Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2015, 08:01 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,730,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
Dallas may be slightly less humid, but that advantage gets negated by the sheer heat in has compared to Houston. Less trees, less cloud-cover, and less rain in Dallas vs Houston means that Dallas has less factors to alleviate the heat than Houston. And in the end, Dallas has hotter average heat indices than Houston does. Look it up.
I did look it up:

Average Humidity Levels for Texas - Current Results

Dallas is not slightly less humid than Houston, its significantly less humid than Houston. Dallas is more comparable to Abilene than Houston in terms of humidity.

Dallas and Houston in summer are both miserable during the day. There is no doubt about that.

However, if you have spent any significant amount of time in Dallas and Houston, you would know that Dallas in summer is FAR more pleasant in the evening and early morning than Houston.

I agree with solitaire that you take the good with the bad. Houston's humidity allows it to have a lot more greenery than Dallas does. So there is that.

Last edited by Cowboys fan in Houston; 10-19-2015 at 08:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2015, 09:07 AM

2,995 posts, read 3,099,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
Dallas and Houston in summer are both miserable during the day. There is no doubt about that.
Yeah, both Dallas and Houston get really hot in the Summer. But it's the TYPE of heat that makes the difference. The thing is, if you have spent significant time in the South and are used to typical Southern summer heat, then Dallas heat really isn't that bad or hard to adjust to. But with Houston, unless you are used to GULF COAST summer heat with all its humidity, thick air, and mugginess, then you can easily walk outside and feel like somebody dumped a bucket of hot water all over you if you go to Houston during the summer. Even when the sun is down.

Quote:
However, if you have spent any significant amount of time in Dallas and Houston, you would know that Dallas in summer is FAR more pleasant in the evening and early morning than Houston.
This is true. Due to the humidity, Houston can feel hotter and stickier at night and in the early morning when the sun isn't even up than Dallas might feel in the middle of the afternoon. The heat is THAT different in Houston and the humidity is THAT much higher.

Last edited by NoClueWho; 10-19-2015 at 10:09 AM..

Old 10-19-2015, 10:07 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,769,052 times
I wish people would ban the word "FAR" when comparing stuff; it's over-exaggerating.

Old 10-19-2015, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
I wish people would ban the word "FAR" when comparing stuff; it's over-exaggerating.
Go spend some time up there in the summer, compare the difference at night (because we all acknowledge that both are hellacious during the day), and then get back to me.

Old 10-19-2015, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Go spend some time up there in the summer, compare the difference at night (because we all acknowledge that both are hellacious during the day), and then get back to me.
A hit dog will holla.

I'm from a hot state, so I'm use to humidity and heat; I don't like them, but I have to deal with them. Hot is hot to me.

Old 10-19-2015, 11:05 AM

574 posts, read 688,721 times
Houston, that city has really been growing on me lately, especially Midtown and Montrose. I would love to live there from November through March to escape the winter up north.

Old 10-19-2015, 11:18 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,516,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
Yeah, both Dallas and Houston get really hot in the Summer. But it's the TYPE of heat that makes the difference. The thing is, if you have spent significant time in the South and are used to typical Southern summer heat, then Dallas heat really isn't that bad or hard to adjust to. But with Houston, unless you are used to GULF COAST summer heat with all its humidity, thick air, and mugginess, then you can easily walk outside and feel like somebody dumped a bucket of hot water all over you if you go to Houston during the summer. Even when the sun is down.

This is true. Due to the humidity, Houston can feel hotter and stickier at night and in the early morning when the sun isn't even up than Dallas might feel in the middle of the afternoon. The heat is THAT different in Houston and the humidity is THAT much higher.
Agreed. Centex heat west of I-35 is about like Dallas. Didn't want to be outside during the day but the night was decent.

Old 10-19-2015, 11:25 AM

2,068 posts, read 2,921,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soletaire View Post
The SE breeze comes frome the sea, and therefore is a seabreeze that never directly contacts Houston. Your argument is meritless. And most of the daytime summer showers in Houston are brief and are the kind that do little more than drop more humidity on top of the already hot stagnant air.
And yet you still feel these SE winds in Houston; therefore, they do directly contact Houston. It's not as pronounced as in Galveston, no one denies that, but to say that Houston doesn't receive these breezes is also disingenuous. Your argument is still invalid.

How do you define brief? Even some of the super-soakers I describe can come and go quite fast. But, so far that they drop dramatic amounts of rain, and are accompanied by classic thunderstorm gust fronts (like most summer thunderstorms in Houston), the ambient conditions will cool down (as much as 20 degrees even), and the heat will be suppressed, lasting all the way to even past sundown.

Even the brief, less-than-a-minute showers, where not much rain falls, still provide the copious cloud cover that the blocks the rays of the sun from adding heat, providing relief from ambient conditions.

Quote:
I did look it up:

Average Humidity Levels for Texas - Current Results

Dallas is not slightly less humid than Houston, its significantly less humid than Houston. Dallas is more comparable to Abilene than Houston in terms of humidity.

I agree with solitaire that you take the good with the bad. Houston's humidity allows it to have a lot more greenery than Dallas does. So there is that.
Nope. While humidity levels during Houston's mornings/evenings are high, they are accompanied by the SE breezes from the Gulf, which provide enough relief to make for some very pleasant strolls, even during the hottest of days. Dallas doesn't really receive such alleviation to the same degree.

Also, I was referring to heat indices; the heat indices recorded in Dallas are higher than those in Houston, on average.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post

You aren't taking into account the fact that people used to Southern summers would also be used to the copious amounts of rain and cloud cover large parts of the region receive during the summer. A Dallas summer would be a stark transition to them compared to a Houston summer, in that regard.

Houston is warmer and stickier than Dallas at night, but unlike in Dallas, you will really feel the SE breezes coming in from the Gulf in Houston, to alleviate the conditions. The on-paper data charts do not take into account this effect, often times.

Old 10-19-2015, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
A hit dog will holla.

I'm from a hot state, so I'm use to humidity and heat; I don't like them, but I have to deal with them. Hot is hot to me.
Its not the same thought. Youre from Alabama which is also humid, so moving to Houston wont be an adjustment.

Im from LA originally. Dallas is a much easier adjustment (heat wise) than Houston for me.

Old 10-19-2015, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Its not the same thought. Youre from Alabama which is also humid, so moving to Houston wont be an adjustment.

Im from LA originally. Dallas is a much easier adjustment (heat wise) than Houston for me.
I know where I'm from.

I don't like heat, so if I'm hot, then I'm hot. It can be dry heat, muggy heat, hot heat, heat heat, etc. I'm still going to be hot.

The Houston heat is worse after it rains for 15 minutes while the sun is shining...typical Southern heat/weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City