Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: East Coast vs. West Coast
East Coast 426 50.30%
West Coast 421 49.70%
Voters: 847. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 02:30 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,244,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
I think the west coast has better climate etc. However the east coast is where the population is. The west coast feels more like an outpost. San Fran etc are great cities, however they are somewhat isolated compared to say philly which is a great city amongst other great cities. Within 2-3 hours I have multiple whole other great cities with their own identities.
This is exactly one of the reasons why I prefer the west coast. More room between the major cities and just more natural beauty. The drive from DC to NY/Nj which I did many times must be the most boring drive on earth. Flat, straight, abandoned warehouses, in the middle of nowhere cheap townhouse and housing developments here and there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2014, 10:00 AM

669 posts, read 915,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
This is exactly one of the reasons why I prefer the west coast. More room between the major cities and just more natural beauty. The drive from DC to NY/Nj which I did many times must be the most boring drive on earth. Flat, straight, abandoned warehouses, in the middle of nowhere cheap townhouse and housing developments here and there.
Well most people have a different idea if fun that what nature they get while driving between major cities lol. There are nature areas between New York and DC, it's just nobody cares enough to waste time and drive around it. Most people would rather save time with a short drive and spend it doing something that's actually fun in the cities. A lot of people tend to actually take PT and relax and etc. Something which takes a gazillion years on the west coast if you try to.

Old 01-20-2014, 04:16 PM

244 posts, read 362,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
Lord. You're citing television shows as proof of anything?

That's as ridiculous as saying the East Coast is a depraved and violent place ... just look at Jersey Shore or The Sopranos.
Hm..not quite. One is a reality show about a sub culture (which is true by the way, plenty of people are like that in that area of Jersey) and the other is a crime drama, going up a socially conscious comedy.

He is citing a parody, so it does hold a bit more weight in the interpretation of how people come off as. It is literally a social commentary and generalization of a huge demograph of people. Not saying I agree with him, but it's really not the same as citing The Sopranos and assuming everyone is an Italian mobster in NYC.

Old 01-20-2014, 04:23 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,461,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
East Coast is winning in terms of Supertalls

NYC
1. One World Trade
2. 432 Park Ave- construction
3. Two World Trade- construction
4. Three World Trade- construction
5. Empire State Building
6. Bank of America Tower
7. Chrysler Building
8. New York Times Building

Philly
1. Comcast Innovation & Technology Center- Construction Summer

Atlanta
1. Bank of America Plaza

Los Angeles
1. Wilshire Grand- construction
2. U.S. Bank Tower

San Francisco
1. Transbay Tower- site prep
The Columbia center in Seattle was originally supposed to be over 1000 feet tall but FAA height restrictions made them cut out over 100 feet on the design. The restriction is the only thing keeping Seattle from having a super tall or possibly several.

Old 01-21-2014, 06:17 PM

132 posts, read 206,833 times
Greetings everybody,

Here is this YouTube video on the South Park commentary episode:

Smug Alert! | Commentary (South Park) - YouTube

Old 01-21-2014, 06:39 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,698,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevanXL View Post
The Columbia center in Seattle was originally supposed to be over 1000 feet tall but FAA height restrictions made them cut out over 100 feet on the design. The restriction is the only thing keeping Seattle from having a super tall or possibly several.
K? But it doesn't have a supertall. This is the real world, not fantasy.

Old 01-21-2014, 07:59 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,461,849 times
Quote:
K? But it doesn't have a supertall. This is the real world, not fantasy.
I think you missed my point. Some cities are forced height restrictions on how high they can build which eliminates them from constructing supertalls. Boeing field unfortunately is only about 10 minutes south of Downtown Seattle making it directly in its flight path. Other cities on the East Coast with had established downtown cores well before the popularization of modern flight do not have major airfields so close to their city centers. This allows them to build higher and higher while cities like Seattle can only build denser.

Old 01-21-2014, 08:15 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Quote:
East Coast is winning in terms of Supertalls

NYC
1. One World Trade
2. 432 Park Ave- construction
3. Two World Trade- construction
4. Three World Trade- construction
5. Empire State Building
6. Bank of America Tower
7. Chrysler Building
8. New York Times Building

Philly
1. Comcast Innovation & Technology Center- Construction Summer

Atlanta
1. Bank of America Plaza

Los Angeles
1. Wilshire Grand- construction
2. U.S. Bank Tower

San Francisco
1. Transbay Tower- site prep
Well it's more like NYC is "winning" and the rest of you are just riding on its coattails as usual lol

Old 01-21-2014, 08:34 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,000,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Well it's more like NYC is "winning" and the rest of you are just riding on its coattails as usual lol
I knew it would only be a matter of time before you would say that.

Since when has cities like Boston, Atlanta and Philly ever "piggyback" off NYC for anything? I hope you understand that they are stand alone cites.

Old 01-21-2014, 08:56 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,622,010 times
Doesn't matter where you live. As long as you have money, you'll have the best life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.