Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2015, 10:08 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,969,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Ok... serious question. And don't get offended or anything, but...

Is it really that common to misspell "Fort Worth"? I've been seeing this a lot lately.
Isn't Fort Worth like a suburb of Dallas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2015, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Off the top of my head

Texas - Houston - Austin

Florida - Miami - Daytona Beach

Indiana - Indianapolis - Muncie

North Carolina - Raleigh - Ashville

Wesconsin - Green Bay - Madison

Minnesota - Minneapolis - Rochester

Mississippi - Jackson - Hattiesburg

Alabama - Birmingham - Mobile

Michigan - Detroit - Ann Arbor

Virginia - Richmond - Charlottesville

Ohio - Cincinnatti - Columbus

Kansas - Witchita - Kansas City

Thats about all I can think of for now.
Just wow. The biggest surprise was Muncie as Indiana's second city. It's barely 70,000 people and only a college town, and you're putting it ahead of Evansville, Fort Wayne, South Bend, and Bloomington? Interesting choice but I don't see why.

Hattiesburg is much the same way, a small college town, and you're putting it ahead of Columbus, Natchez, Gulfport, and Biloxi?

Daytona Beach in front of Orlando, Tampa, and Jacksonville?

Old 04-11-2015, 10:31 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,165,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Fort Worth is it's own city. Not a suburb.

Old 04-11-2015, 10:36 AM

2,693 posts, read 3,187,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
Illinois is hard. I would say probably Rockford or Peoria. But, truth be told, in terms of its cultural sphere of influence, and that nearly 700,000+ people live in the Illinois suburbs, I might be inclined to say St. Louis, Missouri.
It's Springfield. As someone from the Metro East, I can tell you that no one there is ever thinking of Peoria or Rockford. The only two cities in all of Illinois that the whole state looks to are Chicago and Springfield.

Quote:
Lol, except St. Louis isn't really in Illinois, and the 700,000 in Illinois suburbs of St. Louis isn't one city. I'm not even sure what the big suburb is down there.
I do see what he's saying. The Metro East is the largest urban area in Illinois outside of Chicago, and this state does love grouping its cities together. Examples include Bloomington-Normal, Urbana-Champaign, and the Quad Cities.

The largest city there is Belleville, btw. It has around 45,000 people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasmineFlower View Post
For Illinois, Springfield, Rockford, and Aurora are all possibilities, with a case to be made for Champaign-Urbana. But not St. Louis. Only East St. Louis can count for Illinois..
Aurora is apart of Chicagoland, so it's out, and Champaign and Urbana are two separate cities. As for St. Louis and the Metro East, East St. Louis is a hell hole and not even close to being the largest city in the Illinois suburbs of St. Louis. Belleville, the city on top of the hill overlooking E STL, is almost twice its size.

Old 04-11-2015, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
Fort Worth is it's own city. Not a suburb.
Yes, I'm aware, just poking fun at the Fort Worth homers.

Old 04-11-2015, 11:46 AM

4,502 posts, read 4,610,521 times
Quote:
Just wow. The biggest surprise was Muncie as Indiana's second city. It's barely 70,000 people and only a college town, and you're putting it ahead of Evansville, Fort Wayne, South Bend, and Bloomington? Interesting choice but I don't see why.

Hattiesburg is much the same way, a small college town, and you're putting it ahead of Columbus, Natchez, Gulfport, and Biloxi?

Daytona Beach in front of Orlando, Tampa, and Jacksonville?
I don't necessarily go for the obvious. Thats boring.

I think Muncie is probably more well known than Ft Wayne orSouth Bend. Muncie is one of those places that you just say the name Muncie and everybody knows its in Indiana. The only city might be more well known than Muncie would be Terre Haute. But Muncie is up and coming. It's one of the best kept secrets in the whole of Indiana.

For Mississippi's 2nd city I was torn between Biloxi, Hattiesburg, Tupelo and Natchez. I chose Hattieburg because it's the most vibrant and it feels like something exciting is going on.

Daytona Beach is just about the best beach in the United States. Every beach I ever been to pales to Daytona Beach, in my opinion.

Old 04-11-2015, 12:22 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,894,516 times
Quote:

Old 04-11-2015, 01:17 PM

1,624 posts, read 2,035,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Off the top of my head

Texas - Houston - Austin

Florida - Miami - Daytona Beach

Indiana - Indianapolis - Muncie

North Carolina - Raleigh - Ashville

Wesconsin - Green Bay - Madison

Minnesota - Minneapolis - Rochester

Mississippi - Jackson - Hattiesburg

Alabama - Birmingham - Mobile

Michigan - Detroit - Ann Arbor

Virginia - Richmond - Charlottesville

Ohio - Cincinnatti - Columbus

Kansas - Witchita - Kansas City

Thats about all I can think of for now.
Lol Austin head of San Antonio and Dallas um no.

Old 04-11-2015, 01:29 PM

12,825 posts, read 22,003,919 times
I think Worcester is MA's second city. It's a hub of medical and educational institutions, it's centrally located (it's a common meeting place for statewide events), and it's more economically sound than Springfield. The case could be made for either, but I vote Worcester.

Old 04-11-2015, 01:38 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,165,810 times
Quote:
Yes, I'm aware, just poking fun at the Fort Worth homers.
Ah, well then carry on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City