Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2007, 12:31 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTownNative View Post
New York City will always be the cultural mecca of this country,and now I kind of see why it is more important than Chicago.Something else Chicago has over L.A. is better schools.Im talking public schools.It probably has better colleges too.
1) They both have fine colleges.
2) I wouldn't send my kids to public schools in either city, unless I worked the system to get them into a magnet school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2007, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancocal View Post
So what you're trying to say is our schools suck but your schools suck worse ? [emphasis added]Ditto for the Hispanic population. . .
It appears to bear mentioning, yet again, that CTownNative IS NOT FROM CHICAGO.

How many times does this need to be pointed out?

Old 08-11-2007, 12:41 PM

2,367 posts, read 7,655,803 times
Actually really all the big cities in the country don't have very good school systems at all.Theres a couple of exceptions.

Old 08-11-2007, 01:12 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skatealoneskatetogether View Post
Steve-o, first if you are only in youre 30's im not junior to you. Didn't yoru parents teach you manners? Oh wait your from chicago....

so your evidence to refute my arguement is a study done by Master Card (not even the slightest bit of academic integrity) and an article about an EA games regional head quarters.... Yawn....
If you would have read the EA article, you would have noticed how Chicago has more corporate relocations/projects than any other city in the USA.

And if you want to be a fool and bring up parents, at least learn how to type. Did your parents teach you proper capitalization, punctuation and spelling?

Old 08-11-2007, 01:14 PM

1,287 posts, read 5,025,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
From living down here in Texas, New York is much much more well known. People here who have never even been have much more knowledge of NY then they do of LA.
Speak for yourself. More Texans have migrated to LA (including my very own family) than to New York over the last 50 years. Also, MANY young Texans attend college in LA and in CA in general. I would venture to guess far more attend college in Cali than they do in NY or anywhere else outside of Texas.

Quote:
I can tell you that New York is the more favored, respected, and attention-grabbing symbol of the States. New York has more in common with foreign places.
Based on what evidence? All current data points to the fact that LA is the most visited major city in the U.S. and it's also the primary gateway into the U.S. by new immigrants.

Quote:
I'm going to take a wild guess here and say that you're probably from California. Which may be the reason for this otherwise unnecessary conversation.
If it is so unnescessary, then why are you participating in it? I guess one could reasonably conclude that you are from New York?

Old 08-11-2007, 07:14 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,575,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
You can boat from Manhattan/Brooklyn to Galveston. After all they are on the same coast! No wonder so many New Yorkers come here. Houston was founded by brothers from upstate NY and the bayou may be named after the city in Western New York State.
Houston was founded by Augustus Chapman and John Kirby Allen, two brothers originally from upstate New York, but New York City guys. They found the city in hopes of it being another New York. Guess you could say that we have a tall order to try and fill.

Old 08-11-2007, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milquetoast View Post
Let's pretend that we're not pretending and tell me, mpope409, from the mid-sized state of Texas, about the city in that other mid-sized state of New York. Tell me why you and your acquaintences behave like sheep, spending your time in Texas and other places around the globe, talking about New York. Does it just come out spontaneousely, or do you coax it out. You're no better than the other one who is sure that he hates L. A. I'm pretty passionate, but there is no hate when I think of other cities and I certainly don't waste my time ' pretending ' New York or Chicago are anymore special than anywhere else. Though I am from Los Angeles and consider myself fortunate to be, I'm 34 years removed from it. Fortunate to be close enough in Las Vegas to visit it and my family anytime I choose. I also have a unique perspective on it, since I'm not in the fishbowl, and can study it from afar. I never realized my hometown was all that great, until I left it. I am beyond proud to be from there and still consider myself Angeleno. You waste your time thinking about New York, I hardly think of it at all. Being from Los Angeles I don't even consider it big, but I do worry about others who are fascinated by other cities other than their own to the extent that you do. They are sheep.
You lost me at "Let's"...?????? That entire paragraph made absolutely no sense to me.

Old 08-11-2007, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealAngelion View Post
Speak for yourself. More Texans have migrated to LA (including my very own family) than to New York over the last 50 years. Also, MANY young Texans attend college in LA and in CA in general. I would venture to guess far more attend college in Cali than they do in NY or anywhere else outside of Texas.
That I doubt. I would assume that the "migration" is the same if not more from New York. I can't remember the last time I met someone from California. Every city in Texas that I have lived in I've known several NYers.

But all of this is besides the point. The point is that I'm positive that your average Texan can tell you more about New York than they can Los Angeles. The world itself just puts New York on a higher pedestal. End of story. That's just common sense. If you ask any random person what's the most powerful and famous city in America, they're going to say New York. They're not going to say Los Angeles.
Quote:
If it is so unnescessary, then why are you participating in it? I guess one could reasonably conclude that you are from New York?
One would be wrong, and since I wasn't talking to you I don't think you need to worry about why I'm participating in it. Thank you.

Old 08-11-2007, 07:55 PM

1,287 posts, read 5,025,272 times
Quote:
That I doubt. I would assume that the "migration" is the same if not more from New York. I can't remember the last time I met someone from California. Every city in Texas that I have lived in I've known several NYers.

But all of this is besides the point. The point is that I'm positive that your average Texan can tell you more about New York than they can Los Angeles. The world itself just puts New York on a higher pedestal. End of story. That's just common sense. If you ask any random person what's the most powerful and famous city in America, they're going to say New York. They're not going to say Los Angeles.
So you basically have no evidence to support any of your assertions, which is exactly what I expected.

Quote:
since I wasn't talking to you I don't think you need to worry about why I'm participating in it. Thank you.
This is an open, public message board. Unless you are PMing someone, everthing that is said on here is public discourse that is open to responses and reactions from others.

Old 08-12-2007, 12:18 AM

Someone please stab this thread in the face.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City