Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2016, 07:49 AM

4,010 posts, read 3,753,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Blacks in DC and Atlanta are being pushed out as well. Gentrification is the cause of all of this. Metro DC's black percentage has been decreasing, while Houston's has been increasing.

Now that I think about it, I do understand where you are coming from about us being pushed out, but sadly, that's happening almost everywhere. Hopefully, now that Houston has a black mayor, such things won't happen at a large scale. Parts of Third Ward near Grooves and north of Wheeler can stand a makeover though but with us included, BTW.
Name some neighborhoods in Atlanta where blacks are being pushed out because that is false. Now its more whites that have been moving into black areas but they arent pushing out blacks. Even intown where most of the growth is blacks arent being pushed out because they arent tearing downtown black areas and replacing them with other races. Most if the new developments are being built in parking lots. Now before and after the Olympics they got rid of the mostly black housing projects because of crime and most of those developments were replaced with more mid income apartments
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2016, 11:18 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,783,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post
Name some neighborhoods in Atlanta where blacks are being pushed out because that is false. Now its more whites that have been moving into black areas but they arent pushing out blacks. Even intown where most of the growth is blacks arent being pushed out because they arent tearing downtown black areas and replacing them with other races. Most if the new developments are being built in parking lots. Now before and after the Olympics they got rid of the mostly black housing projects because of crime and most of those developments were replaced with more mid income apartments
Isn't the City of Atlanta's black population decreasing?

Old 01-16-2016, 11:22 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Isn't the City of Atlanta's black population decreasing?
I'm not sure if the actual Black population is decreasing, but the share of the Black population (percentage) is certainly decreasing as more Whites move inside the city.

Old 01-16-2016, 11:24 AM

1,564 posts, read 1,671,973 times
I believe New York City has the highest African American Population in America,So why isn't it considered the Black Mecca ?

I know Harlem isnt a Black Culture hub like before but the city still has lots of great Black culture to it.

Old 01-16-2016, 11:39 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,576,544 times
no dig against new york but i always think of it as being a mostly caucasion city (not that thats bad); i put it in the same mind-share as boston in that regard.

i'm actually happy that what i thought would be the runaway conclusion (atlanta) isnt the consensus and this thread resulted in a hundred pages of thoughtful insite and statistics (with just a few pages of purposeful ignorance -- a rarity on c-d).

Old 01-16-2016, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
no dig against new york but i always think of it as being a mostly caucasion city.
Say WHAT????? NYC is majority minority....WOW.

Old 01-16-2016, 12:19 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,139,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe25 View Post
I believe New York City has the highest African American Population in America,So why isn't it considered the Black Mecca ?

I know Harlem isnt a Black Culture hub like before but the city still has lots of great Black culture to it.
Because it's based on percentage. Metro NYC has the highest black population in raw numbers, but it's percentage isn't higher than Atlanta, not even half if I recall. Atlanta has the 2nd highest black population in raw numbers, yet it's metro % is 34%. That's the difference.

Old 01-16-2016, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Because it's based on percentage. Metro NYC has the highest black population in raw numbers, but it's percentage isn't higher than Atlanta, not even half if I recall. Atlanta has the 2nd highest black population in raw numbers, yet it's metro % is 34%. That's the difference.
Mecca status is based on more than just percentage. Otherwise we'd have to declare Jackson or Memphis to be the true "Black meccas."

When it comes to sheer numbers, history, and culture, NYC is one of the top Black meccas in the country IMO.

Old 01-16-2016, 12:37 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
i've personally witnessed ignorance like "you dont like cauligreens ?; you aint black" or "you havent seen jumping the broom ?; are you sure your black ?". what makes cauligreens and jumping the broom blacker than griot and something like dancehall queen (or even enemy of the state) ? i understand what you mean by it being specifically an african-american thing but i read something recently (probably somewhere in c-d) that if current immigration trends continue, more than half of the black people in the usa will be caribbean/cape verdean/west african/... in the next 2 decades
That's hard to believe. The vast majority of black people in the US are American. You would see this if you leave the East Coast (where it's still mostly Black American).

Old 01-16-2016, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
That's hard to believe. The vast majority of black people in the US are American. You would see this if you leave the East Coast (where it's still mostly Black American).
Right. I completely disagree with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City