Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2011, 11:31 AM

3 posts, read 3,321 times

Advertisements

Hello to everyone on this board! I'm new to this forum & I don't think people in Charlotte are concerned with being compared to Atlanta. Although, I would like to know why Atlanta's metro area consists of 28 counties (I think)? If some of those counties that are two or three counties away from Fulton county were excluded, the population of Charlotte's metro area would be more comparable to Atlanta. Could someone provide some insight on this question?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2011, 01:46 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,365,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by et06027577 View Post
Hello to everyone on this board! I'm new to this forum & I don't think people in Charlotte are concerned with being compared to Atlanta. Although, I would like to know why Atlanta's metro area consists of 28 counties (I think)? If some of those counties that are two or three counties away from Fulton county were excluded, the population of Charlotte's metro area would be more comparable to Atlanta. Could someone provide some insight on this question?
Because the size of Counties in Georgia is very small compared to most Counties in North Carlolina. As an example, DeKalb County (due East of Atlanta) contains 691,00 people in only 270.91 square miles.

Old 05-30-2011, 02:02 PM

1,037 posts, read 2,048,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Because the size of Counties in Georgia is very small compared to most Counties in North Carlolina. As an example, DeKalb County (due East of Atlanta) contains 691,00 people in only 270.91 square miles.
Thats a good explanation to a very common misnomer. A misleading fact about charlotte is that some of its core counties are counted in its csa but for whatever reason are not included in its msa...

Old 05-30-2011, 09:53 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,306,402 times
Quote:
In addition to what Johnatl said, you also have to look at how MSAs are defined. Its essentially about commuting patterns and employment centers. More people commute to Atlanta for work than people commute to Charlotte for work. However, the employment centers in Charlotte are growing due to expansion of the energy industry and the NCRC in Kannapolis.

Old 05-30-2011, 10:01 PM

3 posts, read 3,321 times
My wife & I have been considering a trip to Atlanta because of all the buzz we hear about it. We made a stop in Atlanta on our way to Louisiana from Concord (Charlotte suburb) to briefly checkout the city. I heard so much about how downtown ATL is always lively and busy and I was very diappointed in what we saw. It was a Thursday night around 11:30 pm and it looked like a ghost town. I ride to uptown Charlotte on a night like that and the bars and clubs are open, and people are moving around. Hopefully this summer we will make the trip down to the ATL and see whats poppin. Any suggestions for places to check out, adult scene & family oriented.

Old 05-30-2011, 11:15 PM

2,330 posts, read 4,402,360 times
To be honest Charlotte and Atlanta can't hold a candle stick to Miami-Fort Lauderdale in terms of Multi-Culture, Night Life, and Urbanism........

Old 05-31-2011, 05:32 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,869,796 times
Quote:
My wife & I have been considering a trip to Atlanta because of all the buzz we hear about it. We made a stop in Atlanta on our way to Louisiana from Concord (Charlotte suburb) to briefly checkout the city. I heard so much about how downtown ATL is always lively and busy and I was very diappointed in what we saw. It was a Thursday night around 11:30 pm and it looked like a ghost town. I ride to uptown Charlotte on a night like that and the bars and clubs are open, and people are moving around. Hopefully this summer we will make the trip down to the ATL and see whats poppin. Any suggestions for places to check out, adult scene & family oriented.
Downtown Atlanta really isn't an urban nightlife destination like uptown Charlotte is. In Atlanta, you'd need to check out areas like Midtown, Little Five Points, Virginia-Highland, etc.

Old 05-31-2011, 07:00 AM

1,037 posts, read 2,048,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
To be honest Charlotte and Atlanta can't hold a candle stick to Miami-Fort Lauderdale in terms of Multi-Culture, Night Life, and Urbanism........
Thank you for noting that however the thread is about charlotte amd atlanta

Old 05-31-2011, 08:41 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,103,982 times
Quote:
Well johnatl pointed out Georgia's county sizes difference to why there’s 28 county, I mean DFW is a little bigger in sq mi but half the counties.

However Metro Atlanta is still over 4,000 sq mi larger then Charlotte. Charlotte MSA is around 3,000 sq mi but in half that area Atlanta has twice the pop of charlotte’s entire metro area. If Atlanta was the same size as charlotte MSA, Atlanta will be 4 million and something. So these further out counties surround a much more populated area then Charlotte MSA. A bigger planet usually have more moons, Atlanta has a bigger urban area so it sprawl and pulls a larger commuter belt. Both cities are sunbelt type sprawl metros, so this a direct scale thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by qc dreamin View Post
Thats a good explanation to a very common misnomer. A misleading fact about charlotte is that some of its core counties are counted in its csa but for whatever reason are not included in its msa...
I do believe when Charlotte become bigger some maybe all of it’s current CSA will become it’s MSA. There’s 2 million in that CSA area now, so about time this happen Charlotte would up end with at least 3 million MSA, because the area will grow denser. Remember outside of Atlanta 5 core counties is a ring of counties in the 100,000 -250,000 range, they was not always a part Metro Atlanta.

Old 05-31-2011, 08:57 AM

2,744 posts, read 6,111,562 times
I wouldn't put Charlotte in the same league as Atlanta, however I would say they are both major business centers of the South. Atanta's importance goes far beyond the south. Charlotte will get there eventually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City