Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you rather be in the Metroplex?
Dallas 108 56.84%
Fort Worth 82 43.16%
Voters: 190. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 06:02 PM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,612 posts, read 22,914,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
^^^^^No....thats just the reality that I get when I go to downTown Ft.Worth...I did say DTFW was cool...but i just dont think its as good as FtW people want people to think...Of course its quite busy at times but it seems staged..Absolutely no night-life..the resturants are good,but not that unique....I think Dtd is just in a different league thats all.
Let's not get into which downtown's better. I've been to both (on weekends), and it's just like night and day. And more than likely it's not the comparison you think....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2010, 12:16 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,977,918 times
Fort Worth

Old 07-12-2010, 03:45 PM

996 posts, read 1,898,250 times
Fort Worth, it's smaller, and more conservative. But, of course both are excellent cities.

Old 09-09-2011, 12:21 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,967,780 times
Interesting that these cities are so evenly tied

Old 09-09-2011, 02:02 PM

10,755 posts, read 23,836,665 times
I went to DFW for a visit back in 2010. I Have to say I wish I had booked my hotel in downtown Fort Worth instead of Downtown Dallas. On a gorgeous 80 degree day on a Saturday DT Dallas was dead. Dallas has a beautiful skyline/financial district, and a few good museums but not very stimulating to walk around. Cruising around North Dallas was fun, gawking at the wealthy neighborhoods, giant freeways, and Turtle Creek/Oak Lawn was nice, Uptown was OK. That said I thought downtown Fort Worth was more engaging to walk around, more to do at night, and a bit friendlier (IMO). With the Stockyards up the road (yeah I know touristy, but hey I was a tourist), Fort Worth was the quintessential Texas city I had in mind before coming to the Metroplex. If I ever went back I'd book a hotel in downtown Fort Worth for sure.

Old 09-09-2011, 05:54 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,308,925 times
I appreciate the downtown vibe FW has developed and there are some very nice museums in that city, but I don't understand how people get hung up on the whole "FW downtown is busy, Dallas' isn't thing:?
Yes, FW has a busier downtown on weekends, but thats because its the main area to go out other than the stockyards. Dallas has many different neighborhoods with nightlife that each carry a different vibe. And the Main Street corridor of downtown Dallas gets very busy on weekends (it's not a freakin' ghost town!). I don't know why people think its completely dead. The downtown in Dallas is much larger and less connected than what you find in FW. I think thats part of the problem. During the day time on weekends theres plenty of people in the West End and Dealey Plaza sight seeing. Of course there's room for improvement. It's just not fair to compare a city with one main go to area with a city with multiple scenes.

Old 09-09-2011, 06:00 PM

12,498 posts, read 27,004,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
I went to DFW for a visit back in 2010. I Have to say I wish I had booked my hotel in downtown Fort Worth instead of Downtown Dallas. On a gorgeous 80 degree day on a Saturday DT Dallas was dead. Dallas has a beautiful skyline/financial district, and a few good museums but not very stimulating to walk around. Cruising around North Dallas was fun, gawking at the wealthy neighborhoods, giant freeways, and Turtle Creek/Oak Lawn was nice, Uptown was OK. That said I thought downtown Fort Worth was more engaging to walk around, more to do at night, and a bit friendlier (IMO). With the Stockyards up the road (yeah I know touristy, but hey I was a tourist), Fort Worth was the quintessential Texas city I had in mind before coming to the Metroplex. If I ever went back I'd book a hotel in downtown Fort Worth for sure.
There is a new Omni Hotel in DT Fort Worth now. I'm sure its quite expensive though.

Old 10-02-2011, 09:22 PM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,612 posts, read 22,914,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
There is a new Omni Hotel in DT Fort Worth now. I'm sure its quite expensive though.
There's also a new Omni in DT Dallas. It has a boomerang shape from the top.

And after the PV/Gramblin' game (Go PANTHERS!), I took a stroll around downtown Dallas.

While I wont go as far to say that it's a GREAT place to be at night, I should admit that it's not so bad..... if you stay away from the alleys, of course. There probably were more people there since we had fans from the State Fair Classic AND Texas A&M/Arkansas game and it didn't feel as empty as it probably does, but it's not as bad as people make it seem.

That said, Downtown Fort Worth is STILL better.

Old 10-02-2011, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman Ark View Post
Fort Worth by a landslide, Dallas is boring and has nothing of relevance to do. Deep Ellum is okay but it offers nothing other cities already don't. Dallas's main tourist attraction is the JFK assassination site, Sundance Square beats that to a pulp. Dallas sucks, its just a typical place where people go to live and work nothing noteworthy about its dry brown prairie like appearance.
Well aren't you just a very pleasant person.

Next time try visiting Fair Park, Bishop Arts District, White Rock Lake, The Arts District, Turtle Creek and the many neighborhoods around downtown like Lakewood, M Streets, Uptown, Oak Lawn, Knox-Henderson, Etc. There's something for everyone in Dallas. Ft Worth's options are a lot more limited.

Old 10-02-2011, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman Ark View Post
None of those places are interesting. Dallas lacks history, culture, entertainment. It's a decent place for the middle class who want basic amenities but that's it. Been going to Dallas for the last 15 years and have never understood what people do here aside from eating, shopping, living, and working.
I'm not being argumentative, but I just don't see what Ft Worth offers that Dallas doesn't. Plus Dallas has a lot more areas to explore and more diverse, urban neighborhoods.

Downtown FW has a lot of restaurants, but mostly chains of what you would see in Dallas or suburbs, the stockyards are fine if you're into that sort of thing, but not anything to make Dallas feel lacking for not having. I just don't know what else FW has that makes it superior to Dallas?

To me, downtown FW is cute, but FW lacks big time when it comes to interesting neighborhoods.

There's not culture and entertainment in Dallas? umm......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City