Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Miami (South FL) energy or Los Angeles energy
Miami 49 54.44%
Los Angeles 41 45.56%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 01:47 PM

1,885 posts, read 3,401,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoneandonlyLA View Post
Crazy talk. Miami is a suburb compared to LA. LA is the epitome of vibrancy and diversity. Miami can't compare.

LA doesn't have to show off. Especially versus Miami.
Compelling point. I knew this comment had to have come from a current resident. The only thing I saw more of in LA than Miami was people and unnecessary traffic. For my personal taste Miami has the more impressive/expansive skyline, better nightlife, and just seems to have more “flavor”. That’s not to say that LA is a slouch; Miami just gave me more of what I needed as a tourist/metro enthusiast.

Last edited by NorthDeKalb; 05-09-2010 at 02:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2010, 02:07 PM

27,559 posts, read 28,652,113 times
From what I remember, both South Beach and Santa Monica beach are good. But South Beach is somewhat more vibrant, and this is coming from someone who's not that big into beaches.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 05-09-2010 at 02:17 PM..

Old 05-09-2010, 02:10 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,043,145 times
Quote:
Well, that's you. The fact that LA is and continues to be the corner of the universe says it all.
Hey, Your back!!

I think as far as energy goes LA has the upper hand over Miami, because Los Angeles has everything Miami does, but to a larger extent.

Old 05-09-2010, 02:22 PM

1,885 posts, read 3,401,567 times
Quote:
Well, that's you. The fact that LA is and continues to be the corner of the universe says it all.
Oh it’s not just me. I invited one of my friends (an Atlanta resident) to accompany me while visiting LA. We stayed at the St. Regis in Dana Point for a week; we also visited San Diego while there. Yes, we both had a good time…California is pretty with the hills and all, but neither of us were particularly wowed by LA and this was her first time visiting and my third. On the other hand, the same friend was with me while visiting Miami for two weeks recently and she was wowed just as I was. The vibrancy is definitely more overt in Miami I think…you don’t have to look for it- it finds you; especially in South Beach. Everyone I know personally that visited both cities came to the same conclusion that we did.

Old 05-09-2010, 03:09 PM

Theoretically, you can find anything you can imagine in LA, even if it does take a lifetime of searching.

Old 05-09-2010, 03:13 PM

I find LA to be the largest city in the USA to have different terrain all around. Mountains, flatlands, coasts, etc... it's got it all in one small area.

It has a skyline, it has entertainment, it is on the coast, it has mountains, it can be very green in certain areas, it has professional sports, it has theme parks, it has beaches, it has public transportation, etc...

Miami, the thing is that it's restricted to such a small space, but props to the city for vertical expansion, they have made numerous headlines for their expanding infrastructure. It gives most other southern cities a good run for their money.

Old 05-09-2010, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
I find LA to be the largest city in the USA to have different terrain all around. Mountains, flatlands, coasts, etc... it's got it all in one small area.

It has a skyline, it has entertainment, it is on the coast, it has mountains, it can be very green in certain areas, it has professional sports, it has theme parks, it has beaches, it has public transportation, etc...
I agree LA has a little bit of everything. It's kind of a sampler/appetizer city before the main course elsewhere.

Old 05-09-2010, 03:22 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Miami's more vibrant in people's eyes because it's smaller and the vibrant areas are easier to get to. LA is alot more MASSIVE and spread out. If you took LA's vibrant areas, put them together, and matched them with Miami, it would be a battle.

Old 05-09-2010, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Miami's more vibrant in people's eyes because it's smaller and the vibrant areas are easier to get to. LA is alot more MASSIVE and spread out. If you took LA's vibrant areas, put them together, and matched them with Miami, it would be a battle.
Agreed, this is a pretty fair match up in certain respects.

I wouldn't have put LA with anyone else, well maybe Las Vegas, but that's about it.

NYC and LA would've been far too subjective for this thread to measure.

And DC, San Fran, and Chicago are all a tier under LA in vibrancy and possibly Miami.

Old 05-09-2010, 03:26 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
I DO though think that LA is THE most entertaining city in the US. Even more so than NYC. The only reason why some people don't like LA is because it's spread out, but if it had NYC type public transit, it would be no contest in my eyes. The thing that sets LA apart for me, is it's VARIETY in things to do. Other cities don't have the same variety as LA does as far as places of interest go. There must be at least 400 places of interest in LA. They're just hard to get to. There is not much you can do in NYC and Miami that you can't do LA. But there is MUCH you can do in LA, that wouldn't be possible in NYC and Miami.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City