Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2010, 01:09 PM

3,874 posts, read 4,696,375 times

Advertisements

Akhenaton06
You have made your one point & I apologize.
Perhaps you should also have today given me the benefit of the doubt that I did indeed find your response that day to be condescending or sarcastic, especially since I have now told you that was how it came across to me. These posts are full of sarcasm & worse, unfortunately.
I still don't think that I have been the least bit ugly about Charlotte or N.C. Nor have I portrayed them as "junior" or inferior. You did not touch either of those "points" today. That still baffles me.
I thought that you would take my earlier note as an olive branch because of obvious misunderstanding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2010, 01:46 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,304,031 times
We know that Charlotte excels in banking/finance, known for NASCAR, and is working towards energy. Besides the busiest airport in the world what are ATL's strong points? Also don't cite the higher ed, that is also a given.

Old 09-03-2010, 05:17 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,865,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
We know that Charlotte excels in banking/finance, known for NASCAR, and is working towards energy. Besides the busiest airport in the world what are ATL's strong points? Also don't cite the higher ed, that is also a given.
Transportation (in general), finance, information technology, communications, and healthcare.

Old 09-04-2010, 08:34 AM

2,399 posts, read 4,216,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
No, actually you started with this quote above.
I'm a Georgian, but Greensboro and Winston-Salem are a step above of Augusta, Columbus, Macon, and Savannah, in my opinion. Yet, the Georgia cities are a step above of Wilmington and Asheville, in my opinion.

Old 09-04-2010, 08:55 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,865,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
I'm a Georgian, but Greensboro and Winston-Salem are a step above of Augusta, Columbus, Macon, and Savannah, in my opinion. Yet, the Georgia cities are a step above of Wilmington and Asheville, in my opinion.
Only Augusta would be. Wilmington and Asheville have larger MSAs and GDPs than Columbus, Macon, and Savannah. But because Savannah is growing pretty quickly, has a large and expanding port, and is such a major tourist draw, I'd put it, Wilmington, and Asheville in a sub-tier above Columbus and Macon.

Old 09-04-2010, 11:52 AM

originally posted by Stars&StripesForever"

Removed by moderator. Please do not copy/paste text from articles in the forums as this is a copyright infringement and not allowed. Post a LINK to the article you wish to reference instead.

I hope that these few paragraphs round out for you a bit as to what metro Atlanta excels at.

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 09-04-2010 at 08:07 PM..

Old 09-04-2010, 08:30 PM

Dear moderator:
I was attempting to post a "Quote" posted by another member, not post text from an outside article. There was no link to be made because there was no article.
Thank you.

Old 09-05-2010, 02:01 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,361,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
PTI has one stop international service to several countries. But to be clear, the definition of an international airport is not based on the number of flights, but rather if it has "Customs Landing Rights". PTI has that, Augusta does not, its not large enough.

PTI - Customs Landing Rights = Yes
Link: http://www.city-data.com/airports/Pi...-Carolina.html

Augusta Regional - Customs Landing Rights = No
Link: http://www.city-data.com/airports/Au...a-Georgia.html
In all fairness, you need to drop your claim of GSO having any international service. There is none. The list on the airports website is a complete joke. They just name most of the popular destinations in the world, some of which would require a double connection to reach from the Triad. I have a feeling the customs area at GSO hasn't seen the light of day in a long time.

As a matter of fact, the only flights with mainline jets are Atlanta, DC National, Philly, NY LaGuardia & Orlando-Sanford. Other than that, the handful of other destinations are all served by regional jets.

I know it's fighting a hard battle wedged between the powerhouse airports in Charlotte & Raleigh/Durham - but fair is fair. Your claim is not accurate.

Old 09-05-2010, 10:31 AM

2,742 posts, read 6,750,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
In all fairness, you need to drop your claim of GSO having any international service. There is none. The list on the airports website is a complete joke. They just name most of the popular destinations in the world, some of which would require a double connection to reach from the Triad. I have a feeling the customs area at GSO hasn't seen the light of day in a long time.

As a matter of fact, the only flights with mainline jets are Atlanta, DC National, Philly, NY LaGuardia & Orlando-Sanford. Other than that, the handful of other destinations are all served by regional jets.

I know it's fighting a hard battle wedged between the powerhouse airports in Charlotte & Raleigh/Durham - but fair is fair. Your claim is not accurate.
If you don't like the FAA's definition of an International Airport, take it up with them. PTI's airservice is, what it is. All you have to do is Google it. Their site doesn't say those flights are non-stop. It says...

"Daily One-Stop Service – International" Link: Airline Service | Piedmont Triad International Airport (GSO)

Last edited by CaseyB; 09-06-2010 at 08:03 PM.. Reason: off topic

Old 09-06-2010, 07:26 AM

12 posts, read 16,363 times
I think it has to do with Charlotte being a southern city that has a large African American population more than anything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City