Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which building looks better?
Bank of America Plaza (Dallas) 54 71.05%
JPMorgan Chase Tower (Houston) 22 28.95%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 10:33 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,239,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
The Bank of America Tower in Houston is pretty cool.
Very nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2009, 01:31 AM

2,531 posts, read 6,248,041 times
I'm one of the few people that actually like the BOA Tower in Dallas better in the daytime than I do at night. It has an elegant, understated look to it that really doesn't get emphasized enough. I've always found the green lighting to be cheesy, tacky and old fashioned and I actually think it detracts from the tower's look. I always wished that they lit up tower in the same fashion as the BOA Tower in Miami. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

The Chase Tower isn't the most attractive tower in Houston to me, but it is a supertall, so it gets my vote.

Old 11-26-2009, 08:23 AM

882 posts, read 2,244,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
I'm one of the few people that actually like the BOA Tower in Dallas better in the daytime than I do at night. It has an elegant, understated look to it that really doesn't get emphasized enough. I've always found the green lighting to be cheesy, tacky and old fashioned and I actually think it detracts from the tower's look. I always wished that they lit up tower in the same fashion as the BOA Tower in Miami. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

The Chase Tower isn't the most attractive tower in Houston to me, but it is a supertall, so it gets my vote.
No, there are few people outside of Dallas, that actually like its nightime lighting. A lot of people actually think its cheesy and tacky, but most Dallasites wont admit this, because it sort of grows on you. Its like one of the things that only are understood if you live in the city.

But for most people, including myself, the opinion still stands, its lighting is extremely tacky. But just MHO....

Old 11-26-2009, 10:50 AM

6,870 posts, read 14,852,499 times
Quote:

I agree with you about the lighting. It seems very 1980s to me, but I do like it during the daytime. I like when towers use lighting in a unique way but it has to be done just right or else it looks tacky. It's not too late for Dallas to change it up a bit. I hope they do.

I really like how the Memorial Hermann Plaza is lighted in The Texas Medical Center in Houston.

Old 11-26-2009, 11:39 AM

4,775 posts, read 8,836,877 times
I personally like the green light trimming on the BOA building and don't find it tackey at all.

Old 11-26-2009, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthmoreAve View Post
No, there are few people outside of Dallas, that actually like its nightime lighting. A lot of people actually think its cheesy and tacky, but most Dallasites wont admit this, because it sort of grows on you. Its like one of the things that only are understood if you live in the city.

But for most people, including myself, the opinion still stands, its lighting is extremely tacky. But just MHO....
A Houstonian critiquing a Dallas skyline now thats tacky lol Happy Thankgiving!!!

Old 11-26-2009, 01:20 PM

882 posts, read 2,244,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
A Houstonian critiquing a Dallas skyline now thats tacky lol Happy Thankgiving!!!
you can check back at the the thread, its not just Houstonians... 99% of people who actually think Dallas' lighting is NOT tacky, either
A. Are biased; boosters
B. Are current residents
C. Were former residents

Im sure you fall into at least one of those categories...

Also, arent you the one who think Dallas is winning in a skyline poll vs. San Francisco?

And im not critiquing the skyline, im critiquing its lighting schemes. Talking about lights here, not the skyline itself.

Old 11-26-2009, 07:48 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,248,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
I personally like the green light trimming on the BOA building and don't find it tackey at all.
Well good for you...

Old 11-26-2009, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Well good for you...
Thanks I guess that green light triming on the BOA grew on me.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_l5hJDc-mTXo/SvSgK6XYrrI/AAAAAAAADKo/gKYnH8qLNDo/s800/4075685842_3951275159_o.jpg (broken link)

http://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...skyline-4.html

Old 11-26-2009, 10:31 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,237,207 times
I picked JPMorgan Chase. Picutres don't do it much justice but once I saw it in person my opinion completely changed. I think its quite attractive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City