Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2009, 03:55 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,565,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
Now on to the last part of your post. Please explain how Florida became the 4th most populous state that is aimed to overtake NY for 3rd if no one wants to be here. The year is 2009 not the 1600 or 1700's.
Florida should be one of the most populated states considering its size. The majority of the state is still empty and not densly populated at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2009, 04:03 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,648,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
Yea because its skewed by the rich people that move there as a tax shelter. You know very well that Florida is known for its low wages. Of course as a realtor I would not expect you to say different.
And the Wall Street traders with multi million dollar bonuses don't skew NY numbers?

I try and post facts not throw unquantifiable varibles in the mix.

Also I was an area manager for a chemical company at one time in NY. After I moved to Florida I took a job with another chemical company as an area manager and was making more.
They job was only 4 years later and in Florida so it is not as if cost of living increases would have pushed it higher.

I use this as an example not to try and justify anything like, "rich people that move here for a tax shelter".

One other thing, the "he is a realtor so he must be lying" shtick is getting old.

Old 06-27-2009, 04:05 PM

1,782 posts, read 3,942,377 times
Quote:
Florida should be one of the most populated states considering its size. The majority of the state is still empty and not densly populated at all.
Uhh....where is that logic coming from? Florida IS one of the most populated states...#4. FL will overtake NY soon, and the other two states that are more populated are FAR bigger in land area than FL (CA and TX).

Georgia is larger than Florida.... why isn't that as populated? So is Arizona, New Mexico, Montana, Wyoming and a lot of other states.

Old 06-27-2009, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Density is not a great thing even though some may think so.

I am very happy having some acreage to live on and 30,000 acres of preserve right down the street.

Old 06-27-2009, 04:06 PM

258 posts, read 325,602 times
Sounds like I hit a chord. You've proven you can breath for parts of five weeks last year, problem is there is 52 weeks in a year. As for your population analogy Mexico City is the most populated city in North America, are your bags packed?? Other than standing on a beach Florida is the ugliest land on earth, New York is about the nicest. Ever been to the Catskills, the Adirondacks, Niagra Falls, Lake Placid, the Hamptons, the Finger Lakes, stood on the shores of Lake Champlain, hiked 5400 foot Mt. Marcy, compare those spots to that mosquito, gator, snake infested swampland that Disney bought for $4 an acres. Compared the Museums restaurants and cultore in NYC to Orlando lately??? It's a similar comparison. Only 7 more months until your five days of temperature in the 40's, better make sure you have lots of batteries for your remote.

Quote:
Jan 14th to Jan 23rd 8 out of 10 days averaged in the 30's or 40's
Average for the month was only 55

Jan 12th to 24th lows were in the 20's,30's,40's

5 out of the first 6 days in Feb averaged in the 40's
Average for the month was 56

Jan 30th to Feb 10th lows in the 20's,30's,40's except for one day

But all that is neither here nor there. You are trying to telling everyone when and how they are comfortable. Nice try but it doesn't work that way.

You don't like heat, I understand that but I also know that I really don't give a sh*t what you like. I don't like the cold and anytime it gets below 50 I am not happy.

Now on to the last part of your post. Please explain how Florida became the 4th most populous state that is aimed to overtake NY for 3rd if no one wants to be here. The year is 2009 not the 1600 or 1700's.

Old 06-27-2009, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by History Rules View Post
Sounds like I hit a chord. You've proven you can breath for parts of five weeks last year, problem is there is 52 weeks in a year. As for your population analogy Mexico City is the most populated city in North America, are your bags packed?? Other than standing on a beach Florida is the ugliest land on earth, New York is about the nicest. Ever been to the Catskills, the Adirondacks, Niagra Falls, Lake Placid, the Hamptons, the Finger Lakes, stood on the shores of Lake Champlain, hiked 5400 foot Mt. Marcy, compare those spots to that mosquito, gator, snake infested swampland that Disney bought for $4 an acres. Compared the Museums restaurants and cultore in NYC to Orlando lately??? It's a similar comparison. Only 7 more months until your five days of temperature in the 40's, better make sure you have lots of batteries for your remote.
I guess you may have hit a chord. It is probably because you have been told the same thing over and over and over again and still don't get it. I will put it in one sentence for you and see if you can figure it out.

NOT EVERYONE LIKES WHAT YOU LIKE.

I can breathe quite comfortably all 52 weeks of the year. If it gets too cold I head further south for a week or so.

I have backpacked all over NY, been to the museums in the city, eaten in restaurants all over NY and yet I am in Florida. This tells us something.

SOME PEOPLE PREFER FLORIDA.

So pretty simple but I will repeat for you.

NOT EVERYONE LIKES WHAT YOU LIKE.

SOME PEOPLE PREFER FLORIDA.

Old 06-27-2009, 04:36 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,565,938 times
Quote:
Density is not a great thing even though some may think so.
You are correct, I think density builds character and community and is great for the enviroment.

Old 06-27-2009, 05:29 PM

2,413 posts, read 5,751,109 times
Quote:
Dont worry the worlds largest Confederate flag will be safe in Tampa and continue to fly proudly.
I must be getting under your skin for your to pull that up even thought it has nothing to do with the conversation. Do you expect that to upset me?

Old 06-27-2009, 05:31 PM

Quote:
It was a act of charity. Us Northeasterners had money and tried to help you Floridians. Can you imagine Florida's living conditions if it was not for Northeasterners, they would be living in shambles.
That make no sence whatsoever. I guess all those northeners that live here are doing it becasue they fells bad for us. You are obviously running out of things to say becasue you are making up some stupid claims.

Old 06-27-2009, 05:33 PM

Quote:
uh, that is a good thing . Thank god we are not New Jersey
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City