Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2009, 05:23 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,126,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurous1 View Post
What is "jumping block party"?

It sounds inhumane. Certainly nothing I would ever attend.
You probably would't attend. You can't show up in your gucci to a block party. Plus its full of common people.

The fact that you know nothing about a block party also says that you know nothin about Chicago or New York.

Old 03-06-2009, 06:16 AM

2,314 posts, read 4,798,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Why the hell does it matter?

I'd take a jumping block party over some wine tasting event anyday.

One thing I can say about Chitown is that we know how to get down!!
We do know how to get it down! We party hard, and aren't afraid to admit it! I guess we're to much for Dementor to handle.

Old 03-06-2009, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
We do know how to get it down! We party hard, and aren't afraid to admit it! I guess we're to much for Dementor to handle.

Yea, he'd fit in better on My Super Sweet 16.

Chicago is way too raw for him I guess.

Old 03-06-2009, 07:36 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,005,097 times
Quote:
Chicago is way too raw for him I guess.
I think raw is a good description.

As in "not done" "unfinished" "Needs more time" "Not palatable" (Okay that one was a stretch. )

Old 03-06-2009, 08:48 AM

734 posts, read 2,053,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
You saying it doesn't make it so neither.
Again. Name a cultural event taking place in Chicago that is of national / international scale?
Name a publication out of Chicago that has a national and international circulation.
You can't? You lost then. Good night. Sweet dreams about NSA and IP checks (??)
Taste of Chicago
The Chicago Civic Opera
National Museum of Mexican Art
Garfield Park Conservatory
Adler Planetarium
Shedd Aquarium
Field Museum
Musuem of Science and Industry
Lollapallooza
DuSable Museum of African-American History
International Museum of Surgical Science
Spertus
Art Institute of Chicago
Museum of Contemporary Art
National Philharmonic of Russia
South African Cultural Heritage
Ford Center for the Performing Arts
Second City
Touch o' Green

Do we need to continue or are you done looking even more like a jackass? I thought you were kidding because who in their right mind would say something like you were but...apparently you thought you had made a good point- you didn't.

Old 03-06-2009, 08:51 AM

156 posts, read 330,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
Humiliated? Hardly. My work is done here anyway. Anyone reading pro-Chicago posts already has an opinion about your city.

Chicago is a dump with no culture. There is no single cultural even on nationaon internationla scale. There is no single national / international publication coming out of Chicago. To the world - you do not exist.
Good night.
You were destroyed yesterday...I'm surprised you're even showing up here again after the beating you took. Anyone from New York must dread every new posting from you. At first you were fun to laugh at, now you're just sad. I'll give you some time to lick your wounds and try to recover, but you might want to educate yourself a bit more next time, otherwise the result will be the same.

Old 03-06-2009, 09:20 AM

1,963 posts, read 1,822,485 times
Why does it always seem that in the Chicago vs. NYC threads, the token pretentious douchebag is always a New Yorker...

Old 03-06-2009, 10:21 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,627,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasS6 View Post
Taste of Chicago
The Chicago Civic Opera
National Museum of Mexican Art
Garfield Park Conservatory
Adler Planetarium
Shedd Aquarium
Field Museum
Musuem of Science and Industry
Lollapallooza
DuSable Museum of African-American History
International Museum of Surgical Science
Spertus
Art Institute of Chicago
Museum of Contemporary Art
National Philharmonic of Russia
South African Cultural Heritage
Ford Center for the Performing Arts
Second City
Touch o' Green

Do we need to continue or are you done looking even more like a jackass? I thought you were kidding because who in their right mind would say something like you were but...apparently you thought you had made a good point- you didn't.
Lucas-- Great list, but this just scratches the surface of nationally (some internationally) respected orgs.
Joffrey (actually moved here from NY)
Steppenwolf
Oriental Museum
Lyric
Hubbard St. Dance
Millenium Park
Jazz and Blues Festivals
Architecture Foundation
Brookfield and Lincoln Park Zoos
Green Mill

I could go on, but euromentor, of course will miss the point. Or, more likely, not pay any attention to it altogether.

Last edited by BigLake; 03-06-2009 at 10:45 AM..

Old 03-06-2009, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.smith904 View Post
Why does it always seem that in the Chicago vs. NYC threads, the token pretentious douchebag is always a New Yorker...
The funny part is the person who is the douchebag is usually not even a New Yorker...they have just visited.

Old 03-06-2009, 02:03 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,021,405 times
Quote:
Why the hell does it matter?

I'd take a jumping block party over some wine tasting event anyday.

One thing I can say about Chitown is that we know how to get down!!
Funny, you probably havent been to much out in NY. There always block partys and local events across NYC. Trust me i know i used to go to them with my family when i was 5-8 years old and stayed up all night til like 1-2 o' clock. Giant speaker system, people cooking on the streets, giving out food and drinks, etc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City