Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2007, 02:48 AM

91 posts, read 140,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTownNative View Post
I don't understand it but NYC and L.A. always seem to be talked about more than Chicago.Chicago has more diversity and a better skyline than L.A.Chicago has really nice architecture.It has alot of different types of resturants just as NYC and L.A.Is it because Chicago is in the Midwest.I think the Midwest is a great region,whats so great about the coasts, they seem to be the most expensive regions,so why do people shell out more money to live in L.A. and New York when Chicago is every bit as good as them,and probably better than L.A.I don't know Im confused on this one.
I'm from Chitown and the city has serious energy. Unbelievable the ambiance that this city creates. In the summer of '83, WBMX and WGCI had by far the most exciting, most stimulating music in the country...HOUSE! God, what an electrifying time to be in that city. Chitown is #2 in my book and always will be.

It is overshadowed by NY because frankly NY is vastly bigger, has everything Chicago has and more, and also more PIZZAZZ. NY has more of it, Period. I was impressed the first time I was there and I was used to Chi-town.

LA is unique but mainly gets attention because it is the Land of the Larks. The country must have someplace to laugh at.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2007, 04:38 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,207,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by landrover06 View Post
I'm from Chitown and the city has serious energy. Unbelievable the ambiance that this city creates. In the summer of '83, WBMX and WGCI had by far the most exciting, most stimulating music in the country...HOUSE! God, what an electrifying time to be in that city. Chitown is #2 in my book and always will be.

It is overshadowed by NY because frankly NY is vastly bigger, has everything Chicago has and more, and also more PIZZAZZ. NY has more of it, Period. I was impressed the first time I was there and I was used to Chi-town.

LA is unique but mainly gets attention because it is the Land of the Larks. The country must have someplace to laugh at.
What has me laughing is your seemingly provincial term, " Land of the Larks." Where did you dig that up? What, did you go to L. A. and develop a chip because you found yourself not quite fitting in? CTownNative kind of has the same mindset as you. You're not still in high school, are you? When directed at Los Angeles, the laughter used is of the nervous variety, usually. With a tinge of jealousy. Oh, speaking of laughter, let us know how San Francisco is doing.

Old 08-05-2007, 10:31 AM

332 posts, read 449,017 times
People recognize the name Chicago but not many people care to go there.

[People here in my hometown usually have 3 destinations of where to visit or live....L.A,NYC,or H-Town]

Not trying to say Chicago sucks or anything because I've always wanted to visit it,but I'd "rather" visit LA or NYC.

Old 08-05-2007, 03:05 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmann101 View Post
The hundreds of millions of dollars in tourist money spent here every year suggests otherwise.

Old 08-05-2007, 04:20 PM

705 posts, read 3,297,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
The hundreds of millions of dollars in tourist money spent here every year suggests otherwise.
Yeah I would like to visit Chicago, but Los Angeles ranks the second most visited city in the country after Las Vegas, and NYC ranks 4th but not too far behind is Chicago at 5th. America's 30 Most Visited Cities | ForbesTraveler.com

Old 08-05-2007, 04:30 PM

718 posts, read 2,688,111 times
I think its so funny that there all all these vs chicago threads. When will chicagoans learn....of course its better than LA,almost anything is. But nothing in Illinois beats southern california, or northern california for that matter.

I remember there was a brawl years back between the cubs and the la dodgers. I remember the nbc la news caster said this one thing that stuck with me; "its okay we don't mind a little rough housing here in LA, because we understand that LIVING in Chicago, is punishment enough.

enough said. enjoy the midwest, and ill enjoy everything in california.

Old 08-05-2007, 04:34 PM

718 posts, read 2,688,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
"Why do NYC and L.A. always overshadow Chicago?"

Nobody really cares why, except we Chicagoans do get a little defensive when certain Coasters carry forth like Chicago is just a hayseed town with a giant skyline. I did find it amusing, however, that a number of respondents in this thread assumed the OP was from Chicago and used that as a basis for claiming we have an inferiority complex or that he's giving "us" a bad name when he doesn't even live here.
except its not just that, there all these vs chicago threads. I mean give us all a break and get over yourselves.

Old 08-05-2007, 06:07 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,303,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milquetoast View Post
Wikipedia is going to tell me that ' Boswash ' holds 120 million people! There's an illustration of my point. Lammius, what makes you think that mouse of a mayor you call Bloomberg doesn't get behind the podium he calls home and points his finger at whatever he wants to acquire? He's already got you in New York doing things I'll bet you never thought you'd do! Boswash? Should be called Hogwash!
Ok, this is just getting silly now. I tried to help and it's a lost cause. Hope you're at least having fun.

Old 08-05-2007, 08:39 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skatealoneskatetogether View Post
except its not just that, there all these vs chicago threads. I mean give us all a break and get over yourselves.
I will state, once again, that the person who started this thread isn't even from Chicago. Additionally, neither were any of the other "vs Chicago" threads recently posted here as far as I can tell. So get over yourself.

Old 08-05-2007, 09:39 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,742,172 times
You must be kidding. Please kindly check this survey. T&L has more than 1 million subscribers and here are the best cities according to its annual surveys (2006, 2007)

2006 2007
1 1 New York 85.36
2 2 San Francisco 84.60
3 3 Chicago 83.15
4 5 Santa Fe 83.05
5 7 Quebec City 82.81
6 4 Charleston, South Carolina 82.36
7 6 Vancouver 81.00
8 9 Montreal 79.98
9 8 Victoria, British Columbia 79.61
10 10 Seattle

2007 World's Best Cities | United States And Canada | Travel + Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmann101 View Post

[People here in my hometown usually have 3 destinations of where to visit or live....L.A,NYC,or H-Town]

Not trying to say Chicago sucks or anything because I've always wanted to visit it,but I'd "rather" visit LA or NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City