Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which building looks better?
Bank of America Plaza (Dallas) 54 71.05%
JPMorgan Chase Tower (Houston) 22 28.95%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 08:11 PM

882 posts, read 2,246,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigo5110 View Post
I should also add that Houston used to have a green outlined building now called the WEDGE International which is apparently home to the WEDGE Commercial Properties group. It was the inspiration of for the Bank of American Center in Dallas. However, it's no longer outlined in green at night....
Yes, its sad really, one of the reasons why I disliked Dallas' skyline was because of its tacky lighting, which was actually inspired by Houston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 10:17 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,060,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthmoreAve View Post
Yes, its sad really, one of the reasons why I disliked Dallas' skyline was because of its tacky lighting, which was actually inspired by Houston.
BOA Dallas looks very similar to the Williams Tower (Transco) in Houston.
Anyone else see a resemblance?

Old 04-09-2010, 12:27 AM

12,498 posts, read 27,006,609 times
Quote:
I should also add that Houston used to have a green outlined building now called the WEDGE International which is apparently home to the WEDGE Commercial Properties group. It was the inspiration of for the Bank of American Center in Dallas. However, it's no longer outlined in green at night....
Correction, Wedge didn't receive the green neon (argon) treatment till many years after BOA in Dallas was built. The mid 90's was when Wedge first lit its green lights.

Rumor has it they don't turn the lights on now because residents in near by high rise condos complained of it being too bright & if they do turn them on its only the very tops of the building for special occasions like Christmas. I personally have not seen the green neon turned on in several years & have not seen the building fully outlined in almost 10 years.

Old 04-09-2010, 12:56 AM

571 posts, read 1,282,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Correction, Wedge didn't receive the green neon (argon) treatment till many years after BOA in Dallas was built. The mid 90's was when Wedge first lit its green lights.

Rumor has it they don't turn the lights on now because residents in near by high rise condos complained of it being too bright & if they do turn them on its only the very tops of the building for special occasions like Christmas. I personally have not seen the green neon turned on in several years & have not seen the building fully outlined in almost 10 years.
Huh. Interesting. I'd always wondered what happened to those lights. I really wish Houston's skyline was more...colorful. I like the sleek modern look but I think a bit of color here and there at night wouldn't hurt. I know the top of Continental Plaza used to be lit up blue at night and now it's white. What happened to that? I think that the existing buildings downtown could be made more interesting at night (and not just outlining them in neon colors). I know the BoA center downtown has little lights during X-mas outlining the A-lines of it's three spikes...I wish those lights were on all year...

Old 04-09-2010, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Huh. Interesting. I'd always wondered what happened to those lights. I really wish Houston's skyline was more...colorful. I like the sleek modern look but I think a bit of color here and there at night wouldn't hurt. I know the top of Continental Plaza used to be lit up blue at night and now it's white. What happened to that? I think that the existing buildings downtown could be made more interesting at night (and not just outlining them in neon colors). I know the BoA center downtown has little lights during X-mas outlining the A-lines of it's three spikes...I wish those lights were on all year...
Continentals lease was up...seriously. No more blue lights with a faint Continental logo on top.

Houston is adding more colorful buildings at night. Phoenix Tower in Greenway Plaza & Memorial Hermann Tower off of the Katy Freeway are two I can think of right off the top of my head. The Texas Medical Centers skyline is also adding more as it continues to grow.

Old 04-09-2010, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Continentals lease was up...seriously. No more blue lights with a faint Continental logo on top.

Houston is adding more colorful buildings at night. Phoenix Tower in Greenway Plaza & Memorial Hermann Tower off of the Katy Freeway are two I can think of right off the top of my head. The Texas Medical Centers skyline is also adding more as it continues to grow.
Yeah, the TMC's skyline has changed dramatically in the last decade.

Old 04-09-2010, 05:54 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,864,340 times
Quote:

Both of those towers are tacky. Although the one in the TMC is very cool! The tower in Greenway Plaza is blinding when to drivers on hwy 59 when the sun hits it just right and the disaster on Interstate 10 is the ugliest tower ever built.

Old 04-09-2010, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
Both of those towers are tacky. Although the one in the TMC is very cool! The tower in Greenway Plaza is blinding when to drivers on hwy 59 when the sun hits it just right and the disaster on Interstate 10 is the ugliest tower ever built.
Umm, ok. If the sun bothers your eyes that bad I would suggest buying a decent pair of sun glasses. The Phoenix Towers new glass facade & lighting scheme was a much needed improvement IMO. It never hurts to update the look of older buildings.

The new Memorial Towers in the Med Center & on the Katy Freeway both look awesome at night. I love the crown design & those powerful flood lights shooting up a bright white light hundreds of feet into the night sky.

Old 04-09-2010, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Umm, ok. If the sun bothers your eyes that bad I would suggest buying a decent pair of sun glasses. The Phoenix Towers new glass facade & lighting scheme was a much needed improvement IMO. It never hurts to update the look of older buildings.

The new Memorial Towers in the Med Center & on the Katy Freeway both look awesome at night. I love the crown design & those powerful flood lights shooting up a bright white light hundreds of feet into the night sky.
I've seen that too, but on New Years they had multiple colored lights coming out from that crown design. Also they started constructing another medical building right next to it, I think that should be done soon.

Old 05-27-2010, 05:09 PM

145 posts, read 687,900 times
i really just don't like the chase tower BOA Dallas wins easily
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City