Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the capital of Black America in your opinion?
NYC Area 66 4.89%
Phil 25 1.85%
DC 121 8.96%
Atlanta 807 59.78%
Memphis 21 1.56%
New ORleans 33 2.44%
Houston 29 2.15%
Seattle 14 1.04%
Chicago 35 2.59%
Detroit 84 6.22%
Other (include in your reply) 14 1.04%
There is none. 101 7.48%
Voters: 1350. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2019, 08:47 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,547,924 times

Advertisements

^^^ Nashville seemed pretty white when I was there in 2010, so idk about being "culturally mixed" in comparison to DC, ATL, or NYC. Being Black, I actually felt a little bit of an outcast in certain places I went in Nashville. But that was almost 10 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2019, 01:51 AM

2,426 posts, read 2,473,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
^^^ Nashville seemed pretty white when I was there in 2010, so idk about being "culturally mixed" in comparison to DC, ATL, or NYC. Being Black, I actually felt a little bit of an outcast in certain places I went in Nashville. But that was almost 10 years ago.
That was 10 years ago, and that's not in comparison to the above, especially NY but can make sense, especially on certain parts of town. If you were in parts of North Nashville
back then, especially around the hbcu's it would have still felt like Atlanta area as well. There are parts of metro Atlanta where you can feel outcasted, especially years ago that were highly racist and made national news press for not wanting blacks in that area but things have highly improved but imo still feels sideways racist. Nashville is no small place either and has several districts and going to areas like Antioch, Madison, and even around Nolensville Pike current day will not be what you're thinking of in most mind as Nashville. Even many current day suburbs might not be what you are thinking. My case wasn't as far as Nashville being a Black capital because I see it as more racially harmonious current day and intermingled, it may be just over 50% white, but its almost 30% black and over %10 Hispanic since last census and has the largest Kurdish population in the US. With it being popular with imagrants like it is current day and growing over 100 people a day it is very culturally mixed current day... This is all way off subject, my response was just to all the Apples and oranges comparison and Atlanta wanting to be on the same playing field with all the big dogs in the NE region which makeup or density at the very least is totally different but always wants to be elevated way above its southern peers, and if some one compares it wants to state they are not in the same league but Atlanta wants to be in the same league as NY, Chicago, LA, San Francisco, etc. that's all I'm saying. I have seen some good threads get deleted because of this.I'm not one to tip toe around the tulip but we all know what certain truths will cause. We just have to understand Atlanta ain't that unique and special current day, it has plenty of competition even in the sunbelt and nation wide truth be told. Guess it's all about breaking down fact and fiction then it's all about how people see it them selves and each person's personal experience and perception.

Old 03-11-2019, 06:30 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
There are parts of metro Atlanta where you can feel outcasted, especially years ago that were highly racist and made national news press for not wanting blacks in that area but things have highly improved but imo still feels sideways racist.
If you're talking about Forsyth County, I'd disagree. The last place I worked in metro Atlanta was Cumming and I've shopped, eaten out, and even been to court there, and never felt any racist vibes..."sideways" or otherwise. It's just entirely too diverse of a place these days.

Old 03-11-2019, 06:43 AM

2,426 posts, read 2,473,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
If you're talking about Forsyth County, I'd disagree. The last place I worked in metro Atlanta was Cumming and I've shopped, eaten out, and even been to court there, and never felt any racist vibes..."sideways" or otherwise. It's just entirely too diverse of a place these days.
If you say so, not what I got there recently. Even has been some fishy things that have taken place there recently that had been swept under the rug..I didn't say it hasn't improved because it has to its 2019 but it's still side ways. Heck its some restaurants in the city of Atlanta and other parts of the metro that don't cater to blacks but the point is it's not a one way narrative here is all I'm saying for any place.. So many different spectrums on many levels.

Old 03-11-2019, 07:51 AM

93,179 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
Not about a pet city or the point and truth be told, this has gotten off topic any way.. I know my pet city isn't in this mix, it actually feels more culturally mixed and intergrated which is a good thing. Our Great city isn't a part of every discussion either and wasn't trying to be smart but just going by what I have noticed. I don't really believe in the Black capital scenario but if I did I wouldn't include NY in this factor due to the fact NY just looks so much more diverse and culturally mixed by population than say an Atlanta in spite of NY's high black population IMO.. same is true for many other cities.. Guess it's all about what flavor u like but just as a heads up, not an argument buddy but I know how it goes..
With NYC, you have to view it by borough. So, it is more like Central/Eastern Brooklyn, SE Queens, NE/S Bronx, (parts of) Harlem/Uptown in Manhattan and even Northern/NE Staten Island.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 03-11-2019 at 08:17 AM..

Old 03-11-2019, 08:07 AM

32,084 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
DC is no Manhattan, but Logan Circle, DuPont Circle, Midcity, Gallery Place, Penn Quarter, or Georgetown are way more vibrant than Brooklyn even though Brooklyn is more than twice as dense as DC.
I'm not sure how you guys got this far off topic, but I needed to point out that this statement isn't accurate. The DC neighborhoods you listed probably don't even add up to 2.0 sq. mi. if going by accepted definitions. One could easily find a 2.0 sq. mi. section of Brooklyn that surpasses DC in vibrancy and pedestrian traffic.

Old 03-11-2019, 08:25 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,736,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I'm not sure how you guys got this far off topic, but I needed to point out that this statement isn't accurate. The DC neighborhoods you listed probably don't even add up to 2.0 sq. mi. if going by accepted definitions. One could easily find a 2.0 sq. mi. section of Brooklyn that surpasses DC in vibrancy and pedestrian traffic.
Used google maps measure distance tool. I got 3.7 sq. miles. From what streets did you take your measurement?

What area of Brooklyn would you like to compare to? I can't think of any area in Brooklyn with that level of vibrancy? Do you know how many people work in downtown DC?

Old 03-11-2019, 09:06 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,734,238 times
There is no question black america is centered in ATL. Historically maybe Detroit or something, but how can anyone argue with ATL???

Old 03-11-2019, 09:08 AM

1,554 posts, read 3,031,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ive8ight5ive View Post
I voted for New Orleans
It won´t be that way forever, unfortunately. Maybe Creole/mixed race culture´s capital, but New Orleans is rapidly gentrifying. I´m white (but from there) and it kills me, the guys I grew up with have mostly had to leave to better their lives for their families.

Old 03-11-2019, 09:24 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,547,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Por ejemplo, I was in Cobble Hill BK like 2/3 weeks ago. Cobble Hill certainly isn't more active than a Logan circle, or better yet Dupont Circle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City