Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Houston surpass Chicago as the 3rd largest city by 2020?
Yes 497 41.49%
No 701 58.51%
Voters: 1198. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 05:11 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
Phoenix does not have the worst weather in the world. It's 80 degrees and sunny today, and will likely be so until March. Just absolutely horrendous. . It's a wonder that people are moving to Phoenix left and right to enjoy our "horrendous climate."
And then in March the temps rise. By late April youre close to 100 degrees. From then until mid-November youre brutalized by endless heat and horrid sunshine, the perfect definition of horrible weather. Rain? You dont get any at all hardly. Then when it does come, you get to enjoy the beautiful duststorms...

...followed by high humidity and flooded streets and bad winds
http://forms.belointeractive.com/sharedcontent/datafiles/1154136957556_ORIGINAL_big_storm_010.jpg (broken link)

Then comes your winter, which is mild, not warm like everyone would believe. Snow can and does occur in the Valley, something that wont happen in Miami, Honolulu, San Diego, L.A., etc... you know, places with good winter weather.

Then come February the temps are nice, same goes for March and some of April, then BAM! here it comes again...

Google Image Result for http://msnbcmedia3.msn.com/j/ap/e2e0035d-2c8a-412e-96bc-930edb014140.widec.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2007, 08:07 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,842,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
Yeah, 40 percent of Phoenix's economy is not based on a particular industry unlike Houston. Just becuase Houston is home to shiny new skyscrapers does not negate the fact that it's economy is based on oil. If the oil industry collapse, Houston would collapse as well. End of story.

Phoenix does not have the worst weather in the world. It's 80 degrees and sunny today, and will likely be so until March. Just absolutely horrendous. . It's a wonder that people are moving to Phoenix left and right to enjoy our "horrendous climate." Lets not talk about Houston, where it's not only hot, but as humid as a jungle for months and months. Lets not talk about the hurricane threat for months and months. Lets not talk about those freakish rainstorms where 8 inches of rain falls in a day.

I am not even going to go into Chicago's climate. It's funny that Chicagolanders are moving to Phoenix in droves. But Phoenicians aren't moving to Chicago in droves.

Houston was noted as having the highest percentage of obese people in the country. Chicago was not far behind. In 2006, Chicago was ranked as having the highest percentage of obese people in this country. You have obviously never been to Scottsdale if you think Scottsdale has a greater number of obese people than anywhere you've been. Get a clue.

Of course the sun sucks the moisture out of you. It's a desert. . I'd rather be dry than to live in the jungle-like humidity that is Houston or Chicago.

You are obviously delusional. No one cares about Houston. How many movies has Houston's skyline been featured in? Not too many. For such an nationally important place, it sure isn't talked about much.

Houston will always live in Dallas' shadow. Whenever I tell people that Houston is the 4th most populous city in the U.S., I always get a look of sheer shock.

Houston is home to an estimated 400,000 illegal immigrants. Additionally, 150,000 New Orleans residents relocated to Houston. Your population numbers show nothing about your city's prominence.
Wow, shows how little you know!

Industry - You're thinking of the 1980's. Today, the city's largest employer is actually the Texas Medical Center.

Obesity - You're thinking of the Men's Fitness list. It was based on such things as number of pizza joints, sporting goods stores, and commute times... hardly scientific. On the other hand, this list based on BMIs (probably CDC data) has Houston and two of its suburbs as skinny cities - MONEY Magazine: Best places to live 2006: Top 25 Skinniest

You're the one who is delusional! How many times do we hear "Houston, we have a problem!" Most people realize the importance of NASA and the ISS, the port, and energy industry.... other things less known (but no less important) are all the innovations that are or have come out of Houston, especially in the medical industry... do some research! And I see no Phoenix or Dallas buildings here - 33 World Buildings - SkyscraperPage.com

The only two reasons you get looks of "sheer shock" are because
1. Those people are as ignorant as you
2. People get confused because although Houston is the 4th largest city, it's not the 4th largest metro area

New Orleans people - most of those are gone now.

Old 11-01-2007, 08:39 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Some comments in this thread are GOLD.

Houston living in the shadow of Dallas. ( This takes the cake)
Houston having a very large obese population.
Houston be cited by a Men's magazine on being the fattest city when in reality, that survey has NOTHING to do with human freaking beings.
People still think Houston lives off the oil industry. I guess they forgot about the port and the fast growing medical district. A medical district that's already large.

I also love the fact that people said that PHX will pass Houston before Houston passes Chicago because PHX is growing SOOOOOOOOOOOO fast. Yet Guerilla puts up the growth in RAW numbers and people still want to use percentage numbers? Who cares about percentage numbers when it goes up against Raw Numbers.

Houston may not be THE city with the highest density with urbanity. But there are pockets in Houston inside the loop as you seen from these pics that you can not find ANYWHERE in the city of Phoenix.

Hilarious.
That said, I don't think Houston passes Chicago for a while.

Old 11-01-2007, 10:37 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,452,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJP View Post
The middle class and the others have decided to stay in Houston. My neighbor is from N.O. I think N.O. is finally going to die. Got rid of another competitor!

Old 11-02-2007, 02:51 PM

2,441 posts, read 7,009,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
And then in March the temps rise. By late April youre close to 100 degrees. From then until mid-November youre brutalized by endless heat and horrid sunshine, the perfect definition of horrible weather. Rain? You dont get any at all hardly. Then when it does come, you get to enjoy the beautiful duststorms...

...followed by high humidity and flooded streets and bad winds
http://forms.belointeractive.com/sharedcontent/datafiles/1154136957556_ORIGINAL_big_storm_010.jpg (broken link)

Then comes your winter, which is mild, not warm like everyone would believe. Snow can and does occur in the Valley, something that wont happen in Miami, Honolulu, San Diego, L.A., etc... you know, places with good winter weather.

Then come February the temps are nice, same goes for March and some of April, then BAM! here it comes again...

Google Image Result for http://msnbcmedia3.msn.com/j/ap/e2e0035d-2c8a-412e-96bc-930edb014140.widec.jpg
Are you serious? Really serious? Our average high doesn't reach 100 degrees until early to mid June. Of course we have days that reach 100 before June, but we are not routinely above 100 until at least late-May to early-June.

I love how you showed the absolute extremes of Phoenix's weather. It's funny that none of the snow pictures you showed are actually in Phoenix. We haven't had accumulating snow at Sky Harbor (the official Phoenix weathersite) since 1990, where we saw a half inch. There has been measurable snow recorded in Phoenix NINE times in the past 107 years. I'm glad it snowed in the foothills once this past winter so you could go online and find pictures of saguaros with snow on them. .

You must also not know that measurable snowfall has been recorded in San Diego, Los Angeles, Miami, and the higher elevations of Hawaii. In fact, I had friends who were excited to tell me that there were snowflakes in Westwood, in the city of Los Angeles.
cbs2.com - Los Angeles Has A Snow Day (broken link) Snow in Los Angeles
SignOnSanDiego.com Photo Galleries :: Snow in San Diego Snow in San Diego

Our winter temperatures are extremely pleasant by many national standards. Our average high is 66 and our average low is 45. Los Angeles sees an average high of 65 and an average low of 48. That is in January. You act as though we have devilishly hot summers, overly-warm falls, frigid winters, then back to overly-warm springs. Get a clue. It's early-November now, so I guess we would fall into the endless heat and horrid (lol) sunshine season. Too bad it's a comfortable 82 degrees right now. Of course, we receive 86 percent of possible sunshine here, but most people who are not vampires, Satanists, or Don/Debbie Downers enjoy it. Let's compare that to Chicago which receives 54 percent of possible sunshine. How about good ol' Houston where residents receive 58 percent of possible sunshine.

You all make it seem like dust storms are a regular occurrence here. I'm sure since you're SO familiar with Phoenix, you know that we have monsoon season here. Those types of massive dust storms usually occur no more than two to three times a year. Those storms really don't even move through Phoenix anymore, but in the Southeast and Southwest Valley where there is still a lot of construction and open farmland that allows dust to be kicked up like that. I love when you say it doesn't rain, then you say we get flooded streets every year. Make up your mind.

Additionally, we don't get a dust storms when it rains. What kind of sense does that make?

Old 11-02-2007, 03:10 PM

No sense in arguing... Ive been there in April and had it almost be 100 degrees. Ive been there in mid October and had 100 degrees. Yes, theyre not average, but they can and do occur on a yearly basis. So in a sense, from May until November, its HOT, agreed? And since duststorms occur several times a year, that definitely qualifies them to be a regular occurance, would it not? Im not talkin daily of course, but every year you get several of those nasty duststorms.

And those pics were actually taken in the Valley, up near Carefree, and some in Tucson. I can find pics of Scottsdale snow (near Indian School Road) if you give me time... everyone knows the mountains around PHX get snow, but Ive also seen it down in the Valley and even had friends call me last year to say they were getting snow in Chandler and Glendale. In other words, PHX gets cold, its not a "paradise" as everyone down there makes it seem. Days are decently warm, nights are cold more often than not, with many freeze warnings and occasional snowfall.

As for your current temps, theyre still in the upper 80s and lower 90s last week, dont think I dont talk to family down there, its still hot. And to have 90s in late October is insane, as is 33 days this year of 110 degrees plus. And yes, you get 86% sunshine, your skin cancer rates in AZ show it! And besides, most people down there cannot stand the constant sun, especially in the summer, its old and tiring as the rain in Seattle.

Old 11-02-2007, 03:24 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,106,669 times
Steve-o, you don't like Phoenix. We get it. Obviously a lot of other people don't mind the constant sun, judging from their population gains.

Old 11-02-2007, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
Obviously a lot of other people don't mind the constant sun, judging from their population gains.
Hmmm, funny, alot of people who live there would say the exact opposite.

Old 11-02-2007, 03:52 PM

2,441 posts, read 7,009,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJP View Post
Wow, shows how little you know!

Industry - You're thinking of the 1980's. Today, the city's largest employer is actually the Texas Medical Center.

Obesity - You're thinking of the Men's Fitness list. It was based on such things as number of pizza joints, sporting goods stores, and commute times... hardly scientific. On the other hand, this list based on BMIs (probably CDC data) has Houston and two of its suburbs as skinny cities - MONEY Magazine: Best places to live 2006: Top 25 Skinniest

You're the one who is delusional! How many times do we hear "Houston, we have a problem!" Most people realize the importance of NASA and the ISS, the port, and energy industry.... other things less known (but no less important) are all the innovations that are or have come out of Houston, especially in the medical industry... do some research! And I see no Phoenix or Dallas buildings here - 33 World Buildings - SkyscraperPage.com

The only two reasons you get looks of "sheer shock" are because
1. Those people are as ignorant as you
2. People get confused because although Houston is the 4th largest city, it's not the 4th largest metro area

Current News*-*St. Luke's Episcopal Health System (http://www.sleh.com/sleh/Section004/index.cfm?pagename=Current%20News&PageMD=NEWS%20AN D%20EVENTS&ObjectID=B834AA01-0634-41DF-974B11F581856006 - broken link)

"The prevalance of obesity in Houston exceeds the state estimate of 35 percent."

"Close to 50 percent of 4th graders in Houston are at risk [for obesity] or are overweight, the highest in the state."

Houstonians are fat in one of the fattest states in the country. Stop making excuses. The factors which Men's Fitness magazine highlighted come together to make Houston a haven for obesity. It's not the lack of fitness centers that is the problem in Houston. I doubt the fitness that do exist are bursting at the seams. Many Houstonians are slamming Whataburger down their throats, hopping in the car, driving home, and watching movies in their air conditioned homes with a bag of large popcorn, a liter of Coke, and a box of Milk Duds.

http://www.houston.org/blackfenders/15AW001.pdf (broken link)

The link above shows that oil mining represents the largest sector of Houston's Gross Area Product. Without oil, Houston would suffer greatly. Stop denying it.

Gross metropolitan product - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's hilarious that you think because Dallas's and Phoenix's skyscrapers aren't as tall as Houston's, you have a case for anything. Dallas has a larger metro area, has a much larger metropolitan economy than Houston. .

Phoenix is in jeoapardy of overtaking Houston in population. That has been my claim all along. When the oil industry slows, Houston's population growth will slow, as well.

Houston is still a city below many people's radars. Sure it might be a hub of interest for Texans and people in Western Louisiana, but that's about it. Dallas is a much more prominent city in Texas, despite its lower population.

I am glad that you have personally witnessed or counted nearly all of the 150,000 "New Orleans people" (boy, that sounds like an term of endearment) leave Houston. Houston's latest population census definitely showed an increase in population, which is undeniably attributed to the surge of New Orleanians.

Like I said before, Houston is like the larger (overweight), red headed step-sister of Dallas. When Phoenix sneaks up behind Houston, it will give the city a big slap in the head as it surpasses in population.

So your answer is no. Houston will not surpass Chicago, or any other city in the country in population.

Old 11-02-2007, 03:54 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,106,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Hmmm, funny, alot of people who live there would say the exact opposite.

I think you're making the mistake of extrapolating your personal experiences with family members to the millions of other people who choose to make that area their home.

If "alot of people" truly felt as you think they should, the area wouldn't be growing like it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City