Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 09:46 PM

2,545 posts, read 3,298,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Don't compare Miami with Philly. Philly stretches for miles in all directions from the center, north,west, and south (a bit less towards the north) with neighborhoods that reach or exceed Little Havana's density. Going south, it holds that density almost exactly to the border. Few cities except maybe Chicago and obviously NYC do this. (Maybe San Francisco, but either way Philly does very well).
I wasn't comparing them, but merely stating that Miami has a higher population density (according to Wiki at least) - which is amazing - yet doesn't feel like it at all. Which is the topic of this thread.

What is it that you disagree with?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2012, 09:53 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
I wasn't comparing them, but merely stating that Miami has a higher population density (according to Wiki at least) - which is amazing - yet doesn't feel like it at all. Which is the topic of this thread.

What is it that you disagree with?
I didn't mean to be arguementative, I was trying to point out the overall numbers don't really give a good picture on what the density is (Philly limits also include land where few live and it just covers more area).

Old 07-05-2012, 09:57 PM

2,545 posts, read 3,298,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I didn't mean to be arguementative, I was trying to point out the overall numbers don't really give a good picture on what the density is (Philly limits also include land where few live and it just covers more area).
Yes, which is why Philly feels more dense -- even though overall it isn't. That's exactly the point.

Old 07-05-2012, 10:16 PM

896 posts, read 1,170,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm123 View Post
LA certainly is dense, but it also has sprawl. I think what some people refer to is concentrated density. Using one measure I like (perceived density of the MSA divided by actual density of the MSA), LA is the 8th most concentrated MSA (measuring only the top 15). It's slightly less concentrated than Washington and slightly more than Seattle (Miami is 12th, btw, between Dallas and Houston).
LOL given 134 sq miles around the core of los angeles it is denser than Philly, so LA is not all sprawl like you think it is buddy

Old 07-05-2012, 10:27 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,856,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliSon View Post
LOL given 134 sq miles around the core of los angeles it is denser than Philly, so LA is not all sprawl like you think it is buddy
I'm not sure how much sprawl you think I think LA has. Also, sprawl can be very dense. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

Edit: To clarify what I mean, I'll say that a place can be spread out, have stripmalls, be very car dependent and other things typically associated with sprawl while still being very densely populated. I won't use LA as an example, because I don't know it well, but Miami (and especially Miami-Dade as a whole) is a clear example. There's a lot of people here and a lot of sprawl.

Edit 2: When I talk about concentrated populations, it's my term for what Eric Eidlin, a community planner, talks about this study. Also, despite the stigmas attached to "sprawl" and the positives associated with "density," I'm not using these as value terms. Sprawl has advantages and concentration has disadvantages.

Last edited by pgm123; 07-05-2012 at 10:53 PM..

Old 07-05-2012, 10:56 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,188,334 times
Quote:
You can cut 227 sq miles out the core of Los Angeles and be denser than Chicago, or the core 46 square miles and be denser than San Francisco. However, those areas still will not be as walkable or urban as Philly, Chicago or San Francisco due to LA's poor urban layout due to its auto-centric attributes.

Old 07-05-2012, 11:15 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
You can cut 227 sq miles out the core of Los Angeles and be denser than Chicago, or the core 46 square miles and be denser than San Francisco. However, those areas still will not be as walkable or urban as Philly, Chicago or San Francisco due to LA's poor urban layout due to its auto-centric attributes.
Actually I think this was brought up before and it isn't true. Regardless, you can go back and forth when comparing sizes (haha), and it always changes. For instance, if you're sizing up the top 227 square miles of LA - then you're taking the densest areas of that city and comparing it to Chicago where you're including O'hare and the areas around Wolf Lake, etc. that have 20+ square miles and no people. yadda yadda.

Old 07-05-2012, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
That's true however LA still has plenty of pedestrian activity within those square miles, that was my whole point from the very begining of this thread when someone used LA as an example, though I agree that in their respective square miles of each of the cities you listed above they are more walkable and have higher pedestrian activity none of them is head and shoulders above LA, in other words LA is no slouch in that department eventhough as the second largest city in the nation it should be higher

Old 07-06-2012, 12:29 AM

443 posts, read 877,932 times
Quote:
That's true however LA still has plenty of pedestrian activity within those square miles, that was my whole point from the very begining of this thread when someone used LA as an example, though I agree that in their respective square miles of each of the cities you listed above they are more walkable and have higher pedestrian activity none of them is head and shoulders above LA, in other words LA is no slouch in that department eventhough as the second largest city in the nation it should be higher
LA has quite a few dense nodes with a good amount of pedestrian activity. But the city also has a ton of areas that are technically dense, but have very little pedestrian activity. And I'm talking some pretty large swaths.

Old 07-06-2012, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relegate View Post
LA has quite a few dense nodes with a good amount of pedestrian activity. But the city also has a ton of areas that are technically dense, but have very little pedestrian activity. And I'm talking some pretty large swaths.
those large swaths you talk about are nowhere near the core which was what I was talking about
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City