery Museum.

A local presence in ONE professional team Charlotte Bobcats and a REGIONAL presence in ONE professional team Carolina Panthers. Home to other minor leagues such as Rugby, Baseball, ICE HOCKEY, and Soccer.

9th busiest airport in the WORLD. Charlotte's beltway isn't completed and for 76% only has two lanes. LYNX light rail....couldn't even compare to the lightrail run by Atlanta's airport alone.

Economy is ONLY driven by Banking and NASCAR...no WORLD HEADQUARTERS for any international company. Major hub for trucking and freight.

Notable colleges include UNC-Charlotte, Johnson & Wales, Johnson C. Smith and Davidson College.

Very limited radio selections. Charlotte Observer is comparable to UNC-Charlottes newspaper. No major movie productions or music production companies.

Nightlife does exist but will get stale after a month. Nothing exciting or innovative about any of the venues. Except for Butter...but where is the variety. Not a party town (Ie can't party ever night if you'd like).

Atlanta is a major city and it is an insult to compare Charlotte to this great city. Atlanta is WAY more advanced and light years ahead of Charlotte. Charlotte is a great city don't get me wrong, but a MAJOR DESTINATION it is not. Charlotte is better compared to NC's other regions and Richmond, VA and Nashville, TN.

Charlotte does have a lot going for it but after a year of living here you would have done everything there is to do. Atlanta is ALWAYS emerging and has something different to do every weekend of the year.
Sounds to me like YOU are obsessed with Charlotte.

Old 08-19-2010, 04:30 AM

3,390 posts, read 4,950,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
The fact that YOU think NYC is the center of the universe is a DELUSIONAL falacy not worth much debate by reasonable well travelled people.You suffer from a NYC complex much like Londoner,Romans,and Parisians suffer.You think that: "if it ain't here then,it ain't worth having".All the while cities collectively are chipping away at the reasons NYC has been so desirable in the past but lesser every day.

Truth is,YOU have noticed it too.Everywhere you go you hear "Atlanta,Atlanta Atlanta"!It drives YOU crazy!!!So YOU lash out because you really have nothing better to say other than ["you can't do this" or "that" in Atlanta.All the while NYC is having to share prominence with other cities that have ambition too.

Its ok.We still look up to NYC.Its just that now we look more in the mirror because we like what we see in ourselves.Hey,THANKS goes to you too for noticing!See you soon!!You think you could bring me a bagel when you come?
ONE MORE TIME!!!

Is this video supposed to be a source of pride, or SHAME? I'd file that one away under just more cRAP music and not be strutting around so proud because you got some "gangsta" in your city. I don't need to watch it, the still from the video says enough. They look like hoodlums to me.

Old 08-19-2010, 05:03 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,101,696 times
Quote:
Aight whatever. The only reason why i chimed in is because atlanta was completely downing charlotte. The only cities that can completely belittle city's in the United States is Los Angelos,Chicago and New York. Everything else other than those three are fair game. The A---- is a medium sized city and can be over tooken period.
Yup the US has 2 tires and everything else other than those three are fair game. Tampa is going to pass San Fran. Las Vegas is going to pass Philly. Austin is going to pass Seattle in 10 years all they need is a boom it's that easy and simple.

Dude New York, LA and Chicago are are on their own tire but to say Charlotte is on Atlanta tire is just silly. It's like saying Augusta is on Charlotte tire.

Quote:
PLZ atlanta loves to mention the olympics every chance it gets. Atlanta is still a MEDIUM sized city and there are plenty of better city's within the US. Atlanta is a big suburb with a downtown that has like ten people walking through it. I've been there before, lets not make it more than what it is. Atlanta only impresses people from orangeburg south carolina or macon georgia other than that.........
Because you said “Ten years ago no one knew s..t about Atlanta” when Atlanta won the bid for the Centennial Olympics 20 years. Now you abandon that comment and now saying 'PLZ atlanta loves to mention the olympics every chance it gets". I brought it up because it was 20 years LMAO. Plenty of better cities are subjective. Ten people walk around Downtown Atlanta LMAO mean while DT Atlanta population is over 30,000, daytime population over 100,000. And correction you mint to say a suburb with a Downtown, midtown and uptown CBDs, of course this excluding the perimeter center and Cumberland CBD. If your going to bash on Atlanta be correct atleast thank you very much. But it's funny your hating and your trying so hard that your comment don't even make sense. But your bashing Atlanta calling it medium size when Atlanta's Metro is 5,620,829, 7th. Atlanta urban area is 4,171,166 the 9th most populated in the county. So in order for Atlanta to be SMEDIUM sized every place after Atlanta has to be tiny by default. But go ahead and continue your rant.

Old 08-19-2010, 05:24 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,101,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzpost View Post
Is this video supposed to be a source of pride, or SHAME? I'd file that one away under just more cRAP music and not be strutting around so proud because you got some "gangsta" in your city. I don't need to watch it, the still from the video says enough. They look like hoodlums to me.
ummm That was the Brat and Usher in the still from that video who you said look hoodums. Good job ) I can post some stuff about hiphop that will make you want to slap your English teacher for teaching you about Emily Dickinson. But I'm going to just leave it alone and lets you exploit what you don't know. Because at the end of the day you don’t even have the talent to even talk down.

Old 08-19-2010, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzpost View Post
So in the entire song that you cared not listen to.How did you come to the conclusion that they are "strutting" around like "gangsters"?.You should file it away under being "ignorant" and realize that everyone does not act like Beave Cleaver or listen to music that sounds like Lawrence Welk.

If you care not listen or enjoy it fine.Why do you feel a need to insult people becasue YOU feel they dress like gangsters?I suppose you are the "moral majority".If you have a need to try to "fix stupid" then start at home first.

I thought these were a gangsters:

http://goingconcern.com/2009/09/18/john20gotti.jpg (broken link)

Perhaps these would be more suitable for your taste.

Old 08-19-2010, 10:31 AM

123 posts, read 157,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clean_polo View Post
It turned into an all out war, like most of these threads.

Our Fellow NYer K.O.N.Y stepped in. The thread was fine until then

Old 08-19-2010, 10:49 AM

123 posts, read 157,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post

ONE MORE TIME!!!

Now You said that!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City