Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2010, 04:54 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,751,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Augusta, Greensboro, Durham, and Winston-Salem are more or less in the same tier. Savannah, Macon, Columbus, Wilmington, Asheville, and Fayetteville are in a sub-tier below those IMO. NC has an advantage as far as those cities go, while clearly no city in NC can touch Atlanta.
We've had this debate before, but I just really don't see putting Augusta in the same tier as Greensboro, Winston-Salem and Durham.

- The 3 NC metros are each part of larger CSA's in excess of 1.0 million people
- The 3 NC metros each are home to international airports; does Augusta even have international service?
- Winston-Salem and Greensboro are both home to Fortune 500 companies
- Durham is home to Research Trinagle Park. Augusta has nothing remotely compareable from a corporate stand point.
- Winston-Salem and Durham are home to prestigeous internationally known universities, Duke and Wake Forest, again nothing remotely the same in Augusta
- The retail offerings found in Durham are more in line with a city like Charlotte; stores like Nordstrom, Cheesecake Factory, Cole Haan
- Greensboro gets major concerts and shows the size of which would never come to Augusta; people like Drake and Lady Gaga
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2010, 05:36 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,507 posts, read 15,100,025 times
Does Augusta have the largest Microsoft IT Academy in the world?
Is Augusta the U.S Army signal center?
Does Augusta have a very large Medical District(Medical College of GA apart of it)?
Is Augusta the electric car capital of america?

Lil Wayne, Usher, Ludacris, Carrie Underwood, R. Kelly, Rick Ross, Cedric the Entertainer, Steve Harvey, etc have came to Augusta.

Last edited by nortonguy; 09-02-2010 at 05:46 PM..

Old 09-02-2010, 05:54 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,305,658 times
What does Augusta have to do with the comparison of Charlotte and Atlanta? I know I ain't a mod, but come on, this happens all the time. Save that for the GA vs NC thread.

Old 09-02-2010, 06:08 PM

614 posts, read 1,764,509 times
Ill stay on topic here and say that People from North Carolina always try to compare themselves to a higher level city, aka Atlanta because they are jealous. They want to try and compare them to see if they are up to par with Atlanta but they are not. But they keep trying. Jmo

Old 09-02-2010, 06:35 PM

1,666 posts, read 2,840,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckzona View Post
Ill stay on topic here and say that People from North Carolina always try to compare themselves to a higher level city, aka Atlanta because they are jealous. They want to try and compare them to see if they are up to par with Atlanta but they are not. But they keep trying. Jmo
Your going to get Attacked..

People sometimes say we are catching up to Atlanta because we have a Ritz Carlton, or we are catching up to Atlanta because we can ride a train to sporting facilities. I have heard these things before..

Old 09-02-2010, 06:43 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,868,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
We've had this debate before, but I just really don't see putting Augusta in the same tier as Greensboro, Winston-Salem and Durham.

- The 3 NC metros are each part of larger CSA's in excess of 1.0 million people
- The 3 NC metros each are home to international airports; does Augusta even have international service?
- Winston-Salem and Greensboro are both home to Fortune 500 companies
- Durham is home to Research Trinagle Park. Augusta has nothing remotely compareable from a corporate stand point.
- Winston-Salem and Durham are home to prestigeous internationally known universities, Duke and Wake Forest, again nothing remotely the same in Augusta
- The retail offerings found in Durham are more in line with a city like Charlotte; stores like Nordstrom, Cheesecake Factory, Cole Haan
- Greensboro gets major concerts and shows the size of which would never come to Augusta; people like Drake and Lady Gaga
Well, I did cover myself by saying "more or less," LOL. I'm certainly aware of those differences, but I don't think those differences are drastic enough to put them in different tiers. Essentially, Augusta would be towards the bottom of the tier, and the NC cities would be higher.

Quote:
It's only natural that a smaller city uses a relatively close larger city as a benchmark of progress; happens all the time. It's not jealously per se, but it's something of a way to measure how "big time" or "major league" we're getting as a city.

Old 09-02-2010, 07:02 PM

2,399 posts, read 4,216,762 times
As someone from the Atlanta area, I'm going to point out that Charlotte is a fine city. It's a great place, just like much of the northern part of metro Atlanta.

Sure, Charlotte doesn't have as much, but does that really matter? The Charlotte area has a great quality of life. By the way, NASCAR is a cultural element. They have their own history. The culture is the same as Atlanta. They're southerners, we're southerners, so knock it off.

If anything, people are comparing Charlotte to Atlanta in terms of growth trends, or the historic development of Atlanta a few decades back.

I enjoy the Charlotte area.

Lake Norman is beautiful. The Cookout makes a great thick milk"shake". Uptown looks great and the skyline is attractive. Matthews and Pineville are great suburbs. The size makes for a more relaxed lifestyle, though it is big enough to have pro-sports and many ammenities.

Old 09-02-2010, 07:20 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,305,658 times
Quote:
Not exactly jealous, more of a comparison to check our progress. The fince citizens of Charlotte have no desire to be like Atlanta. Perhaps some transplants may wis this, and you do have some folks who wish Charlotte had more bigger city ammenities. But once they accept Charlotte for what it is, they do just fine. But for a city/metro its size Charlotte does more than well, even with the high unemployment.

Old 09-02-2010, 07:30 PM

614 posts, read 1,764,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
It's only natural that a smaller city uses a relatively close larger city as a benchmark of progress; happens all the time. It's not jealously per se, but it's something of a way to measure how "big time" or "major league" we're getting as a city.
Thats what i was trying to get at. Very good point.

Old 09-02-2010, 07:49 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,507 posts, read 15,100,025 times
I think Charlotte will continue to thrive in the future. Really, Charlotte should be more worried about Raleigh than Atlanta... But to the poster who said MCG can't compete against Wake Forest... For 2008 WF is #42 and MCG is #75 in NIH funding, not a huge diffrence. MCG also has a good dental school too. MCG is ranked 63rd out of 129 in NIDCR grants for 2009. I also disagree about the retail, offerings, etc. There's a 3D IMAX theatre, etc in Augusta. Fortune 500 companies are nice, Columbus GA has two of them. Nothing in Greensboro, Winston Salem, or Durham can compete against Plant Vogtle, SRS, & Fort Gordon in terms of new infrastructure/construction in the future..
NIH funding rankings of Medical Schools 2008 - College Confidential

NIDCR Grants to U.S. Academic Institutions, FY 2009

Last edited by nortonguy; 09-02-2010 at 08:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City