Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Tampa Versus Pittsburgh
TAMPA 80 31.75%
PITTSBURGH 149 59.13%
TOO CLOSE TO CALL 5 1.98%
UNDECIDED 3 1.19%
DON'T CARE 12 4.76%
NO OPINION 3 1.19%
Voters: 252. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 04:14 PM

2,413 posts, read 5,748,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
with my eyes closed so I WOULDN'T have to look at "paradise", I would. I don't want to even think about it right now, since I am in MY own "paradise" in the cold, snowy, mountains in a ski chalet. Probably enough to make any Florida lover have a nervous breakdown.

Anyway, Pittsburgh may not be in the mountains, but there are mountains in Pa. though, and it does get cold and snowy in Pittsburgh.
So that explains why New Yorkers are America's worst drivers

It was just a joke, don't everyone get all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2010, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
I am fit so I like to exercise. Plus snow is georgeous and very enjoyable. There a huge industry dedicated to it.
If you can find the positive in doing a pain in the a** chore like that, good for you.

Old 02-19-2010, 04:31 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,335,279 times
Pittsburgh is an industrial graveyard with a rapidly falling population, high house prices, and high crime. Tampa has none of these things. The recession threw a curve ball at Tampa, but we haven't struck out yet. If anything, Tampa will emerge out of this this recession stronger and more prosperous than ever because housing prices will be more affordable.

After this recession is over, Pittsburgh will still be in decline, as it has been for 50 years.

Whether or not which city is better to live in is up to interpretation and opinion. Which city is more important is almost a no brainer in my opinion, and that is Tampa. The future of America will be dominated by the South, because of our rapid population growth. This gives Tampa a huge edge over pittsburgh in terms of investment prospects.

The cold weather is crippling the old north. The only city up there that grew more (percentage wise) than America as a whole over the past ten years is Minneapolis.

Old 02-19-2010, 08:34 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,657,162 times
Default My snowbird neighbors from Pa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
I'm fit so I like to exercise too. Thats why I go to the park and run on the trails, swim laps in the local lap pools, play football basketball soccer tennis etc year round, all outdoors. Something you can't really do up north. Why do you think so many sports teams come to FL for off season training..

My family from NY was down here in FL this past week and they were bummed because the weather wasn't really as warm as they were hoping, they were even complaining about it being too cold during the evenings nights and mornings, but they were still glad to be out of the below freezing weather in NY. They said that during the winter months they never go outside, besides right after it snows for the first time, then it gets old really fast.
said the same thing. They stayed inside. The wife even joked that I am the only one sitting outside on their lanai when it's 45 degrees.

If I can stay outside in single digits, 40s is almost balmy for me. I've been called the polar bear by coworkers many times.

I seriously cannot take the heat (70+) at all and it gets worse by the year.

Old 02-19-2010, 08:43 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,559,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Fla View Post
I'd rather be poor in Tampa than rich in Pittsburgh.
That would explain the sorry state of Florida. Floridians must accept that you are the new Jamaica or Puerto Rico, your economy will be tourism and retirees. Low-wages and poor job opportunities will abound. The only reason you are getting a light rail is to transport tourists from Disney to the Tampa beaches because Orlando has no beach. Your consistant rank as worst place for young professionals is a prediction of your fate.

Old 02-19-2010, 09:00 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,573,827 times
Greedy unions is what hurt Pittsburgh and for the fact they did not upgrade their factories,union greed has brought this country to its knees and that is why they call the northeast the rust belt,sad but true as almost everything today is in the service and technology industry.

Old 02-19-2010, 09:05 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,559,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
Greedy unions is what hurt Pittsburgh and for the fact they did not upgrade their factories,union greed has brought this country to its knees and that is why they call the northeast the rust belt,sad but true as almost everything today is in the service and technology industry.
Unions are the foundation of America's labor force. Without them the American worker would be exploited and abused. Just look at the horrible work enviroment and wages of non-union states.

Old 02-19-2010, 09:09 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,326,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
I'm fit so I like to exercise too. Thats why I go to the park and run on the trails, swim laps in the local lap pools, play football basketball soccer tennis etc year round, all outdoors. Something you can't really do up north. Why do you think so many sports teams come to FL for off season training..

My family from NY was down here in FL this past week and they were bummed because the weather wasn't really as warm as they were hoping, they were even complaining about it being too cold during the evenings nights and mornings, but they were still glad to be out of the below freezing weather in NY. They said that during the winter months they never go outside, besides right after it snows for the first time, then it gets old really fast.
I'm the same way, I never go outside for the fun of it in Winter, it really sucks that a whole season is like a waste of time. I do like one or two snowstorms but when the sun comes back out I hate the snow. I'm happy that I can actually feel Spring on the way. This is just one reason why I chose Tampa, I couldn't live in Pittsburgh, its colder than where I live.

TANaples you really are a Polar bear, I'm more of a Coconut Palm lol.

Old 02-19-2010, 09:14 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,573,827 times
Quote:
Unions are the foundation of America's labor force. Without them the American worker would be exploited and abused. Just look at the horrible work enviroment and wages of non-union states.
You better think through that again,because they are making steel in Japan and other places,you wonder why? The Reagan Administration had a part in it also no doubt.

Old 02-19-2010, 10:36 PM

Quote:
So was slavery, and we got rid of that for a reason.

And don't bring up the flag again. That has nothing to do with slavery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City