Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2012, 10:30 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,947,647 times

Advertisements

Big fan of both. I do understand the rivalry/animosity thing though. I mean, LA was a dusty little Mexican outpost around 150 years ago and now look at it. It's one of the worlds largest and most influencial Megacities. Anyway, NYC and LA are IMO America's two most complete cities. They have the benefit of being on the coast, linked to powerfull and influencial continents via ocean. VERY diverse and unique. I really like both. I've always likend them to being two completely different styles of basically the same thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2012, 10:38 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,980,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotboy13 View Post
La is better i lived in NYC and la to many rude people in NYC i got into altercations on the trains late at night going to the Bronx and queens people aren't like that in La they dont try to act tough like the punks in NYC
LA isn't immune from it either

Old 12-19-2012, 09:55 PM

180 posts, read 327,830 times
NY has more than 2x the amount of people in the a smaller area than LA. With people living so close together there is bound to be more to do. While on the other hand you feel like you have so much room in LA. It really doesn't feel crowded at all.

I'm originally from Chicago and moved to LA and lived there over 20 years. What I hated about LA
1) is that they tend to demolish anything older than 20 years. The architecture is very boring.
2) The beautiful mountains in LA also help to keep the smog hovering over the city.
3) Traffic is horrible everywhere and at all times.
4) only 2 seasons. Summer - Fallish. I personally love the snow and the Fall with all it's color.
5) Horribly expensive to buy/rent everywhere!
6) The state that taxes you to hell. 1000 small taxes equal oppressive.

What I loved about LA
1) The beaches are some of the best!
2) The mountains are very close and offer great snowboarding opportunities.
3) Incredibly diverse.
4) Awesome national parks

I haven't lived in NY but it's a place I'd love to try. I personally like the architecture and the history of the city (and east coast in general). I just don't know that I would like be in such a crowded place. I loved the peace and quite I found in CA.

If you feel the needed to be around people all the time and bombarded by external stimui NY is probably the place for you.

Old 12-21-2012, 08:47 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,273,120 times
I found New York to be a much more impressive city, but living there is hard no matter how you swing it.

LA is a more pleasant place, and the living is less hectic and is comparatively cheaper. Its architecture sucks, but it makes up for it tenfold in topography/landscaping (unrivaled, imho).

Old 12-21-2012, 09:05 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
LA isn't immune from it either
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pO3hNjYCtwc

This video is better

Not so much the fight but the amount of random stuff going on.

Old 12-21-2012, 09:26 PM

180 posts, read 327,830 times
who rides the train in LA? lolol

Old 12-21-2012, 09:39 PM

520 posts, read 597,217 times
guitarguy, I'm sure you've heard the line....the two worst places to move to as a guitar player are NYC and LA...

Old 12-21-2012, 10:28 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,858,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy1685 View Post
who rides the train in LA? lolol
I do! Lots of people do, actually.

Old 12-22-2012, 12:24 AM

669 posts, read 1,273,913 times
NYC all the way for me and not just because I'm from there but because of the urban lifestyle, the walkability, the vibrancy, interaction with ppl, sense of truly experiencing or being a part of the city, the culture is unmatched in this country, and the diversity(I know LA is diverse but NY has a larger variation of ppl)

I don't like the dependence on the car that LA offers and the more suburban living not only is less vibrant and alive but it's so much less sustainable creating a city based on the car LA was literally developed for the automobile not the pedestrian and I don't like that.

City planners now see the flaws in that design which the NY area's deserves a lot of blame for because even though NYC is the model for urbanity our suburbs set a precedent for an unsustainable style of living thats only seen here in America within the Sunbelt. Thats why all urban planning right now is about density, walkability, mass transit, and sustainability.

But thats not to say that LA isn't a great city world city that has a lot to offer but NYC is the most powerful, wealthy, and influential city in the world with London being NY's only rival honestly in the world. This is the center of finance, international politics, media, art, fashion, cuisine, and theater. Plus we have a way larger and more diverse nightlife scene that stays open way later and it's so much better to bar hop when you can use are expansive transit system.

The most diverse place in the world Queens is located within NY, LA is a very diverse city as well but not on the same level of variations that NY has. The hispanic population in LA is overwhelmingly dominated by Mexicans, while here yea Puerto Ricans and Dominicans are our largest group but we have more equal percentages of South/Central Americans and Mexicans. Also LA's black population is diminishing rapidly and it is not diverse at all like NY with ppl from all those Caribbean islands and African countries mixed in with the large African American population living here. We have more South Asians and Middle Easterners here and I don't even need to get into a topic about how diverse NYC's white population especially with the influx of Russians and other Eastern Europeans flooding in. LA does have a more diverse Asian population though but but NYC is still in the top 3 with LA and the Bay area when it comes to the Asians.

LA does have us beat when it comes to the natural beauty within your city, and as far as beautiful women thats very subjective because to me the most beautiful women are Mediterraneans, Puerto Ricans, Dominicans, Brazilians, Colombians, Trinidadians, and Guyanese and NYC has the largest population and concentration of those women in the country.

We have better architecture but LA has better landscapes.

Last edited by joshd9124; 12-22-2012 at 12:55 AM..

Old 12-22-2012, 01:46 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,273,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Fingers View Post
guitarguy, I'm sure you've heard the line....the two worst places to move to as a guitar player are NYC and LA...
LA guitar players +1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City