Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 04:44 PM

10,105 posts, read 14,972,719 times

Advertisements

NYC is better than LA. There, I said it.

I mean, yes, LA has much better weather and even the scenery, although at times can be monotonous, is much better in the western metropolis, but NYC beats LA in everything else. At least in the things that really matters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2012, 05:25 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,948,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio84 View Post
NYC is better than LA. There, I said it.

I mean, yes, LA has much better weather and even the scenery, although at times can be monotonous, is much better in the western metropolis, but NYC beats LA in everything else. At least in the things that really matters.
lol Not directed at you but, your post reminds me of how arrogant people from the North East come off when they try and "tell" us about OUR city. So what "really matters"? It would seem that the New Yorker and the Angeleno posess to EXTREMELY different attitudes when it comes to comparing their cities. The New Yorker seems to want to impress to EVERYBODY how their city is the center of the universe and how aliens from distant galaxies travel millions of light years just to see Times Square. Meanwhile the Angeleno isn't constantly consumed with boasting to everybody on planet earth about how great they think LA is. And here's a crazy idea: we know LA isn't perfect, and we are OKAY WITH THAT. I'm sure people in London, Paris, Rome, Istanbul, Cairo, Warsaw, Naples, Madrid, Moscow...etc you know, people from cities with MUCH MUCH MUCH more to brag about would have something to say in response to the New Yorker's boastfulness. Or maybe they don't, perhaps they posess that little thing called PERSPECTIVE. The sheer narcissism of many NYC boosters grates to no end but it's blasphemy to oppose it. They call Los Angeles an immigrant cesspool. Wasn't it immigrants that BUILT New York? They call Los Angeles sprawly and suburban, but NYC sprawls into 3 states and occupies a footprint TWICE the size of LA's. They say LA has no culture yet there are more cultural institutions per capita in Los Angeles than anywhere on earth. Those of us who appreciate Americas 2nd Largest city can't be held accountable for the lack of imagination the NYC camp has to think outside the box. No NYC and LA don't look like each other, that doesn't mean they aren't still similar. It's my understanding that WE AMERICANS have much to appreciate in our nation's two greatest metropolises. Instead some will disregard this post as fanatical and others will respond by posting a bunch of worthless youtube videos showing some intersection in Brooklyn....oh well. At least I tried

Old 12-22-2012, 05:42 PM

37,157 posts, read 39,418,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB8abovetherim View Post
lol Not directed at you but, your post reminds me of how arrogant people from the North East come off when they try and "tell" us about OUR city. So what "really matters"? It would seem that the New Yorker and the Angeleno posess to EXTREMELY different attitudes when it comes to comparing their cities. The New Yorker seems to want to impress to EVERYBODY how their city is the center of the universe and how aliens from distant galaxies travel millions of light years just to see Times Square. Meanwhile the Angeleno isn't constantly consumed with boasting to everybody on planet earth about how great they think LA is. And here's a crazy idea: we know LA isn't perfect, and we are OKAY WITH THAT. I'm sure people in London, Paris, Rome, Istanbul, Cairo, Warsaw, Naples, Madrid, Moscow...etc you know, people from cities with MUCH MUCH MUCH more to brag about would have something to say in response to the New Yorker's boastfulness. Or maybe they don't, perhaps they posess that little thing called PERSPECTIVE. The sheer narcissism of many NYC boosters grates to no end but it's blasphemy to oppose it. They call Los Angeles an immigrant cesspool. Wasn't it immigrants that BUILT New York? They call Los Angeles sprawly and suburban, but NYC sprawls into 3 states and occupies a footprint TWICE the size of LA's. They say LA has no culture yet there are more cultural institutions per capita in Los Angeles than anywhere on earth. Those of us who appreciate Americas 2nd Largest city can't be held accountable for the lack of imagination the NYC camp has to think outside the box. No NYC and LA don't look like each other, that doesn't mean they aren't still similar. It's my understanding that WE AMERICANS have much to appreciate in our nation's two greatest metropolises. Instead some will disregard this post as fanatical and others will respond by posting a bunch of worthless youtube videos showing some intersection in Brooklyn....oh well. At least I tried
What you described was pretty obvious in boosters from both sides. The important thing is you guys are dumb.

Old 12-22-2012, 08:42 PM

10,105 posts, read 14,972,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB8abovetherim View Post
That's all handy dandy, but this thread is about NYC and LA, and the natural course of things is for some people to be pro-NYC and some other people to be pro-LA.

Lets put the fanaticism aside and see reality.

New York City is a world city. Only London, yes, London can see NYC eye-to-eye. That's it. Naturally, by NYC standards LA is not a world city. There's even a study about this: GaWC - The World According to GaWC 2010

Do you see where NYC ranks?

Yes, second place worldwide and its only one of two cities in the whole world considered Alpha ++. That's the top of the top.

Where does LA stands? In 17th place!

Lets keep the passion out of this and recognize that 17th place is not bad compared to most cities in the world. But lets not overlook the fact that not only is LA below London and NYC, its also below cities such as Chicago (what a slap), Dubai (these people were living in mud huts a mere 50 years ago!!!), Beijing (and these were suffering a famine!!!), Toronto, and Sao Paulo. Even Mumbai, with most of its population living in cramped and smelly slums, fared better than LA.

With this reality, are you sure that the problem is arrogance from north-easterners and not an inferiority complex from everyone else? Facts are facts and repeating them doesn't makes anyone arrogant, but being bothered by them... well, for the sake of peace on earth, lets leave it at that.

Last edited by AntonioR; 12-22-2012 at 08:52 PM..

Old 12-22-2012, 10:54 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,246,328 times
2nd place, 17th place, 50th place. Does it really matter what city can look another one eye to eye? Citizens of both cities really don't think of things like that. Me as an LA resident just want to live in a city that has lots to offer and that I enjoy and LA is that city. I love both cities but my heart is in LA.

Old 12-22-2012, 11:25 PM

669 posts, read 1,274,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio84 View Post
That's all handy dandy, but this thread is about NYC and LA, and the natural course of things is for some people to be pro-NYC and some other people to be pro-LA.

Lets put the fanaticism aside and see reality.

New York City is a world city. Only London, yes, London can see NYC eye-to-eye. That's it. Naturally, by NYC standards LA is not a world city. There's even a study about this: GaWC - The World According to GaWC 2010

Do you see where NYC ranks?

Yes, second place worldwide and its only one of two cities in the whole world considered Alpha ++. That's the top of the top.

Where does LA stands? In 17th place!

Lets keep the passion out of this and recognize that 17th place is not bad compared to most cities in the world. But lets not overlook the fact that not only is LA below London and NYC, its also below cities such as Chicago (what a slap), Dubai (these people were living in mud huts a mere 50 years ago!!!), Beijing (and these were suffering a famine!!!), Toronto, and Sao Paulo. Even Mumbai, with most of its population living in cramped and smelly slums, fared better than LA.

With this reality, are you sure that the problem is arrogance from north-easterners and not an inferiority complex from everyone else? Facts are facts and repeating them doesn't makes anyone arrogant, but being bothered by them... well, for the sake of peace on earth, lets leave it at that.
NYC and London switch between 1 and 2 according to different world city rankings with NYC coming out on top in 3 out of the 5 global city ranking's, and the on you posted actually doesn't have London listed as number 1 it's just going in alphabetical order.

Global city - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you prefer to live in LA and just like it better that's all subjective but when it comes to the greatness of a city thats actually measured by influence, power, culture, etc NYC is way ahead of the rest of America.

Old 12-22-2012, 11:29 PM

2 posts, read 2,403 times
I've lived in both and I can truly say both have advantages and disadvantages. NYC wins me over though, easy to get around and people are plain friendlier. LA's "downtown" is a joke, people are always drunk driving and they are rude. Not my place!

Old 12-22-2012, 11:31 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,981,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pO3hNjYCtwc

This video is better

Not so much the fight but the amount of random stuff going on.
Yeah, saw the singing lady video. Hilarious

Old 12-22-2012, 11:48 PM

520 posts, read 597,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by git45 View Post
LA guitar players +1
Totally! Especially one of my all time heroes, Lee Ritenour - hence my nickname..

Old 12-23-2012, 12:12 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,246,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshd9124 View Post

If you prefer to live in LA and just like it better that's all subjective but when it comes to the greatness of a city thats actually measured by influence, power, culture, etc NYC is way ahead of the rest of America.
It's subjective but most important to the millions that live here or there. Power, influence, I don't think so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City