Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2010, 04:38 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,865,184 times

Advertisements

Very interesting long-term perspective there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
I will tell you all here that the people in Atlanta don't sit and worry about Charlotte or any other city.
The regular joes? No. City leaders? They are definitely paying attention to what's going on here in Charlotte, and in a good way. In terms of planning and regional cooperation, Charlotte has it all over Atlanta primarily because there's a much better working relationship between NC and its larger metro areas than there is between GA and Atlanta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2010, 02:52 PM

3,874 posts, read 4,696,375 times
Your snark aside Akhenaton06, I didn't realize that I need to confine my references here to speak to only what "city leaders" are concerned about & thinking as regards what's going on in other cities & states in terms of business development & planning. The back and forth postings here to which I was responding basically sound as if they come from ordinary joes.
It is no secret that the adversial relationships between Atlanta & it's suburbs, and that between metro Atlanta & the rest of the state exists. That is nothing new, however troubling it may be. It has been an ongoing dynamic for decades & decades.
Despite those uneasy relationships, metro Atlanta has powered the state of Georgia forward enough that it easily zoomed past North Carolina in population & growth during the 1990's. That faster level of growth continued during the most recent decade as well, according to census bureau estimates. And that's despite the long-term situation of North Carolina supposedly having it all over Georgia in the level of cooperation needed for effective growth & development.

Old 08-31-2010, 07:49 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,750,974 times
Quote:
Your snark aside Akhenaton06, I didn't realize that I need to confine my references here to speak to only what "city leaders" are concerned about & thinking as regards what's going on in other cities & states in terms of business development & planning. The back and forth postings here to which I was responding basically sound as if they come from ordinary joes.
It is no secret that the adversial relationships between Atlanta & it's suburbs, and that between metro Atlanta & the rest of the state exists. That is nothing new, however troubling it may be. It has been an ongoing dynamic for decades & decades.
Despite those uneasy relationships, metro Atlanta has powered the state of Georgia forward enough that it easily zoomed past North Carolina in population & growth during the 1990's. That faster level of growth continued during the most recent decade as well, according to census bureau estimates. And that's despite the long-term situation of North Carolina supposedly having it all over Georgia in the level of cooperation needed for effective growth & development.
Since 2007 North Carolina has grown faster and added more people than Georgia. And since 2000, NC has achevied a higher net migration number. Since that time North Carolina has also caught up with Georgia and both states now have an equal number of Fortune 500 Companies. If you include the additional one in York County, SC in Charlotte's metro, NC has actually passed GA in that regard. You GA folks might want to check your facts, and check your rear view mirror...

NC added more people in '09 - Link 1: Newsroom: Population: Census Bureau: Texas Gains the Most in Population
NC added more people in '08 - Link 2: Newsroom: Population: Utah is Fastest-Growing State
Fortune 500 List by State - Link 3: Fortune 500 2010: States: California Companies - FORTUNE on CNNMoney.com

Old 08-31-2010, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Damn dude, who spit in your Cheerios? I don't know where this attitude is coming from, but you need to drop it really fast because I was in no way maligning Atlanta whatsoever; hell, I'm in the Cumberland area as I'm typing this after having scoped out apartments in the northwestern portion of the metro area to prepare for my upcoming move to metro Atlanta. Not only that, but I have stood up for and defended Atlanta many a time on this forum, as several Atlanta forumers here can attest. So how about we have a little attitude adjustment on your part.

Secondly, I don't dispute any of those facts you just posted, but neither does that negate any of what I said either. Acknowledging what other metros/states have done right doesn't take ANYTHING away from Atlanta, and the way you're snapping back at someone from what you're attempting to portray as an inferior metro/state (at least for the time being) certainly suggests that Charlotte and the state of NC have obviously reached a point where it's not just the bigger brother who's the teacher and the little brother who's the student in every area. I mentioned what city leaders in Atlanta are doing to present another side of the story, not to suggest that you need to "confine" your anecdotes to those in which city leaders, whom you probably do not know personally anyway, are involved.

NC has an advantage in having three large metropolitan areas all over 1 million in population with a smattering of smaller cities that have different economic strengths, so if one takes a licking, the others can pick up the slack and keep the state moving forward. Georgia doesn't have that advantage because as goes Atlanta, so goes the state of Georgia. While Atlanta and Charlotte have both suffered greatly in this current recession, NC has Raleigh-Durham (absolutely one of the fastest-growing metros in the country with one of the fastest-growing economies, and has been for a while), the Triad, Wilmington, Asheville, etc. to help keep it afloat while its largest city and metro area recovers. Georgia's going to be just fine, but it's simply a fact that it doesn't have this advantage. It's still going to take decades, if ever, for any NC city to reach Atlanta's status, but as a state, NC's set-up, along with the amicable relationship the state has with its cities, is simply more advantageous in the long run. And that's not being a booster; that's being objective.

Old 08-31-2010, 11:19 PM

1,666 posts, read 2,840,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Damn dude, who spit in your Cheerios? I don't know where this attitude is coming from, but you need to drop it really fast because I was in no way maligning Atlanta whatsoever; hell, I'm in the Cumberland area as I'm typing this after having scoped out apartments in the northwestern portion of the metro area to prepare for my upcoming move to metro Atlanta. Not only that, but I have stood up for and defended Atlanta many a time on this forum, as several Atlanta forumers here can attest. So how about we have a little attitude adjustment on your part.

Secondly, I don't dispute any of those facts you just posted, but neither does that negate any of what I said either. Acknowledging what other metros/states have done right doesn't take ANYTHING away from Atlanta, and the way you're snapping back at someone from what you're attempting to portray as an inferior metro/state (at least for the time being) certainly suggests that Charlotte and the state of NC have obviously reached a point where it's not just the bigger brother who's the teacher and the little brother who's the student in every area. I mentioned what city leaders in Atlanta are doing to present another side of the story, not to suggest that you need to "confine" your anecdotes to those in which city leaders, whom you probably do not know personally anyway, are involved.

NC has an advantage in having three large metropolitan areas all over 1 million in population with a smattering of smaller cities that have different economic strengths, so if one takes a licking, the others can pick up the slack and keep the state moving forward. Georgia doesn't have that advantage because as goes Atlanta, so goes the state of Georgia. While Atlanta and Charlotte have both suffered greatly in this current recession, NC has Raleigh-Durham (absolutely one of the fastest-growing metros in the country with one of the fastest-growing economies, and has been for a while), the Triad, Wilmington, Asheville, etc. to help keep it afloat while its largest city and metro area recovers. Georgia's going to be just fine, but it's simply a fact that it doesn't have this advantage. It's still going to take decades, if ever, for any NC city to reach Atlanta's status, but as a state, NC's set-up, along with the amicable relationship the state has with its cities, is simply more advantageous in the long run. And that's not being a booster; that's being objective.

You speak the Truth... Atlanta is Always going to be the Driving force of the State. There are more people in the metro of Atlanta than there is The whole state of Alabama . I to beleive NC is in a better shape for the long run.

Old 09-01-2010, 02:46 AM

725 posts, read 1,510,651 times
Quote:

dang... true

Old 09-02-2010, 07:25 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,696,375 times
Is this thread closed? I cannot get any of my new posts to take?

Old 09-02-2010, 11:52 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,304,031 times
Quote:

As always Akhenaton, you give some very interesting insight. NC having several metros, to some degree not as competitive with each other, is advantageous and allows each metro to change and grow when the one is adjusting to current hardships.

GA has a huge advantage is having Atlanta. Atlanta is freakin awesome and will definitely recover. There is not one single city in NC that can touch Atlanta.

I also want to add that it is advantageous for both Charlotte and Atlanta to learn from each other and grow together. I am firm believer in the megaregion theory and believe for the sake of Atlanta and Charlotte to remain competitve nationally and internationally a cohesive strategy is needed for both to gain strength and minimize weaknesses.

Old 09-02-2010, 12:10 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,507 posts, read 15,098,266 times
I thought NC had 3 CSA's over 1 million and not MSA's. I do agree how that's a plus for NC. But Atlanta is still much bigger than Charlotte and Raleigh combined. Augusta, Savannah, Macon, Columbus, are around the same as Greensboro, Winston-Salem, Wilmington, and Asheville. While NC added 50k more than GA since 2007. GA gained 311k more than NC from 2000-2009...

2000-2009 population gains
http://www.census.gov/popest/states/tables/NST-EST2009-01.xls (broken link)

GA
2000- 8,186,453
2009- 9,829,211

NC
2000- 8,049,313
2009- 9,380,884

GA- 1,642,758
NC- 1,331,571

Old 09-02-2010, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
I thought NC had 3 CSA's over 1 million and not MSA's. I do agree how that's a plus for NC.
I did say "metropolitan areas" and not CSAs because I wasn't explicitly referring to MSAs since the Census broke the Triad and Triangle up. But that doesn't stop the fact that they both still function as larger regions.

Quote:
Augusta, Savannah, Macon, Columbus, are around the same as Greensboro, Winston-Salem, Wilmington, and Asheville.
Augusta, Greensboro, Durham, and Winston-Salem are more or less in the same tier. Savannah, Macon, Columbus, Wilmington, Asheville, and Fayetteville are in a sub-tier below those IMO. NC has an advantage as far as those cities go, while clearly no city in NC can touch Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City