Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2009, 07:14 PM

37,153 posts, read 39,418,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I have to disagree. You throw out Houston as if Oil/Energy/Ports are nothing. Houston could easily compete for top 5; it's not as clear cut as your making it.
I don't throw out Oil/Energy/Ports as if they're nothing--that's why Houston would be a shoe-in for a larger list.

There are various metrics by which Houston would beat out some of the other cities/metros, but overall (which is what I assume we're discussing when we talk about "most important cities) the top 5 I mentioned are almost undoubtedly some of the biggest due to name recognition around the world and in the States, and with the exception of DC, the largest US metros with NYC, LA, and CHI by fairly large margins. Which of the 5 I mentioned do you feel Houston beats out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2009, 07:24 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,801,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
It's really just all individual opinion...you may think that Philadelphia and San Francisco are tied for the 5 spot, I may think that it's Houston and Dallas. The next guy may thing it's Boston and Dallas. There is no real "proof" that any one of those cities should be a lock for 5th, but a case could be made for each of these cities.
Thank you.You summed it up perfect.I just think I get irritated when some others without much thought ,rule out. and say the city they are "representing" over all others without looking or knowing anything about the other cities and why.

Old 10-15-2009, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
I would think that Houston and Boston are pretty-well locked up in a battle for the 6th spot. It could go either way really. I would think Philly/Dallas/Atlanta would come after them in whichever order. I don't think Miami belongs in the Top 10 by any stretch.
Miami/South Florida should be an arguable case in the top 10/11 since it has such a huge population (7th or 8th largest) and a correspondingly big GDP. Added to that is its distinctiveness within the US, popularity among both domestic and foreign visitors, strong financial services industry, and strong ties to Hispanic communities both within and outside the US.

Old 10-15-2009, 07:39 PM

254 posts, read 693,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Thank you.You summed it up perfect.I just think I get irritated when some others without much thought ,rule out. and say the city they are "representing" over all others without looking or knowing anything about the other cities and why.
I think we are finally reaching some sort of consensus. It's a very subjective topic. Too people living in certain regions, of course the larger/largest metros of that particular region are going to be the most important to them respectively, than some other larger metro that's clear across the country.

Old 10-15-2009, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Why not Boston and San Fran?Or Houston and San Fran?Why not Dallas?What does Boston have that makes it more imortant than Houston?Why would it(Boston) even be a consideration for a top 5.Can we not live without Harvard or MIT?Don't say GDP because none of these cities is so much greater in(from each other) gdp that it would have as much of an impact like say NYC would in the country?
He's talking about a 6th spot, not an inclusion into the top 5. We can certainly live without Harvard or MIT, but we can easily live without any single particular institution as it's easy to imagine another similar institution taking its place.

Old 10-15-2009, 09:55 PM

259 posts, read 543,526 times
Sorry its not about opinion...my reason for saying this is because a criteria was given or a reference point"on a national scale" now does your city offer anything beneficial to this nation that other cities dont or to a greater degree than other cities

Old 10-15-2009, 10:00 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,812,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truthfully19 View Post
Sorry its not about opinion...my reason for saying this is because a criteria was given or a reference point"on a national scale" now does your city offer anything beneficial to this nation that other cities dont or to a greater degree than other cities
The first 4 cities aren't really up for debate - I can agree with that. But the 5th spot has been debated throughout this thread and there is A LOT of different opinions about which city it should be and why. Several cities could be considered for that last spot, and I don't think that there is a definitive choice because they are all so close.

So it is about opinion, unless someone can make a factual case that proves which city belongs beyond the shadow of a doubt. I haven't seen anyone do that as of yet.

Old 10-16-2009, 01:19 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,463,319 times
Quote:
Why not Boston and San Fran?Or Houston and San Fran?Why not Dallas?What does Boston have that makes it more imortant than Houston?Why would it(Boston) even be a consideration for a top 5.Can we not live without Harvard or MIT?Don't say GDP because none of these cities is so much greater in(from each other) gdp that it would have as much of an impact like say NYC would in the country?
Well I'm going to try to explain myself at 3am...so I call if I wake up in the morning and regret what I type, I get a second chance! Agree? Ok, I'll take that as a "yes" .

While sarcastically asking whether or not the United States could live without Boston, you mention Harvard and MIT. Well we're talking about national importance, so why not mention the fact that our current president and prior president were both educated at Harvard. Just take a look at Harvard Graduates and how about some guys who didn't quite graduate from Harvard. Whether its US Presidents, foreign presidents, other foreign/local government leaders, or the founders or CEOs of major companies, Harvard has a profound impact...both domestic and foreign. I will need a confirming source from fellow forumer MattCind, but if you combined all the companies founded by MIT graduates, you would have one of the Top 20 Economic Powers on the planet...not too shabby eh? But enough about the two best institutions of higher learning on the planet! You must be getting bored! Let's talk about why Boston is important in other areas!

Let's talk about the Financial Services industry. Boston could arguably be the top Mutual Fund city on the planet considering we're home to MFS, Putnam Investments, Fidelity, State Street Global Advisors, and John Hancock. Not to mention we're the third most powerful Private Equity city on the entire planet behind only New York City and London. State Street Global Advisors also happens to be the second largest money manager on the entire planet, with over $1.7 Trillion under management. Earlier this year Boston was named the #9 Global Financial Centre on the planet by the City of London Corporation. Unfortunately for us, in the second half of the year they have us ranked as the #17 most important financial centre on the planet, tied with San Francisco. It's disappointing to see the drop, but hopefully we'll rebound for the first half of 2010

What about healthcare? Boston is easily the #1 healthcare city in the nation, and could arguably one of the best, if not the best medical research city on the planet. Research hospitals like Dana Farber, Brigham & Womens, Mass General, and Beth Israel headline a list of top-notch medical institutions in Boston which help not only our region, but the entire country and planet.

Boston's power in the Life Sciences industry is undeniable. First off, the Milken Institute rates Boston as the #1 life science cluster in the entire nation. Also, the NIH (National Institutes of Health) gives more funding to Boston than any other city in the entire country. There's a reason Novartis, the highest revenue Pharmaceutical company on the planet, decided to put their World Research Headquarters in Boston. Not to mention other top biotech companies like Biogen Idec, Genzyme, Millennium Pharmaceuticals, Boston Scientific, and the main Pharma labs of Chicago-based Abbott Laboratories.

Boston also has the fourth highest number of high-tech jobs in the nation behind SF, NYC, and DC. Not too shabby.l

I need sleep, back to prove more in the morning if this wasn't enough to convince you why we're easily a top 5, 6 candidate.

Old 10-16-2009, 10:27 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,463,319 times
Wow, I'm surprised I made any sense in that post...I don't really remember typing it haha.

Old 10-16-2009, 10:46 AM

793 posts, read 1,453,603 times
Good post Tmac, just to piggy back on your thoughts I do not have a source for the Top 20 MIT business portion, but I do remember reading the same article (I believe it was in the Economist)

Also according to the Economist 1/3rd of all Venture Capital spending goes to two areas Silicon Valley and Boston.

Here is an interesting article about how far the gap is as far as NIH funding is concerned between Boston and the rest of the nation. Boston has held this position for 6 years straight:
http://www.bostonredevelopmentauthor...//pdr_00-4.pdf

As far as Health Care delivery is concerned, Boston is the only city to have two Hospitals ranked on the US News Honor Roll (Top 10 Hospitals in the country) America's Best Hospitals: the 2009–10 Honor Roll - US News and World Report

Boston is also the Premier Health Insurance Industry city as well, Massachusetts based Health Plans:

Commercial- 3 Plans in the top 10: America's Best Hospitals: the 2009–10 Honor Roll - US News and World Report

Medicare- 2 Plans in the Top 10:
Best Health Plans Search - US News and World Report

Medicaid - 2 Plans in Top 10:
Best Health Plans Search - US News and World Report

So in addition to being the Education Capital of America (arguably the world) it is also the Research and Health Care capital of the country (once again arguably the world).

Keep in mind that Healthcare expenditures make up 1/6th of our entire countries economy, so the leader (Boston) is that category must have some influence over the nation as a whole.

Also consider that once Health Care reform passes this year, most other Health Care systems will be learning on the fly how to deal with new regulations that they did not have at the state Level before. Massachusetts has had a Universal Health Care law in effect since 2006, so our Health Care systems have still remained at the top of the country even when dealing with a new law in place, once reform passes we will we a mile ahead of other systems around the country and the gap will extend even wider.

Combined that with being the number 3 Finance center in the country after NYC and Chicago and you have quite the powerhouse.

With that being said I will stand by my post earlier which said that the top 5 are (NYC, LA, DC, Chicago and SF) Boston is firmly planted at number 6 and the only other city that can make a case is Houston imo, Atlanta does not even come close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City