U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-12-2009, 09:43 PM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
9,086 posts, read 13,236,360 times
Reputation: 2929

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
Sit down... or Stand Up if you are sitting.

and while you are sitting or standing, pick up a dictionary and look up NATIONAL and SCALE.

at this rate, the thread will be closed soon.
So I guess if someone says 5 most important cities on a southern scale,would that be Charleston,Nashville or Savannah?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-12-2009, 09:45 PM
 
Location: New Orleans, United States
4,230 posts, read 9,101,020 times
Reputation: 1405
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
So I guess if someone says 5 most important cities on a southern scale,would that be Charleston,Nashville or Savannah?
No, then I would say Atlanta (media), Miami (finance) and Houston (oil).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2009, 10:23 PM
 
Location: Underneath the Pecan Tree
15,989 posts, read 30,569,741 times
Reputation: 7259
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
You obviously cannot comprehend the fact that Global cities are what are the most important types of cities.Think about it.NYC,Boston,Chicago,D.C. all have strong international connections.I have a number to a doctor that sopecializes in Footinmouth Disease Syndrome.If you would like the info its no problem to get you fixed up right away!
Ce n'est pas grave
Or he can just take a trip to TMC (World's largest Medical Center!) and get that problem fixed right away
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2009, 10:25 PM
 
Location: Manhattan
1,168 posts, read 2,522,931 times
Reputation: 1354
personally, I think there are seven cities that belong on this list:

1. New York City - Largest city, NYSE, the UN, economic, cultural, & intellectual hub of America
2. Los Angeles - 2nd largest city, Hollywood, center of pop culture
3. Washington, DC - Center of government and politics
4. Boston - Academic hub of the world - Harvard, MIT, Tufts, Boston College, Wellesley, etc.
5. Chicago - 3rd largest city, economic, cultural and intellectual hub of the Midwest
6. San Francisco/San Jose Bay Area - The silicon valley, influential progressive politics
7. Dallas - rapidly growing prominence in the finance and high-tech industry, large oil industry.

Honorable Mentions: Atlanta, Houston, Miami
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2009, 10:29 PM
 
Location: Underneath the Pecan Tree
15,989 posts, read 30,569,741 times
Reputation: 7259
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayp1188 View Post
personally, I think there are seven cities that belong on this list:

1. New York City - Largest city, NYSE, the UN, economic, cultural, & intellectual hub of America
2. Los Angeles - 2nd largest city, Hollywood, center of pop culture
3. Washington, DC - Center of government and politics
4. Boston - Academic hub of the world - Harvard, MIT, Tufts, Boston College, Wellesley, etc.
5. Chicago - 3rd largest city, economic, cultural and intellectual hub of the Midwest
6. San Francisco/San Jose Bay Area - The silicon valley, influential progressive politics
7. Dallas - rapidly growing prominence in the finance and high-tech industry, large oil industry.

Honorable Mentions: Atlanta, Houston, Miami
Uh....No. Houston has a larger oil industry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2009, 10:29 PM
 
Location: New Orleans, United States
4,230 posts, read 9,101,020 times
Reputation: 1405
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Or he can just take a trip to TMC (World's largest Medical Center!) and get that problem fixed right away
Good heads up Jluke. I'll just get in my car (which runs on oil), put in a Z-Ro CD (made from plastic, which comes from oil), hit the I-10 (paved with asphalt made from oil) and I'll be on 288 (paved with cement trucks that ran on oil) in the next 4 hours.

Last edited by WestbankNOLA; 10-12-2009 at 10:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2009, 10:35 PM
 
Location: Manhattan
1,168 posts, read 2,522,931 times
Reputation: 1354
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Uh....No. Houston has a larger oil industry.
Uh...I never said Dallas had a larger oil industry than Houston. I said Dallas has a large oil industry, which is absolutely correct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2009, 10:38 PM
 
Location: Underneath the Pecan Tree
15,989 posts, read 30,569,741 times
Reputation: 7259
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayp1188 View Post
Uh...I never said Dallas had a larger oil industry than Houston. I said Dallas has a large oil industry, which is absolutely correct.
It's not the largest. It's not even a top city for Technology or Finance either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2009, 10:40 PM
 
Location: Willowbend/Houston
13,403 posts, read 21,086,636 times
Reputation: 10277
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
It's not the largest. It's not even a top city for Technology or Finance either.
Yes it sure is. Its not THE top city for finance or technology but its definately got a very larger presence for both. Just like its not THE city for oil and energy, but it definately exists here. Dallas is an all around city. Houston throws all its eggs into a couple of baskets. Dallas wont ever be as large as Houston in oil and medicine, but Dallas has more industires with a presence here.

Dallas is easily the most underrated city and MSA and least respected for what it is on this forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2009, 10:48 PM
 
Location: Manhattan
1,168 posts, read 2,522,931 times
Reputation: 1354
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
It's not the largest. It's not even a top city for Technology or Finance either.
I don't know if you have issues with reading English or something, but I never said it was the largest. Dallas has a large (meaning large, not largest, just in case you are still confused jluke) prominence in the oil, technology, and finance industries which is why it is one of the most important cities in America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top