Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Kansas City/St.Louis ve Charlotte/Raleigh
Kansas City/St.Louis 53 44.54%
Charlotte/Raleigh 59 49.58%
Equal/Tie 7 5.88%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2019, 03:56 PM

14,155 posts, read 9,043,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
I don’t think you know what albatross means in this context.
Maybe the analogy is not exact, but I'm not at all certain I don't.

Maybe if I called it "the cross the Deep South continues to bear" you'd be happier with the analogy?

African-Americans aren't flocking back to the Deep South as a whole. They're all headed for Atlanta, which I think proves my point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2019, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
Again, what makes you correct about this? Kansas City can't have good days again? New York was once prominent, and it still is. So I don't understand your logic that at one point a city was thriving, therefore it's all downhill from here......

Charlotte has a major airport, as does especially Atlanta, but most southern cities also don't have non-stop flights to Europe. However Kansas City IS in the process of completely rebuilding their airport and knocking down its current one (which IMO is the worst American airport I've ever been to in my life). I'd be willing to bet with a larger and significantly more modern airport, extended service to different countries will become a bigger possibility.

I don't at all see this "anti-southern" bias you speak of, outside of maybe the historic racial segregation/slavery by some. I hear nothing but praise about pretty much every NC city, Atlanta, Nashville, Chattanooga, Austin, Houston, Charleston.... the list goes on. The only cities that get some praise in the Midwest are Chicago and Minneapolis it seems. And even those cities get knocked immediately due to weather alone. If the south didn't have warm weather, I don't think it would be seeing as big of growth as it currently is.
I generally agree with your assessment here, and would go on to note that winterphobia is not a City-Data phenomenon but an American cultural one. But Southern winters are milder (and nonexistent on the Gulf Coast and from roughly Charleston south), so the people who consider winter an affront to their existence continue to flock there.

Actually, what accounts for the growth of the South (from Atlantic to Pacific) is air conditioning. That makes the hotter (and in many parts more humid) summers tolerable.

But I'd also say that Kansas City is actually something of a C-D darling too. It tends to get praised here to a greater degree than it does in the general discourse - though I do note that whenever The New York Times writes about goings-on there, it tends to be approvingly or (as in its recent article about this past week's mayoral election) with a tone of real concern for its well-being.

Old 06-23-2019, 06:40 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,843,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Maybe the analogy is not exact, but I'm not at all certain I don't.

Maybe if I called it "the cross the Deep South continues to bear" you'd be happier with the analogy?

African-Americans aren't flocking back to the Deep South as a whole. They're all headed for Atlanta, which I think proves my point.
I wasn’t sure you were still talking about the Deep South. In that particular post you had simply said South, so I was confused on what you were saying. Because obviously the Civil Rights Movement was a beneficial for most of the South. And in the context of Charlotte/Raleigh, obviously the trials and travails of Alabama of Mississippi is really not in play.

Old 06-23-2019, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
I wasn’t sure you were still talking about the Deep South. In that particular post you had simply said South, so I was confused on what you were saying. Because obviously the Civil Rights Movement was a beneficial for most of the South. And in the context of Charlotte/Raleigh, obviously the trials and travails of Alabama of Mississippi is really not in play.
North Carolina is indeed an interesting case. It had segregation, and the lunch-counter sit-ins took place in the state, but you could say that a "kinder, gentler" form of Jim Crow took hold there.

During Reconstruction, its then-largest city, Wilmington, actually had an integrated city government. The planter class saw to it that that government got extinguished in the 1890s.

It had a reputation for moderation in the 1950s, before the sit-ins.

Yet it also gave us Jesse Helms.

I understand the distinction you make, and the Upper South doesn't really bear the cross the way the Deep South does - and blacks are moving into North Carolina, from what I hear. (I did enjoy my visit to Durham to attend a friend's family reunion, and in the process, reconnected with a mutual friend who had moved to the Triangle from Philadelphia.)

But just as my native Missouri is not completely free of the stain, nor is Maryland (neither of these states I would consider Southern, even though the Mason-Dixon Line - the shorthand for the line separating North from South - is Maryland's northern border), neither is the Upper South.

Edited to add: But if I'm going to go there, then to be honest, neither is the rest of the country, as we are learning once again with each passing day.

Old 06-23-2019, 09:53 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,378,368 times
Quote:
North Carolina is indeed an interesting case. It had segregation, and the lunch-counter sit-ins took place in the state, but you could say that a "kinder, gentler" form of Jim Crow took hold there.

During Reconstruction, its then-largest city, Wilmington, actually had an integrated city government. The planter class saw to it that that government got extinguished in the 1890s.

I understand the distinction you make, and the Upper South doesn't really bear the cross the way the Deep South does - and blacks are moving into North Carolina, from what I hear. (I did enjoy my visit to Durham to attend a friend's family reunion, and in the process, reconnected with a mutual friend who had moved to the Triangle from Philadelphia.)

But just as my native Missouri is not completely free of the stain, nor is Maryland (neither of these states I would consider Southern, even though the Mason-Dixon Line - the shorthand for the line separating North from South - is Maryland's northern border), neither is the Upper South.

Edited to add: But if I'm going to go there, then to be honest, neither is the rest of the country, as we are learning once again with each passing day.
Yes that's the truth. At this point North Carolina feels more progressive. I like the direction the state is headed.

Old 06-24-2019, 09:19 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,921,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesarstl View Post
You seem to by trying to present your opinion as fact in a lot of your posts, and plenty of it is pretty off base. Out of curiosity, do you have any clue how the airline industry operates? Your comment above seems to show you don't, and you are trying to use something you're ignorant about as support for other things you're ignorant about...
Yes, I know the industry very well actually. I've been in it for over 20 years.

Old 06-24-2019, 10:45 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Yes that's the truth. At this point North Carolina feels more progressive. I like the direction the state is headed.
Ten years ago I would've agreed with you unequivocally but some notable backsliding has occurred since 2010.

Old 06-24-2019, 12:01 PM

1,271 posts, read 2,180,657 times
Quote:

There has been a lot of revisionist history in America. The first fallacy is that Slavery never happened in the North, when many Northern states ended slavery just a few decades before the Civil War. The second fallacy is that Jim Crow was something that just happened in the South, when there were sundown towns, redlining, segregation, lynching, and discriminatory laws throughout the North and West.

Old 06-24-2019, 02:51 PM

1,773 posts, read 2,673,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Yes, I know the industry very well actually. I've been in it for over 20 years.
O really? Then how about you elaborate on your claim. Is it like when you said this, "Charlotte has already surpassed St. Louis in almost every category, with Higher Ed being the exception." but then got called out and had to back peddle and say that you actually just meant in terms of commerce (also debatable) ?

If you're in the airline industry than what would you like to discuss to support your random claim? General O&D passenger numbers are fairly close (do you have current destination by destination numbers? business class breakdowns? etc?), so what are you trying to imply? You should know about how deregulation created the airline industry that we have today, the hub and spoke system and how the number 1 carrier in St. Louis (around 2/3rds of the flights) today came to be and how it affects this, the simple role of geography and flight distance, that St. Louis is bigger now by population and economy than when it had the global TWA hub with tons of transatlantic flights and was negotiating a Japan route; seriously, St. Louis could "support" all of these routes when it was smaller yet can't now huh? Or maybe it doesn't actually have that much at all to do directly with St. Louis or Charlotte and everything to do with the airline industry but you are using it to try and make a statement about the two of them anyway.

Old 06-24-2019, 02:58 PM

1,773 posts, read 2,673,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Ten years ago I would've agreed with you unequivocally but some notable backsliding has occurred since 2010.
Agreed for both states... and the US as a whole, plus quite a bit of the rest of the world...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City