Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How big/small do the following metros feel?
ATL feels about its size 6 4.65%
ATL feels bigger 20 15.50%
ATL feels smaller 18 13.95%
DFW feels about its size 1 0.78%
DFW feels bigger 32 24.81%
DFW feels smaller 9 6.98%
Houston feels about its size 6 4.65%
Houston feels bigger 31 24.03%
Houston feels smaller 6 4.65%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 08:08 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,634,135 times

Advertisements

I think it depends if you are comparing them to other cities in the US, or other cities around the world.

On a global scale, DFW has a similar metro population to a city like Madrid - and I'd have to say, it feels much, much smaller and more subdued than Madrid does.

But by US standards, it doesn't seem dramatically larger or smaller than you'd expect.

Old 04-20-2011, 08:09 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,101,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
You might need come back home to DFW than a lot has changed over 10 years.
I’m tripping one hand I reading a poster say there nothing but sparse development in south Arlington. I’m thinking South Arlington,…… Arlington TX…… What?

Even 10 years ago that want even south right, Along 1-20 from the lake Arlington to Parks Mall is very develop and in fact it’s where Arlington originally became a boomburb. I know DFW has small field barriers in some places along freeways like Atlanta has trees but it’s not at all rural feeling, My opinion is the poster may be mistaking Grand Prairie for Arlington or something which does feel rural along I-20. Then I reading another poster saying the Parks Mall is ghetto WTF. Man it’s nearly a suburban fairy tale.

The only large part of Arlington that feel rural is the top near the land fill and the trinity flood plan, and anyone who ever lived in DFW can’t say Arlington has a ghetto feel at any part with a straight face. Wait let me try.... Arlington is-gh-gh-ghet.... ) ROFL!

Old 04-20-2011, 08:18 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
I’m tripping one hand I reading a poster say there nothing but sparse development in south Arlington. I’m thinking South Arlington,…… Arlington TX…… What?

Even 10 years ago that want even south right, Along 1-20 from the lake Arlington to Parks Mall is very develop and in fact it’s where Arlington originally became a boomburb. I know DFW has small field barriers in some places along freeways like Atlanta has trees but it’s not at all rural feeling, My opinion is the poster may be mistaking Grand Prairie for Arlington or something which does feel rural along I-20. Then I reading another poster saying the Parks Mall is ghetto WTF. Man it’s nearly a suburban fairy tale.
The last time I was in Arlington was back in 2000 and driving off interstate 20, I saw nothing but empty land looking towards the South and I saw hills. I know what I saw. If you disagree, oh well.
Quote:
That is the harshes comment I have ever heard you say about a town. I will say this about Aggtown it is the most diverse city in the Metroplex. I havent seen a mall in DFW yet more diverse than Parks mall.
I have this opinion on most suburbs built around the car and outside a nice day at a theme park and seeing the Cowboys and Rangers, there's nothing in that boring town that interests me. Just being me.

Last edited by Spade; 04-20-2011 at 08:38 PM.. Reason: Little bit of an edge this evening.

Old 04-20-2011, 08:28 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Well all metros can cherry pick angles that make them look larger.
there you go again. We are not trying to make our Chihuahua into a great Dane, someone just commented that it looks much bigger from certain points. Why all the hateration?

Old 04-20-2011, 08:33 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,845,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Social Network View Post
Well with all due respect I read the thread this one is a spin off to, and some of you Houston boosters really take reality too far and stretch them. I mean seriously some of you believe its a metro of 10 million? Really? Have any of you set foot in a 10 million + metro? Oh wait there are only 2 in USA, New York and Los Angeles, and Chicago if you want to give it the pass to join the party 10 years ahead of schedule.

Houston's big and massive, its great, and a nice city and yes it feels larger than Atlanta and Dallas for what its worth. I like it, but really? Do some of you ever travel? You're getting to the level of San Francisco, Washington DC, Atlanta, and Seattle boosters now on how much you boost and that's not a good thing.

kidphilly hasn't bashed Houston in this thread, he's just been bringing you down to reason that your metro feels like a 6 million person metro. Guess what? IT IS A 6 MILLION PERSON METRO! Accept it and move on yo!!
I guess we probably should not put an exact number on it, but all I'm really saying is that Houston feels FAR larger than just 5 million+. Atleast to me. I mean, c'mon, I don't see how anyone can drive along the freeways--especially on the west side--and not feel like the city seems to go on forever.

Kidphilly isn't the voice of anything but his own personal opinion.

Old 04-20-2011, 08:42 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,374,705 times
I-20 has continuous development (not dense by any means) from around 35W in South Fort Worth through Hwy 360 in South Arlington. Going east beyond 360 to around Hwy 67 in Duncanville, there is very sparse development and the terrain is very hilly. The lack of development makes this stretch one of my favorite drives in the Metroplex, I find it relatively scenic. Hope it stays that way for a long time.

Old 04-20-2011, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout_972 View Post
I-20 has continuous development (not dense by any means) from around 35W in South Fort Worth through Hwy 360 in South Arlington. Going east beyond 360 to around Hwy 67 in Duncanville, there is very sparse development and the terrain is very hilly. The lack of development makes this stretch one of my favorite drives in the Metroplex, I find it relatively scenic. Hope it stays that way for a long time.
Well maybe I misjudged where I was when I was traveling on I-20. But you are right. it is not dense whatsoever and from I-20, you wouldn't believe you're in a large metropolitan area. Now I-30 is a different story.

Old 04-20-2011, 08:55 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,374,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Well maybe I misjudged where I was when I was traveling on I-20. But you are right. it is not dense whatsoever and from I-20, you wouldn't believe you're in a large metropolitan area. Now I-30 is a different story.
Even areas of I-30 feel like you're not in a large metro area. Especially, between Hwy 360 east to around the Hampton Rd exit in Dallas. Lots of hills and woodlands.

Old 04-20-2011, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout_972 View Post
Even areas of I-30 feel like you're in a smaller metro area. Especially, between Hwy 360 east to around the Hampton Rd exit in Dallas. Lots of hills and woodlands.
Yeah I remember in Grand Prairie, it was like where did DFW go and all of a sudden, you see Dallas skyline appear out of nowhere.

Old 04-20-2011, 09:10 PM

617 posts, read 1,423,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
He is racist. He has made this very clear before.
Yet for the most part you defend his every word, on another note weren't you one of the ones who said mexicans like doing yard work? You shouldn't throw stones in glass houses for you are as guilty as he is though you come off more stereotypical than racist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Social Network View Post
Well with all due respect I read the thread this one is a spin off to, and some of you Houston boosters really take reality too far and stretch them. I mean seriously some of you believe its a metro of 10 million? Really? Have any of you set foot in a 10 million + metro? Oh wait there are only 2 in USA, New York and Los Angeles, and Chicago if you want to give it the pass to join the party 10 years ahead of schedule.

Houston's big and massive, its great, and a nice city and yes it feels larger than Atlanta and Dallas for what its worth. I like it, but really? Do some of you ever travel? You're getting to the level of San Francisco, Washington DC, Atlanta, and Seattle boosters now on how much you boost and that's not a good thing.

kidphilly hasn't bashed Houston in this thread, he's just been bringing you down to reason that your metro feels like a 6 million person metro. Guess what? IT IS A 6 MILLION PERSON METRO! Accept it and move on yo!!
Agreed, look Houstonians I will be the first to admit Houston does feel a bit larger than DFW can't speak of ATL since I've never been there but to say it feels MUCH larger and even to the point of saying it feels like 10 million+, cmon now even you guys must admit that is ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City