Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The following city has the greatest influence on the rest of the U.S.A...
New York City 502 68.30%
Los Angeles 233 31.70%
Voters: 735. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 01:57 AM

981 posts, read 806,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dncr View Post
I've always thought Chicago and L.A were about the same when it came to world rankings. L.A tends to be over exaggerated greatly. Obviously there's a reason it's ranked behind Chicago, no need to try and insult Chicago...
I consider LA and Chicago on the same level, actually, with a slight nudge going to LA because of population and its importance as the entertainment/music capital of the world. LA has all of the industries that Chicago has, although Chicago has some financial institutions that LA lacks, so in terms of business/finance, I would put Chicago a notch above LA, to be fair. However, overall, Chicago definitely does not have the influence that NYC and LA have.

And, nothing about LA is exaggerated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2010, 01:59 AM

981 posts, read 806,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Los Angeles is a LOT more than just movies. No one can seriously believe that the US's second largest city and metro became that as a one-trick pony, right?

Los Angeles - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Anyhow, LA's influence is actually greater than is proportional to its size since media production and advertisement (as well as higher education in which LA is also a major player) are so heavily geared towards influencing others. However, NYC is also a media and higher education capital as well as a major locus of corporate headquarters and various political institutions. So the choice is squarely on NYC.

That being said, the US doesn't have a primate city whatsoever (and the main industries of both cities have steadily distributed themselves into other cities in the past few decades) so the influence of both of them are often greatly exaggerated.
Most of the New Yorkers here bash LA. That link you provided basically contains all the information they need, and they will still come back and say LA is simply about the beach and movies.

I don't even bother anymore. Waste of my time.

Old 01-04-2010, 02:01 AM
TT1

148 posts, read 440,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justcause View Post
Most of the New Yorkers here bash LA.
Who?

I don't see LA bashing.

Old 01-04-2010, 02:59 AM

37,157 posts, read 39,418,669 times
Quote:
Most of the New Yorkers here bash LA. That link you provided basically contains all the information they need, and they will still come back and say LA is simply about the beach and movies.

Eh, I live in New York.

I think you're talking about a vocal minority of New Yorkers on this board that tend to annoy everyone including other New Yorkers.

Old 01-04-2010, 03:43 AM

141 posts, read 196,319 times
Quote:

I actually like Los Angeles.

Old 01-04-2010, 11:02 AM

403 posts, read 1,394,623 times
I also like LA. It's just a different place. On a day like today ocean and wilshire sounds PRETTY good. That said, I do believe NYC is one of the most influential cities in the world.

Old 01-04-2010, 01:08 PM

721 posts, read 1,794,718 times
Quote:
I consider LA and Chicago on the same level, actually, with a slight nudge going to LA because of population and its importance as the entertainment/music capital of the world.
It's not the entertainment capital of the world. I think Bollywood took that title a few years back.

Quote:
LA has all of the industries that Chicago has, although Chicago has some financial institutions that LA lacks, so in terms of business/finance, I would put Chicago a notch above LA, to be fair.
Agreed

Quote:
However, overall, Chicago definitely does not have the influence that NYC and LA have.
If business = influence, then Chicago does play in the same league as L.A and NYC. L.A doesn't have the financial outputs of Chicago, which may be a reason it has been dropped to Beta city status.

Quote:
And, nothing about LA is exaggerated.
Haha, I'm going to have to disagree!

Old 01-04-2010, 01:23 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,093,158 times
Quote:
I consider LA and Chicago on the same level, actually, with a slight nudge going to LA because of population and its importance as the entertainment/music capital of the world
Quote:
It's not the entertainment capital of the world. I think Bollywood took that title a few years back
Thats ridiculous

Old 01-04-2010, 02:18 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,463,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dncr View Post
It's not the entertainment capital of the world. I think Bollywood took that title a few years back.
I think Bollywood technically produces more movies...but let's not get ridiculous here. Hollywood is much more influential than Bollywood.

Quote:
If business = influence, then Chicago does play in the same league as L.A and NYC.
As far as business goes, I think it's definitely ahead of Los Angeles, but quite a distance behind New York City.

Old 01-04-2010, 03:17 PM

721 posts, read 1,794,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
I think Bollywood technically produces more movies...but let's not get ridiculous here. Hollywood is much more influential than Bollywood.
Not necessarily, here L.A will always dominate the U.S movie scene, but India has ~600+ million more people than the U.S. It's influence in film, as well as economically, without a doubt is spreading across the region with India's growing power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
As far as business goes, I think it's definitely ahead of Los Angeles, but quite a distance behind New York City.
Obviously, that's like saying Cleveland is more economically important than Boston, San Francisco, and Houston combined
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City