Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one is the most important?
Bay Area 299 56.95%
Boston 100 19.05%
Philadelphia 102 19.43%
Confused 24 4.57%
Voters: 525. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 11:26 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,926,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pac_5 View Post
As someone slightly neutral - those aren't the most impressive pictures of the area around Philadelphia. Definitely a distant third to the images we associate with the Bay Area and New England.

Let's just call a spade a spade and admit that if you drew a sixty-mile arc around Philadelphia, nothing in that arc is particularly geographically significant or naturally beautiful.
LOL-well that's just an absurd thing to say. The Wissahickon Park/Gorge is down the street from my house and probably more naturally beautiful than most anything in the cities of Boston or SF. SF has Golden Gate park which is unique but Philly has gems too (and Boston for that matter). Fairmount Park is still the largest though.

Outside the city the Philly area seems to transition sooner to rural/tranquil scenery, especially in PA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2015, 02:26 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,210,044 times
Quote:
As someone slightly neutral - those aren't the most impressive pictures of the area around Philadelphia. Definitely a distant third to the images we associate with the Bay Area and New England.

Let's just call a spade a spade and admit that if you drew a sixty-mile arc around Philadelphia, nothing in that arc is particularly geographically significant or naturally beautiful.

I just want to know how SF is an easier place to live and more impressive than Boston AND CERTAINLY PHILADELPHIA,LOL. When the cost of living is significantly higher in SF.

Granted Philadelphia has a few more grittier areas/satellite cities but when you take the other 95% of the region into account Im not seeing how SF or Boston blows Philly away. A mile West of SF is pretty amazing area to live if you are a walrus, to the east its get brown and desolate relatively quick. Pennsylvania on the otherhand is one of the most consistently picturesque states in the USA 150 miles by 300 miles of incredible landscape. Downtown SF was modeled after downtown Philly.Places like Berkley modeled after Philadelphias Chestnut Hill and The Main Line neighborhoods. I hear alot of well we got Berkley but we had Berkleys' template 100 years before Berkley existed, places like Swarthmore,Chestnut Hill, Bryn Mawr,Wynnewood etc etc..

Stone Harbor/Avalon NJ are consistently ranked in the top 5 USA as far as most expensive median home sales.

Get over yourselves.

Old 07-27-2015, 02:53 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,210,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pac_5
Lets just say you are wrong..

Philly MSA. within 60 mile radius.

It may not be geographically significant but not sure how you can say its not naturally beautiful. That sounds like B.S. that you just made up.

Valley Forge- 12 miles from Center City Philly

Pulpit Rock-Berks County

Bucks County

Ocean City NJ

Last edited by rainrock; 07-27-2015 at 03:23 PM..

Old 07-27-2015, 03:04 PM

7 posts, read 7,863 times
Quote:

You should probably stick to being neutral because Philadelphia has a lot more geographic beauty than you realize within 60 miles.

What you're picturing in your head about New England is a good two hours away from Boston in the least (Berkshires, White Mountain, Killington, Cape Cod, etc.), did you know that?

Boston isn't exactly Portland or Seattle in terms of immediate area here, and you're really undermining the Philadelphia area. At the least, the Philadelphia and Boston metro areas are even in terms of geography. Philadelphia is not a Midwest plain by any means whatsoever, and the ocean is a mere 45 minutes away on top of it. Fairmount Park is the largest urban park in the world. The suburbs of Philadelphia are full of lush valleys and rivers, moreso than Boston because its landlocked.

Old 07-27-2015, 03:10 PM

Most people that picture New England are seeing Vermont and New Hampshire and think Boston is right in the middle.

Massachusetts, Connecticut and Rhode Island don't really compare IMO to Vermont, New Hampshire or Maine in terms of geographic beauty.

Old 07-27-2015, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
LOL-well that's just an absurd thing to say. The Wissahickon Park/Gorge is down the street from my house and probably more naturally beautiful than most anything in the cities of Boston or SF. SF has Golden Gate park which is unique but Philly has gems too (and Boston for that matter). Fairmount Park is still the largest though.

Outside the city the Philly area seems to transition sooner to rural/tranquil scenery, especially in PA.

He/she is in for a reality check.

Philadelphia transitions pretty quickly outside the city into valleys, rivers and hills. Extremely picturesque area. One of my favorites in the entire Northeast.

Old 07-27-2015, 04:40 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,708,377 times
Quote:

Based on your comments you have never been to the Philadelphia area. The Philadelphia area is beautiful. Please keep your outdated opinions to yourself. Thanks.

Old 07-27-2015, 06:06 PM

7,268 posts, read 10,587,262 times
Quote:
I suppose, as they say, then, that beauty is the in the eye of the beholder.

I greatly appreciate the grandeur of the West, but the East is far more uniformly beautiful--with constant bucolic, lush rolling hills and thick foliage that you'd never find in the vast majority of the West.

The Philadelphia region is certainly no exception, and in fact, the region greatly excels in preserving open space/farmland and goes to great lengths to prevent over-development--which gives the area a charmingly rustic feel for a major urban area. The only other major urban region I've come across that evokes a similar feel is Boston.

Last edited by Duderino; 07-27-2015 at 06:26 PM..

Old 07-27-2015, 07:03 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,133,216 times
I have to say that even though I think a sixty-mile radius around San Francisco will afford you the most varied and spectacular natural beauty available around a similar swath of any major American city, the idea that the countryside around Philadelphia is anything less than spectacular is simply ridiculous.

The first time I went to Philly, I had a shoot in Lancaster, and we flew into Philly. I was knocked out on the drive up to Lancaster. Then, we spent the weekend in Philly and the surrounding area. Really beautiful. Surprisingly so.

Old 07-27-2015, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
I have to say that even though I think a sixty-mile radius around San Francisco will afford you the most varied and spectacular natural beauty available around a similar swath of any major American city, the idea that the countryside around Philadelphia is anything less than spectacular is simply ridiculous.

The first time I went to Philly, I had a shoot in Lancaster, and we flew into Philly. I was knocked out on the drive up to Lancaster. Then, we spent the weekend in Philly and the surrounding area. Really beautiful. Surprisingly so.

We're not saying its like Oregon or Washington here, but to say there's literally nothing around it is totally false.

The Philadelphia metro area has some of the most lush and green suburbs and areas of any metro I have seen.

Its not anything like Chicago with flat prairie mostly outside, and I know that not all of the Chicago area is like that, but the Midwest is certainly flatter and less forested in comparison.

Boston and Philadelphia are both very comparable metro areas in terms of forestry, rolling hills, valleys and rivers. Very, very lush areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City