U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Your favorite of the three?
Atlanta 46 38.33%
Miami 31 25.83%
Mexico City 43 35.83%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 06-01-2015, 01:41 PM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
9,086 posts, read 12,861,080 times
Reputation: 2908

Advertisements

Someones mad at me.Don't be mad cause you can't defend your stance.

 
Old 06-01-2015, 01:51 PM
 
Location: ITP - City of Atlanta Proper
7,794 posts, read 11,729,302 times
Reputation: 5394
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
The blind wouldn't really be seeing much of anything actually.

Even after rejiggering the numbers by getting rid of the two largest immigration groups (with the argument that these people left because they can no longer live in their own countries--pretty much a bunk argument because economic migrants are pretty much the vast bulk of US immigrants and have been since the beginning and would be applicable to almost all immigration groups in any city), you still have South Florida up ahead on this metric.

You're also playing with pretty unreasonable math in saying 20% of anything--20% of the metro or 20% of a small legal municipality? Again, bunk math. It doesn't matter because these specific immigration numbers mean fairly little in terms of the vastly larger immigration populations from elsewhere and the tallying of all the raw numbers in sum. It simply doesn't fit the kind of emphasis you're placing.

Now if you wanted to argue solely on global 500 companies or the like, then sure, that can obviously be in Atlanta's favor--so why not actually just argue along the lines which are actually solidly in Atlanta's favor? It doesn't really make much sense that you're throwing a conniption fit over something so obviously born out in the data and on the ground level.
I guess no matter how many times I was saying I was only talking about Miami, certain people will just assume I was talking about Atlanta...
 
Old 06-01-2015, 01:58 PM
 
Location: Miami Beach, FL/Tokyo, Japan
1,699 posts, read 1,479,810 times
Reputation: 699
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Dude from the beginning you made several false remarks about Atlanta starting with it being a population of 4 million and it went on from there.You know you guys have no leg to stand on.
Interesting, where did I say that? produce the post right now.
 
Old 06-01-2015, 02:03 PM
 
14,006 posts, read 21,961,418 times
Reputation: 4085
Atlanta is a solid city. No question. Good diverse economy, affordable housing, large middle class, upward mobility among its black population, a solid and VERY visible Korean community, a very large and rapidly growing West Indian community, a decent-sized Pan African community, and a B+ transit system in MARTA. But the amount of int'l eye candy one would see on South Beach on a day-to-day basis, can't be replicated. But I like Atlanta though. I love Gwinett in particular.
 
Old 06-01-2015, 03:32 PM
 
Location: East side - Metro ATL
1,325 posts, read 2,115,328 times
Reputation: 1197
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
Atlanta is a city with a metro of 4 million people. You will find a Brazilian there, a Turk there don't worry. But there is more diversity of foreign born in Miami here than Atlanta.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
Interesting, where did I say that? produce the post right now.
It was easy to find and I am not even in this nonsense.......(See Page 10).

My opinion is that Miami is very multicultural, has very beautiful people and the landscape is beautiful; however, Atlanta is multicultural too but not on the same level as Miami when it comes to diverse citizens.

Now, global business is another ball game. That is where Atlanta runs neck and neck with Miami while having a more diverse economy and a higher GDP.

Last edited by BeyondInfinity; 06-01-2015 at 03:42 PM..
 
Old 06-01-2015, 04:17 PM
 
Location: In the heights
20,115 posts, read 21,737,714 times
Reputation: 10216
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondInfinity View Post
It was easy to find and I am not even in this nonsense.......(See Page 10).

My opinion is that Miami is very multicultural, has very beautiful people and the landscape is beautiful; however, Atlanta is multicultural too but not on the same level as Miami when it comes to diverse citizens.

Now, global business is another ball game. That is where Atlanta runs neck and neck with Miami while having a more diverse economy and a higher GDP.
Yea, pretty much. Atlanta also has much better research universities, has a much more diverse economy (Miami is heavily lopsided towards tourism and real estate), and has a very large number of public sector jobs in multiple fields due to being the state capital, the regional headquarters of many federal institutions (US Court of Appeals and the Federal Reserve Bank for the Southeast US being the most notable), and the head office of federal institutions such as the CDC. These would be clean sweeps for Atlanta. Instead, what we see is endless nitpicking on something that is statistically well within Miami's favor. It seems pretty silly.
 
Old 06-01-2015, 04:18 PM
 
Location: In the heights
20,115 posts, read 21,737,714 times
Reputation: 10216
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Funny how that was not "bunk math" when you guys bring up Jamaican,Russian,Brazilian populations etc,.Those are large immigrating communities also.So its okay for Miami but not Atlanta to use?Tell me how its different?
Because it doesn't matter when you're looking at the bigger picture? Forest for the trees, guy.
 
Old 06-01-2015, 04:28 PM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
9,086 posts, read 12,861,080 times
Reputation: 2908
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Because it doesn't matter when you're looking at the bigger picture? Forest for the trees, guy.
B.S. and i exposed it.
 
Old 06-01-2015, 04:40 PM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
9,086 posts, read 12,861,080 times
Reputation: 2908
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Atlanta is a solid city. No question. Good diverse economy, affordable housing, large middle class, upward mobility among its black population, a solid and VERY visible Korean community, a very large and rapidly growing West Indian community, a decent-sized Pan African community, and a B+ transit system in MARTA. But the amount of int'l eye candy one would see on South Beach on a day-to-day basis, can't be replicated. But I like Atlanta though. I love Gwinett in particular.
I can see why some would think this way because Miami does have an International presence Atlanta does not have
Do you Think that presence in Miami with better than Chicago,D.C.,Boston,Houston,Dallas,Las Vegas,etc?Where is the cutoff?Atlanta?

In Atlanta not a day goes by I don't see Indians,Pakitani,Korean,Veitnamese,Nigerians,Ethio pian,setc.
These groups actually live in Atlanta as well as visit.Although visitation usually is more about business and family connections rather than mostly tourism in Miami's case.

Can you say the same thing about Miami other than the various Latin American and Europeans?When somebody proves this to me Ill shut up.
 
Old 06-01-2015, 04:43 PM
 
Location: In the heights
20,115 posts, read 21,737,714 times
Reputation: 10216
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
B.S. and i exposed it.
I would love to hear you try to explain this. The only way this is believable is if you didn't bother to actually read what was written, but just wanted to go on and on. That seems pretty likely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top